2004-08-13 00:25:14

by Jean Tourrilhes

Subject: CSR firmware question...

Hi guys,

A few questions regarding CSR firmware : what's a commonly
available BT USB dongle with a recent CSR firmware.

Long story :
I'm hitting various bugs with the CSR firmware in my D-Link
USB dongles (0x1bb), where I can easilly deadlock the dongle. My 3Com
dongle, which has a more recent firmware (0x20e), behave much better,
but not perfect.
D-Link doesn't provide a firmware updater, but, beeing
fearless, I tried to firmware upgrade a D-Link dongle and ended up
with a dead dongle (can't even put back the original firmware on it).
From the release notes, the latest CSR firmwares have zillions
of bug fixes. I really wonder how I can enjoy the bug fixes.

Thanks in advance...

Jean

P.S. : Marcel, do you have a version of btdfu that can write the
firmware image to the dongle ? Or some documentation ?

2004-08-16 08:24:52

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] Re: CSR firmware question...

Hi Rod,

> Is btdfu app USB only?

yes, it is USB only.

> A quick skim through the source leads me to believe it is. Will their be
> a UART one?

I have no plans to do this and even if I find the time for it, I won't
do it, because I don't need it. Actually the upgrade support of version
0.3 is only there, because a company paid me for writing it.

Regards

Marcel

by Roderick Taylor

Is btdfu app USB only?

A quick skim through the source leads me to believe it is. Will their be
a UART one?

Rod.

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 09:31, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> > A few questions regarding CSR firmware : what's a commonly
> > available BT USB dongle with a recent CSR firmware.
>
> as I know there are only dongles with HCI 16.14 firmware available.
>
> > I'm hitting various bugs with the CSR firmware in my D-Link
> > USB dongles (0x1bb), where I can easilly deadlock the dongle. My 3Com
> > dongle, which has a more recent firmware (0x20e), behave much better,
> > but not perfect.
> > D-Link doesn't provide a firmware updater, but, beeing
> > fearless, I tried to firmware upgrade a D-Link dongle and ended up
> > with a dead dongle (can't even put back the original firmware on it).
> > From the release notes, the latest CSR firmwares have zillions
> > of bug fixes. I really wonder how I can enjoy the bug fixes.
>
> The D-Link dongle DBT-120 (Rev B3) can be updated using the Apple
> firmware update file. After that it will be HCI 18.1 with default boot
> mode set to HID. Maybe other revisions of the D-Link dongle don't work
> and I already put some of dongles to death while playing with firmware
> upgrade.
>
> > P.S. : Marcel, do you have a version of btdfu that can write the
> > firmware image to the dongle ? Or some documentation ?
>
> I never announced the new version of the btdfu, but now as you asked for
> it, here it is:
>
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/btdfu-0.3.tar.gz
>
> Use it at your own risk, because you can kill your dongle !!!
>
> Read what the CSR guys had written about signed firmware and that it is
> not possible to move firmware from one manufacturer to another !!!
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Carl Orsborn

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] CSR firmware question...

Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

>>Can you reveal what you're doing with the CSR device when
>>you suffer deadlock? We may recognise the symptoms, and possibly
>>know of a workaround or of fixed firmware.
>>

> Trivial deadlock :
> initiating a connection to a device within 80ms of receiving
>incomming connection from same device. Unknown if bug is in fw or
>stack, but firmware deadlock.

Is the incoming connection a connection request from the remote device, or a
connection complete?

If the latter, is it from an auto-accept filter, or from your host
accepting the connection?

This feels as though it might be from an LMP collision - one of the
nastier elements
of the baseband specification. When collisions occur (two devices
initiate LMP
transactions at the "same" time) the firmware sometimes defends itself
with lengthy
timeouts, but I'm unaware of any resulting deadlocks in current firmware.

> Intermitent failure :
> Initiating connection (page) within 20ms of bringing HCI
>device up. Sometime it works, sometime it doesn't.

I assume "bringing HCI device up" means your local BT device. The CSR
device should be ready for a single HCI command as soon as the host
transport
is established, though to signal readiness, the device sends a NOP
command_complete
to the host when it starts. I don't know if your host code waits for this.

