2004-03-31 15:13:43

by Simon Vogl

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] sco / csr final notes

Steven Singer wrote:
> Simon Vogl wrote:
>
>>oh, sorry: well, after trying for weeks, I see always the same behavior of
>>the sco data: after a connect of the sco channel, the data is either byte-swapped
>>or offset by one byte, but no indication in any header etc. can be found why
>>this is the case.
>

> Is the problem that the link spontaneously changes from correct to noisy
> in the middle of a link, or is it that when you start up a link it's
> either OK for the durection of the link, or noisy for the duration of
> the link and then when you tear it down and start a fresh link, the next
> one is, independently, correct our noisy?
>
> If it's the latter case, is the first link after a full reset (BCCMD
> reset or power cycle - not merely an HCI reset) ever noisy?

the latter is the case. Whenever a fresh sco link starts, I have a 50% chance of
getting the wrong byte order..

I still have to try how it reacts after a cold reset, as I dont have a developer kit -
I just downloaded the bccmd spec, and I need to write a small piece of software to
transmit this command.... But I will tell you as soon as I know.

>>Marcel, do you I can bug with this at csr?
>

> You should use the CSR public newsgroups (follow the links from the CSR
> web site), though, in practice, making enough noise on this mailing list
> will eventually attract the attention from someone at CSR (there are
> several people here who subscribe).

I have already, thanks, and will beat the bush shortly. I have to get several other
flaws straight first - I am over an important project deadline already, but that's
a different story :(

Simon

> - Steven

Dr. Simon Vogl
Institut f?r Pervasive Computing, Johannes Kepler Universit?t Linz
Altenberger Stra?e 69, A-4040 Linz, Austria

Tel: +43 732 2468-8517, Fax: +43 732 2468-8426
mailto: [email protected], http://www.soft.uni-linz.ac.at/

2004-03-31 20:29:20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi James,

> The dongle manufacturer is Mitsumi, and I cannot find any firmware files
> for it.
> Does anyone know of any url that might have updated firmware for this
> device ?

I already talked to Mitsumi and they don't plan to provide firmware
updates for their dongles.

Regards

Marcel

by James Courtier-Dutton

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi James,
>

>>Just out of interest, how does one upgrade the firmware on a USB device
>>using a CSR chip ?
>>
>>I have this device: -
>>
>>bash-2.05b# hciconfig hci0 version
>>hci0: Type: USB
>> BD Address: 00:A0:96:1F:42:BF ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
>> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x135 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP
>>Subver: 0x135
>> Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>>
>>bash-2.05b# hciconfig hci0 revision
>>hci0: Type: USB
>> BD Address: 00:A0:96:1F:42:BF ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
>> HCI 13.10
>> Chip version: BlueCore01b
>> Max key size: 56 bit
>> SCO mapping: HCI
>

> you need a *.dfu firmware file from your dongle manufacturer.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

The dongle manufacturer is Mitsumi, and I cannot find any firmware files
for it.
Does anyone know of any url that might have updated firmware for this
device ?

Cheers
James

2004-03-31 19:36:15

Steven Singer wrote:
> [...]
> Appendix D ? Issues Addressed Relative to HCI 16.4
>
> [...]
>
> ID: B.104, H16.169
> Severity: High
>
> If a system routes HCI SCO channels over USB, there is a high
> probability that if two SCO channels are opened, and then one of them is
> closed, then the firmware will crash. This problem has not been seen if
> only one SCO channel is routed over USB. There is a related, but
> technically independent, problem. >>>If a USB SCO link is closed, and
> then a new USB SCO link is opened, it is possible for the second link?s
> from-air audio to be badly distorted.<<<
>
> The audio distortion problem occurs only where both SCO links use 16-bit
> samples. The distortion occurs where the host does not collect all of
> the bytes from the last HCI SCO packet of the first SCO link. The second
> SCO link reuses the first link?s endpoint, and the link?s data
> incorrectly starts with the first link?s few uncollected bytes. >>>This
> can be an odd number of bytes, misaligning all subsequent 16-bit samples
> by one byte.<<<
>
> The same audio distortion misalignment can result from a race hazard
> within the chip, even if the host takes all of the link?s trailing
> bytes when closing the SCO link. In practice, the race hazard is the
> primary cause of this problem arising. The distortion issue is similar
> to issue H13.154, but that issue concerned from-host SCO USB traffic.
>
> (HCI builds? release notes have never claimed support for SCO over USB,
> mainly because of the lack of suitable test equipment, so it is arguable
> whether this issue should be categorised as being of ?high? importance.)
>
> Remedy
> Both problems have been substantially improved in HCI 16.14. This avoids
> the issue that causes the chip to crash. The same defensive code also
> avoids the audio distortion problem.
>
> I think this confirms your observations. The error is a missing byte and
> not an endian-ness switch. Upgrading your firmware should fix the
> problem, otherwise, swallowing a byte when you notice the problem should
> also ressurect the audio quality. Alternatively, you could always switch
> to 8 bit samples.
>
> Release notes are available on the CSR support web site if you have
> suitable access permissions.
>
> - Steven

Just out of interest, how does one upgrade the firmware on a USB device
using a CSR chip ?

I have this device: -

bash-2.05b# hciconfig hci0 version
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:A0:96:1F:42:BF ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x135 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP
Subver: 0x135
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

bash-2.05b# hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:A0:96:1F:42:BF ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8

by Steven Singer

Simon Vogl wrote:
> [...]

(HCI builds? release notes have never claimed support for SCO over USB,
mainly because of the lack of suitable test equipment, so it is arguable
whether this issue should be categorised as being of ?high? importance.)

Remedy
Both problems have been substantially improved in HCI 16.14. This avoids
the issue that causes the chip to crash. The same defensive code also
avoids the audio distortion problem.

I think this confirms your observations. The error is a missing byte and
not an endian-ness switch. Upgrading your firmware should fix the
problem, otherwise, swallowing a byte when you notice the problem should
also ressurect the audio quality. Alternatively, you could always switch
to 8 bit samples.

Release notes are available on the CSR support web site if you have

and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by
prohibited.
delete the material from any computer.