2004-06-05 10:03:23

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth 1.2 and HID Proxy

Hi Folks,

for everyone of you who is searching for a Bluetooth 1.2 capable USB
dongle or a dongle with HID Proxy support, there is now a way to getting
one with a minimum of costs. It is possible through the update efforts
of Apple. Before they equiped their machines with internal Bluetooth
adapters they sold (and I think still sell) a USB dongle from D-Link.
According to Apple every D-Link with hardware revision B2 and higher can
be updated through their firmware updater

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/bluetoothfirmwareupdater.html

So I bought myself a D-Link (Rev B3) and tried it. I used the DFU wizard
from CSR and after some time I got the new firmware on the dongle

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0D:88:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:966 acl:0 sco:0 events:25 errors:0
TX bytes:333 acl:0 sco:0 commands:24 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0x78 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'D-Link DBT-120 (Rev B3)'
Class: 0x1c010c
Service Classes: Rendering, Capturing, Object Transfer
Device Class: Computer, Laptop
HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x4d9 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver: 0x4d9
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

And now this dongle is not only capable of Bluetooth 1.2 it also uses
the HID Proxy feature. The HID mode is the default boot mode and you
need to use hid2hci to switch between the modes.

The bad news are that you must extract the file GenericCSR.dfu from the
Apple firmware update. Actually that is impossible without using Mac OS.
And the other problem is that you need a DFU Upgrade utility. The CSR
one is not for free and I never really finished the download code for
btdfu. Right now I don't know how to get these two thinks worked out.

Regards

Marcel

by Edd Dumbill

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth 1.2 and HID Proxy

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 12:03 +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> The bad news are that you must extract the file GenericCSR.dfu from the
> Apple firmware update. Actually that is impossible without using Mac OS.
> And the other problem is that you need a DFU Upgrade utility. The CSR
> one is not for free and I never really finished the download code for
> btdfu. Right now I don't know how to get these two thinks worked out.

I wonder if those code is a good starting point for DFU download:
http://www.alfalab.ca/arm/arm.html

It looks as though it needs updating for the current libusb API a
little, but might be useful to you.

-- Edd

2004-06-06 15:42:20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michal,

> > currently I am preparing a site with notes about firmware upgrade and
> > DFU. I will also summarize the public statements of the CSR signature
>
> Site is nice, but you should provide screenshoots of steps how to use MacOS to
> extract that firmware. Many people (including me) don't know how to work with
> MacOS :)

I don't either. Can anyone with Mac OS X write some small words how to
extract GenericCSR.dfu from the BluetoothFWUpdate1.1.dmg file?

Btw the best way is to reverse engineer the Apple UDIF disk image format
and provide an open source tool for it.

> > and so on. However don't expect a howto for getting firmware from one
> > device into another. I am not concerned in upgrading of any dongle,
> > because today an USB Bluetooth dongle is so cheap that you can buy
> > yourself a new one if the firmware is too old. I paid 14 EUR for my
> > D-Link dongle at eBay.
>
> This is bad way. We as customers should make a preasure to vendors to allow us
> upgrade our devices for free! I better spend my 14 euros in cinema with my
> girl :) When device allow me to upgrade it's functionality, vendors should
> allow us to do it. And if not, other vendors will support us and then we
> should make preasure to vendors via market to allow us upgrading our devices.
> And those how will block us to do it, we should turn them bankrupt via market.

You can't look at it with this naive view. The problem is much more
complex. I have contacts to many "Bluetooth companies" here in Germany,
but most of their products are build in Japan, Taiwan etc. The European
headquarters are better support and sales centers, because in most cases
they can't influence any decisions. Most companies I talked to are
willing to help, but actually they can't, because they don't have the
resources to do so.

My resources are limited, too. Only asking for firmware upgrade and
other information doesn't help. Start doing something and I mean start
writing code that allows us to work with. We still miss the DFU download
functionality and a PS Tool program for Linux.