It's fairly common for host stacks to use an HCI Reset command after a
device
has started. I don't know if your host code does so, but this shouldn't
matter.

You say the device sometimes doesn't work. How does the host perceive
the command doesn't work? Failure to respond, or command rejected?

Carl

2004-08-13 23:59:19

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: [Bluez-devel] Re: CSR firmware question...

Hi Jean,

> > your firmware update must be successful, because this looks like a
> > dongle with HCI 18.1 firmware in HID mode. Use hid2hci. It must work.
>
> Found the reason. Under 2.6.X, hid2hci doesn't work. On the
> other hand, works fine in 2.4.X. And of course need to be done every
> time I plug the dongle.

I just checked it and it works under 2.6. I don't know what's wrong with
your kernel or system?

There exists a PS key for the boot mode that you can change to always
boot up the dongle in HCI mode.

Regards

Marcel

by Jean Tourrilhes

Subject: Re: CSR firmware question...

On Sat, Aug 14, 2004 at 01:35:27AM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> your firmware update must be successful, because this looks like a
> dongle with HCI 18.1 firmware in HID mode. Use hid2hci. It must work.

Found the reason. Under 2.6.X, hid2hci doesn't work. On the
other hand, works fine in 2.4.X. And of course need to be done every
time I plug the dongle.
Hmm...

> Regards
>
> Marcel

Jean

2004-08-13 23:35:27

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jean,

> > try running hid2hci :)
>
> Try, and it won't work, the device doesn't even have a control
> pipe anymore. Dead.

as far as I know, every USB device has a control endpoint.

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 06:57:14PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> > > The D-Link dongle DBT-120 (Rev B3) can be updated using the Apple
> > > firmware update file. After that it will be HCI 18.1 with default boot
> > > mode set to HID.
> >
> > This is exactly what I did. I have a rev B3, and I used Apple
> > file.
> > What do you mean default boot set to HID ? I look similar to
> > what I'm seeing.
>
> try running hid2hci :)

Try, and it won't work, the device doesn't even have a control
pipe anymore. Dead.

> If this does not work, show us /proc/bus/usb/devices.

T: Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=01 Cnt=02 Dev#= 5 Spd=12 MxCh= 0
D: Ver= 1.10 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS= 8 #Cfgs= 1
P: Vendor=0a12 ProdID=1000 Rev=12.41
C:* #Ifs= 2 Cfg#= 1 Atr=e0 MxPwr= 0mA
I: If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=01 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=81(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=1ms
I: If#= 1 Alt= 0 #EPs= 1 Cls=03(HID ) Sub=01 Prot=02 Driver=(none)
E: Ad=82(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS= 16 Ivl=1ms

(That's with 2.4.X. Under 2.6.X, I can't make sense of the usb stuff).

> Regards
>
> Marcel

Have fun...

Jean

2004-08-13 18:07:48

by Jean Tourrilhes

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 11:49:36AM +0100, Carl Orsborn wrote:
> Hi, Jean,
>
> Can you reveal what you're doing with the CSR device when
> you suffer deadlock? We may recognise the symptoms, and possibly
> know of a workaround or of fixed firmware.

Trivial deadlock :
initiating a connection to a device within 80ms of receiving
incomming connection from same device. Unknown if bug is in fw or
stack, but firmware deadlock.

Intermitent failure :
Initiating connection (page) within 20ms of bringing HCI
device up. Sometime it works, sometime it doesn't.

> Build 0x1bb is "HCI 15.3", released in August 2002. Build 0x20e
> is "HCI 16.4", released in October 2002. HCI 16.4 introduced
> basic scatternet support and fixed some issues in HCI 15.3.

Thanks.

> HCI 16.14 (build 0x33d) was published to product manufacturers
> in April 2003. This fixed a handful of issues in HCI 16.4. You
> may be able to get hold of this, but I have no knowledge of
> what firmware D-Link have tested with their hardware and have
> subsequently (signed and?) published.

None, as far as I can see. That's why I was looking at other
vendors.

