2005-04-14 15:49:44

by Frederic Danis

Subject: [Bluez-devel] BlueZ investigation

Hi,

In our move to Linux, we are investigating different Bluetooth stacks
(proprietary or free).
About BlueZ, I am asked about interoperability issues: do you know if
there are companies attending the unplugged fests to test their
BlueZ-based products? Do you have info about commercial devices
interoperating with BlueZ?
Please, send me any comments that can help me to decide my managment.

Thanks!

Fred

Danis Frederic PalmSource Europe
Software engineer
Mail : mailto:[email protected]

by Charles Bueche

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] BlueZ investigation

Hi Fred,

you would be wise to use bluez for at least the following 2 reasons :

- it's delivered with the stock kernel, so you won't depend on a vendor
for updates
- my T5 crashes too often while I do Bluetooth operations. Don't know
what you have been used until now in PalmOs, but Bluez is magnitudes
better in stability.

my 2ct worth.
Charles

On jeu, 2005-04-14 at 17:49 +0200, Frederic Danis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In our move to Linux, we are investigating different Bluetooth stacks
> (proprietary or free).
> About BlueZ, I am asked about interoperability issues: do you know if
> there are companies attending the unplugged fests to test their
> BlueZ-based products? Do you have info about commercial devices
> interoperating with BlueZ?
> Please, send me any comments that can help me to decide my managment.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fred

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Fred,

> In our move to Linux, we are investigating different Bluetooth stacks
> (proprietary or free).
> About BlueZ, I am asked about interoperability issues: do you know if
> there are companies attending the unplugged fests to test their
> BlueZ-based products? Do you have info about commercial devices
> interoperating with BlueZ?
> Please, send me any comments that can help me to decide my managment.

I can't answer your question about the UnPlugFest tests, because I think
it is in direct violation of its NDA. However with WideRay and TomTom
you got two companies that successfully used BlueZ in their products and
both products are qualified. I also think that Motorola is using BlueZ
in their Bluetooth enabled Linux phone, but since I haven't got a demo
unit, I can't tell you for sure.

Since Monday BlueZ itself is qualified and if you wanna test against
BlueZ at the UPF-21 in Singapore, I think we can arrange something,
because I will be there at the security table.

Talking about interoperability is always a little bit complex. However I
think that BlueZ has the best interoperability with different commercial
products. We dealt with so many wrong implementation in the past and in
most cases BlueZ works fine. Be more specific about your concerns or
with your questions.

Regards

Marcel