> To firmware licencing. I think you can share your extracted firmware, because
> of this:
>
> Re: [Bluez-users] CSR firmware
> From:
> Carl Orsborn <[email protected]>
> To:
> [email protected]
> Date:
> 30.5.2004 09:58
>
> SNIP
> >This is great on Intersil. They allow users to upgrade their firmwares in
> >their wifi cards.
> >
> We also allow it, but we have provided the means to prevent it.
>
> Carl
> SNIP

I don't get that point, but of course you can upload the firmware from
an already updated dongle. Actually I don't think that I am going to
provide such a firmware file. Maybe someone else and then I will link,
but without written permission from Apple I don't think so.

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

On Sunday 06 of June 2004 00:53, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> > pls start new webpage on bluez which will collect all known doglech which
> > we know reflash with newer firmware and pls try describe step-by-step
> > howto.
>
> currently I am preparing a site with notes about firmware upgrade and
> DFU. I will also summarize the public statements of the CSR signature

Site is nice, but you should provide screenshoots of steps how to use MacOS to
extract that firmware. Many people (including me) don't know how to work with
MacOS :)

> and so on. However don't expect a howto for getting firmware from one
> device into another. I am not concerned in upgrading of any dongle,
> because today an USB Bluetooth dongle is so cheap that you can buy
> yourself a new one if the firmware is too old. I paid 14 EUR for my
> D-Link dongle at eBay.

This is bad way. We as customers should make a preasure to vendors to allow us
upgrade our devices for free! I better spend my 14 euros in cinema with my
girl :) When device allow me to upgrade it's functionality, vendors should
allow us to do it. And if not, other vendors will support us and then we
should make preasure to vendors via market to allow us upgrading our devices.
And those how will block us to do it, we should turn them bankrupt via market.

> The problem what I see is that the dongle
> manufacturers are too lazy to get out the Bluetooth 1.2 capable dongles.
> For the CSR based BlueCore02 based dongles they only have to change
> their firmware and can sell it as a complete new product. If they
> started with a 8 Mbit flash from the beginning they don't even have to
> change their design.
>
> The other point is the HID Proxy support. Actually people are asking me
> where they can buy such dongles. I can't tell them, because I don't
> know. And again, every BlueCore02 with 8 Mbit flash can use HID Proxy.
> So where is the problem? I think Apple is doing this the right way. They
> really support their hardware. The question is why D-Link can't provide
> an update for the dongle ;)

To firmware licencing. I think you can share your extracted firmware, because
of this:

Re: [Bluez-users] CSR firmware
>This is great on Intersil. They allow users to upgrade their firmwares in
>their wifi cards.

We also allow it, but we have provided the means to prevent it.

Carl
SNIP

> Regards
>
> Marcel

Michal

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michal,

> pls start new webpage on bluez which will collect all known doglech which we
> know reflash with newer firmware and pls try describe step-by-step howto.

currently I am preparing a site with notes about firmware upgrade and
DFU. I will also summarize the public statements of the CSR signature
and so on. However don't expect a howto for getting firmware from one
device into another. I am not concerned in upgrading of any dongle,
because today an USB Bluetooth dongle is so cheap that you can buy
yourself a new one if the firmware is too old. I paid 14 EUR for my
D-Link dongle at eBay. The problem what I see is that the dongle
manufacturers are too lazy to get out the Bluetooth 1.2 capable dongles.
For the CSR based BlueCore02 based dongles they only have to change
their firmware and can sell it as a complete new product. If they
started with a 8 Mbit flash from the beginning they don't even have to
change their design.

The other point is the HID Proxy support. Actually people are asking me
where they can buy such dongles. I can't tell them, because I don't
know. And again, every BlueCore02 with 8 Mbit flash can use HID Proxy.
So where is the problem? I think Apple is doing this the right way. They
really support their hardware. The question is why D-Link can't provide
an update for the dongle ;)

