2004-12-24 21:10:46

by Jeff Wilson

Subject: [Bluez-devel] hciconfig question

Hi,

I'm studying hciconfig.c to learn how to set inquiry mode and
parameters. As I play with the binary to understand the source, I get
the following error on "hciconfig hci0 inqmode":

Can't read inquiry mode on hci0. Input/output error(5)

The "inqparms" command reads from hci0 just fine, with no errors. I
have "iscan enable" set in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf ... what else
should I check?

Thanks for your time,
jw

by Jeff Wilson

Subject: Re: [Bluez-devel] hciconfig question

On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 00:38:21 +0100, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> > I'm studying hciconfig.c to learn how to set inquiry mode and
> > parameters. As I play with the binary to understand the source, I get
> > the following error on "hciconfig hci0 inqmode":
> >
> > Can't read inquiry mode on hci0. Input/output error(5)
> >
> > The "inqparms" command reads from hci0 just fine, with no errors. I
> > have "iscan enable" set in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf ... what else
> > should I check?
>
> you need a Bluetooth 1.2 device with inquiry with RSSI support.

What about older devices without RSSI?

thanks,
jw

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jeff,

> I'm studying hciconfig.c to learn how to set inquiry mode and
> parameters. As I play with the binary to understand the source, I get
> the following error on "hciconfig hci0 inqmode":
>
> Can't read inquiry mode on hci0. Input/output error(5)
>
> The "inqparms" command reads from hci0 just fine, with no errors. I
> have "iscan enable" set in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf ... what else
> should I check?

you need a Bluetooth 1.2 device with inquiry with RSSI support.

Regards

Marcel

by Jeff Wilson

Thanks for the tips, Peter and Marcel. If I get something working,
I'll post back to let you know.

Best regards,
jw

by Peter Robinson

> The only 1.2 devices listed at
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html are the Apple G4
> and the Lifetech BlueConnect (but then I saw Carlos say that isn't
> so).
>
> I'm in the market for a couple of 1.2 USB dongles I can use with the
> latest BlueZ kernel. Any suggestions? I found "ANYCOM USB-120 USB
> Adapter" on Froogle. Any comments about Anycom?

>From the thread that appeared the other day on the users list can't
you just buy one of the upgradable BT 1.1 devices like a later
revision of the DLink BT-120 and upgrade it to the 1.2 standard.

Thread here
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=6278463&forum_id=1883

Regards
Peter

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jeff,

> The only 1.2 devices listed at
> http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html are the Apple G4
> and the Lifetech BlueConnect (but then I saw Carlos say that isn't
> so).
>
> I'm in the market for a couple of 1.2 USB dongles I can use with the
> latest BlueZ kernel. Any suggestions? I found "ANYCOM USB-120 USB
> Adapter" on Froogle. Any comments about Anycom?

the Anycom with Bluetooth 1.2 uses a Silicon Wave chip, but this is a
ROM version and the inquiry with RSSI has a bug.