2003-02-11 20:01:42

by Maksim Yevmenkin

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] How do I obtain a free PSM automatically?

Max Krasnyansky wrote:

> At 10:04 AM 2/11/2003 -0800, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> >> Basically, my problem is that when you have a device where you can
> >> install/remove services created from various manufacturers, there must exist
> >> a global agreement about PSM allocations. For example, suppose I install 2
> >> services which are manufactured from entities A and B. Now, A decides that it
> >> will receive connections on PSM 15000 and B chooses 16004. No problem. If by
> >> pure bad luck they had chosen the same PSM, I would be unable to run both
> >> concurrently. Ideally, each would obtain an arbitrary PSM when it was
> >> launched and publish its contact address via some other mechanism.
> >
> >life sucks, isn't it? :) http://www.iana.org/ is in control of "well known"
> >IP ports, but nothing prevents you from running HTTP server on port 23
> >and telnet on port 80. i presume http://www.bluetooth.org/ or something
> >like this will assign PSM to different manufacturers. but again there is
> >no way you can control decisions made by the particular manufacturer.
> >everybody should play nice :)
> >
> >i agree you have control over the IP ports (most of the time). but nobody
> >will run public web server on any port other then 80 (or 443). you can not
> >run two *different* web servers bound to the same IP and port (IP aliases
> >and virtual servers do not count :)
>
> You can really tell if person has "ALL IP" mentality :).
> I'm that kind of person myself.

i was trying to explain it in "IP terms" since orignal post
was about comparing IP and Bluetooth :) i'm trying to keep
my mind open :)

> btw Originally PSM was supposed to be assigned by Bluetooth SIG. ie. Just like
> well known IP port. And then some "clever" people came up with the idea of dynamic
> PSMs (probably the same people decided that PSM field needs 'an extension
> bit' and made half of the PSMs space invalid). Unfortunately those "clever"
> people didn't realize that [:[dynamic CID] is stupid.

well there is nothing *really* wrong with extenstion. i think
it is just a safeguard. however i think this is way to optimistic.
i just can't imagine that Bluetooth can ever use up all 65536
or even 32768) PSMs. IP has lived with 65536 ports since the
day one. i missed "dynamic PSM" stuff. was it somewhere is spec?

> When you add [dynamic DLCI] op top for RFCOMM sessions it becomes ridiculous :).
> And I'm not even sure what to call it when you add [dynamic OBEX channel] ;-)

whoa! i missed them too :) what exactly dynamic DLCI and
dynamic OBEX channel mean? does it mean that user select
channel (DLCI) and give to server app? or does it mean
that server app itself somehow figures out available DCLI
and get it?

and what the hell is dynamic OBEX channel? OBEX works
over RFCOMM so it needs RFCOMM channel (DLCI), right?

> Anyhow, we may have to provide dynamic PSM and DLCI service just because it may
> become a common thing on other platforms and stacks.

examples please :) what platforms/stacks do support these
features? how they use it?

thanks,
max

2003-02-11 21:09:17

by Max Krasnyansky

At 12:01 PM 2/11/2003 -0800, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
>> btw Originally PSM was supposed to be assigned by Bluetooth SIG. ie. Just like
>> well known IP port. And then some "clever" people came up with the idea of dynamic
>> PSMs (probably the same people decided that PSM field needs 'an extension
>> bit' and made half of the PSMs space invalid). Unfortunately those "clever"
>> people didn't realize that [:[dynamic CID] is stupid.
>
>well there is nothing *really* wrong with extenstion.
In Bluetooth case there is :). They simply reduced available number of PSMs by half.
Current spec does not permit PSM field to be longer than two bytes.
Actually it's not even half it a quarter because first bit of the second byte must
always be 0. So only 16384 out of 65535 are available.

>i think it is just a safeguard. however i think this is way to optimistic.
>i just can't imagine that Bluetooth can ever use up all 65536
>or even 32768) PSMs. IP has lived with 65536 ports since the
>day one.
My point exactly.

>i missed "dynamic PSM" stuff. was it somewhere is spec?
Here is PSM definition from 1.1 spec
----
Protocol/Service Multiplexor (PSM): 2 octets (minimum)
The PSM field is two octets (minimum) in length. The structure of the PSM
field is based on the ISO 3309 extension mechanism for address fields. All
PSM values must be ODD, that is, the least significant bit of the least signifi-cant
octet must be ?1?. Also, all PSM values must be assigned such that the
least significant bit of the most significant octet equals ?0?. This allows the
PSM field to be extended beyond 16 bits. PSM values are separated into
two ranges. Values in the first range are assigned by the Bluetooth SIG and
indicate protocols. The second range of values are dynamically allocated
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
and used in conjunction with the Service Discovery Protocol (SDP). The
dynamically assigned values may be used to support multiple implementa-tions
of a particular protocol

PSM value Description
0x0001 Service Discovery Protocol
0x0003 RFCOMM
0x0005 Telephony Control Protocol
<0x1000 RESERVED
[0x1001-0xFFFF] DYNAMICALLY ASSIGNED
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
----
btw Fellas according to the extension bit rules 0xFFFF is illegal PSM.
0xfeff is the last legal one.

>> When you add [dynamic DLCI] op top for RFCOMM sessions it becomes ridiculous :).
>> And I'm not even sure what to call it when you add [dynamic OBEX channel] ;-)
>
>whoa! i missed them too :) what exactly dynamic DLCI and
>dynamic OBEX channel mean? does it mean that user select
>channel (DLCI) and give to server app? or does it mean
>that server app itself somehow figures out available DCLI
>and get it?
Same as PSM. Server allocates RFCOMM channel number dynamically and registers it with SDP.

>and what the hell is dynamic OBEX channel? OBEX works
>over RFCOMM so it needs RFCOMM channel (DLCI), right?
OBEX has Connection Id and stuff. So it also does it's own multiplexing.

>> Anyhow, we may have to provide dynamic PSM and DLCI service just because it may
>> become a common thing on other platforms and stacks.
>
>examples please :) what platforms/stacks do support these features?
I believe Widcomm BTW supports it.
And if I remember correctly Palm OS stack has something like that too.

>how they use it?
Server dynamically allocates PSM and registers it with SDP.

Max