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

Marcel,

On Saturday 05 of June 2004 12:03, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> for everyone of you who is searching for a Bluetooth 1.2 capable USB
> dongle or a dongle with HID Proxy support, there is now a way to getting
> one with a minimum of costs. It is possible through the update efforts
> of Apple. Before they equiped their machines with internal Bluetooth
> adapters they sold (and I think still sell) a USB dongle from D-Link.
> According to Apple every D-Link with hardware revision B2 and higher can
> be updated through their firmware updater
>
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/bluetoothfirmwareupdater.html
>
> So I bought myself a D-Link (Rev B3) and tried it. I used the DFU wizard
> from CSR and after some time I got the new firmware on the dongle
>
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:0D:88:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> RX bytes:966 acl:0 sco:0 events:25 errors:0
> TX bytes:333 acl:0 sco:0 commands:24 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0x78 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'D-Link DBT-120 (Rev B3)'
> Class: 0x1c010c
> Service Classes: Rendering, Capturing, Object Transfer
> Device Class: Computer, Laptop
> HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x4d9 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver:
> 0x4d9 Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>
> And now this dongle is not only capable of Bluetooth 1.2 it also uses
> the HID Proxy feature. The HID mode is the default boot mode and you
> need to use hid2hci to switch between the modes.
>
> The bad news are that you must extract the file GenericCSR.dfu from the
> Apple firmware update. Actually that is impossible without using Mac OS.
> And the other problem is that you need a DFU Upgrade utility. The CSR
> one is not for free and I never really finished the download code for
> btdfu. Right now I don't know how to get these two thinks worked out.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michal,

> Can you make little photo of this dongle?

look at the Apple of the D-Link website

http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/
http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=34

> > The bad news are that you must extract the file GenericCSR.dfu from the
> > Apple firmware update. Actually that is impossible without using Mac OS.
>
> So pack it and place somewhere on inet :) We'll download it :)

I am not sure if this is possible. I must first check the rights on
these files. Maybe I won't be able to redistribute them. After further
investigation it seems that Linux misses the program "hdiutil". If we
had this it would be possible to convert the *.dmg file into an ISO
image.

hdiutil convert /path/to/filename.dmg -format UDTO -o /path/to/savefile.iso

> > And the other problem is that you need a DFU Upgrade utility. The CSR
> > one is not for free and I never really finished the download code for
> > btdfu. Right now I don't know how to get these two thinks worked out.
>
> Where did you get DFU upgrade utility? Nor google has found it :(

As I said it is not available for free. Ask the CSR sales team. I also
think that I have seen a similar tool for the Widcomm stack. However DFU
is an USB specification and all you need to write one by yourself can be
downloaded at http://www.usb.org.

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML

On Saturday 05 of June 2004 12:03, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> for everyone of you who is searching for a Bluetooth 1.2 capable USB
> dongle or a dongle with HID Proxy support, there is now a way to getting
> one with a minimum of costs. It is possible through the update efforts
> of Apple. Before they equiped their machines with internal Bluetooth
> adapters they sold (and I think still sell) a USB dongle from D-Link.
> According to Apple every D-Link with hardware revision B2 and higher can
> be updated through their firmware updater
>
> http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/bluetoothfirmwareupdater.html

Can you make little photo of this dongle?

> So I bought myself a D-Link (Rev B3) and tried it. I used the DFU wizard
> from CSR and after some time I got the new firmware on the dongle
>
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:0D:88:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
> RX bytes:966 acl:0 sco:0 events:25 errors:0
> TX bytes:333 acl:0 sco:0 commands:24 errors:0
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0x78 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80
> Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
> Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
> Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
> Name: 'D-Link DBT-120 (Rev B3)'
> Class: 0x1c010c
> Service Classes: Rendering, Capturing, Object Transfer
> Device Class: Computer, Laptop
> HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x4d9 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver:
> 0x4d9 Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
>
> And now this dongle is not only capable of Bluetooth 1.2 it also uses
> the HID Proxy feature. The HID mode is the default boot mode and you
> need to use hid2hci to switch between the modes.

no problem

> The bad news are that you must extract the file GenericCSR.dfu from the
> Apple firmware update. Actually that is impossible without using Mac OS.

So pack it and place somewhere on inet :) We'll download it :)

> And the other problem is that you need a DFU Upgrade utility. The CSR
> one is not for free and I never really finished the download code for
> btdfu. Right now I don't know how to get these two thinks worked out.

Where did you get DFU upgrade utility? Nor google has found it :(

> Regards
>
> Marcel

Michal