> If your hardware is suitable (i.e., if it has an 8 Mbit flash
> device), you may be able to load HCI 18.1 or HCI 18.2; these
> support BT 1.2.
>
> Carl

Thanks for the info.

Jean

2004-08-13 17:02:26

by David Woodhouse

On Fri, 2004-08-13 at 09:37 -0700, Jean Tourrilhes wrote:
> What do you mean default boot set to HID ? I look similar to
> what I'm seeing.

It appears as a HID device instead of a Bluetooth device. Presumably so
that the PeeCee BIOS can use a Bluetooth keyboard as if it were a USB
keyboard, and do its emulation thing to make _that_ appear as a PS/2
keyboard....

Try running 'hid2hci' from recent bluez-utils. It should 'convert' it
back to being an HCI device again.

--
dwmw2

2004-08-13 16:57:14

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jean,

> > The D-Link dongle DBT-120 (Rev B3) can be updated using the Apple
> > firmware update file. After that it will be HCI 18.1 with default boot
> > mode set to HID.
>
> This is exactly what I did. I have a rev B3, and I used Apple
> file.
> What do you mean default boot set to HID ? I look similar to
> what I'm seeing.

try running hid2hci :)

On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 10:31:17AM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Jean,
>
> > A few questions regarding CSR firmware : what's a commonly
> > available BT USB dongle with a recent CSR firmware.
>
> as I know there are only dongles with HCI 16.14 firmware available.

And...

> > I'm hitting various bugs with the CSR firmware in my D-Link
> > USB dongles (0x1bb), where I can easilly deadlock the dongle. My 3Com
> > dongle, which has a more recent firmware (0x20e), behave much better,
> > but not perfect.
> > D-Link doesn't provide a firmware updater, but, beeing
> > fearless, I tried to firmware upgrade a D-Link dongle and ended up
> > with a dead dongle (can't even put back the original firmware on it).
> > From the release notes, the latest CSR firmwares have zillions
> > of bug fixes. I really wonder how I can enjoy the bug fixes.
>
> The D-Link dongle DBT-120 (Rev B3) can be updated using the Apple
> firmware update file. After that it will be HCI 18.1 with default boot
> mode set to HID.

This is exactly what I did. I have a rev B3, and I used Apple
file.
What do you mean default boot set to HID ? I look similar to
what I'm seeing.

> Maybe other revisions of the D-Link dongle don't work
> and I already put some of dongles to death while playing with firmware
> upgrade.

Yep, seems easy.

> > P.S. : Marcel, do you have a version of btdfu that can write the
> > firmware image to the dongle ? Or some documentation ?
>
> I never announced the new version of the btdfu, but now as you asked for
> it, here it is:
>
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/btdfu-0.3.tar.gz
>
> Use it at your own risk, because you can kill your dongle !!!

Actually, I realised that I can't even use that, the dongle no
longer has a control pipe. Grrr....

> Read what the CSR guys had written about signed firmware and that it is
> not possible to move firmware from one manufacturer to another !!!

Yep, I read that, I won't comment to stay polite.

> Regards
>
> Marcel

Jean

2004-08-13 10:49:36

by Carl Orsborn

Hi, Jean,

Jean Tourrilhes wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> A few questions regarding CSR firmware : what's a commonly
> available BT USB dongle with a recent CSR firmware.
>
> Long story :
> I'm hitting various bugs with the CSR firmware in my D-Link
> USB dongles (0x1bb), where I can easilly deadlock the dongle. My 3Com
> dongle, which has a more recent firmware (0x20e), behave much better,
> but not perfect.
> D-Link doesn't provide a firmware updater, but, beeing
> fearless, I tried to firmware upgrade a D-Link dongle and ended up
> with a dead dongle (can't even put back the original firmware on it).
> From the release notes, the latest CSR firmwares have zillions
> of bug fixes. I really wonder how I can enjoy the bug fixes.
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> Jean
>
> P.S. : Marcel, do you have a version of btdfu that can write the
> firmware image to the dongle ? Or some documentation ?

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jean,