2007-12-07 14:22:40

by gpolack

Subject: [Bluez-devel] BlueZ protocol stack on microcontroller

Hello,

I'm new to using Bluetooth modules and would appreciate some guidance.
I'm connecting a Bluetooth module that has a UART interface to a
microcontroller, and I wish to use the BlueZ protocol stack to talk to
the module but I know nothing about how the protocol works. Can it be
configured to talk via UART to the module? Also, what is the minimal
set of functions one would need for simple data transfer between two
Bluetooth modules, no stereo audio, or other fancy stuff? My questions
will get more specific as I start understanding how this all works.

Thank you,
Jorge

by 迎宾 高

Hi,
mebay you should know which protocols and which profile the Bluetooth module is working. If you plan to define a simple spec yourself, you can just use l2cap layer or hci layer interface.
> Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:22:40 -0500> From: [email protected]> To: [email protected]> Subject: [Bluez-devel] BlueZ protocol stack on microcontroller> > Hello,> > I'm new to using Bluetooth modules and would appreciate some guidance. > I'm connecting a Bluetooth module that has a UART interface to a > microcontroller, and I wish to use the BlueZ protocol stack to talk to > the module but I know nothing about how the protocol works. Can it be > configured to talk via UART to the module? Also, what is the minimal > set of functions one would need for simple data transfer between two > Bluetooth modules, no stereo audio, or other fancy stuff? My questions > will get more specific as I start understanding how this all works.> > Thank you,> Jorge> > > > > -------------------------------------------------------------------------> SF.Net email is sponsored by:> Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.> It's the best place to buy or sell services for
Discover the new Windows Vista

(No filename) (277.00 B)
(No filename) (164.00 B)
Download all attachments

On Friday 07 December 2007 09:22:40 [email protected] wrote:
> I'm new to using Bluetooth modules and would appreciate some guidance.
> I'm connecting a Bluetooth module that has a UART interface to a
> microcontroller, and I wish to use the BlueZ protocol stack to talk to
> the module but I know nothing about how the protocol works. Can it be
> configured to talk via UART to the module? Also, what is the minimal
> set of functions one would need for simple data transfer between two
> Bluetooth modules, no stereo audio, or other fancy stuff? My questions
> will get more specific as I start understanding how this all works.

You want to use the hciattach. I have used this on one of my MCF5282 designs
when talking to A7eng's bluetooth modules.

hciattach creates an hci device and brokers all requests over the UART to the
bluetooth module. From that point on you use everyday standard utilities to
manipulate the hci device that was created.

-A.

by Peter Wippich

Jorge,

> Hello,
>
> I'm new to using Bluetooth modules and would appreciate some guidance.
> I'm connecting a Bluetooth module that has a UART interface to a
> microcontroller, and I wish to use the BlueZ protocol stack to talk to
> the module but I know nothing about how the protocol works. Can it be
> configured to talk via UART to the module? Also, what is the minimal
> set of functions one would need for simple data transfer between two
> Bluetooth modules, no stereo audio, or other fancy stuff? My questions
> will get more specific as I start understanding how this all works.
>
> Thank you,
> Jorge

when your micro runs linux, then you should use Bluez. But from your mail
I suggest it doesn't. Than BlueZ won't be an real option because it
heavily depends on the operating system.

In the latter case you may
a) buy a commercial BT stack which is not OS dependend.
b) write your own stack (I don't think to use BlueZ as a base would be a
good idea)
c) use a BT chip / modul with build in stack

Ciao,

Peter

| Peter Wippich Voice: +49 30 46776411 |
| G&W Instruments GmbH fax: +49 30 46776419 |
| Gustav-Meyer-Allee 25, Geb. 12 Email: [email protected] |
| D-13355 Berlin / Germany |