2004-11-18 08:40:08

by Luis Peiro

Subject: [Bluez-users] Which fedora core?

Hi all,

I've been reading through your posts and I see people working with fedora. I
plan to install a Fedora distribution in order to bring bluetooth to life,
but my doubt is which core: core 3 or core 2. On the one hand I guess that
core 2 is already hardly tested by some of you, and you could help me easier
if I fall in a jam and ask for mercy. On the other, maybe core 3 is more
updated in terms of patches and so on.
So what is your advice for me? -don't have to convince me, just your
intuition would be wellcome.

Greetings

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Bluez-sdp depreciated? Was Which fedora core?

Hi Phil,

> I have got bluez working with the rpms from Fedora core 2 and have gone
> back to trying the later rpms.
>
> I now have the following installed
> bluez-bluefw-1.0-6.i386.rpm
> bluez-pin-0.23-3.i386.rpm
> bluez-hcidump-1.11-1.i386.rpm
> bluez-utils-2.10-2.i386.rpm
> bluez-libs-2.10-2.i386.rpm
> bluez-utils-cups-2.10-2.i386.rpm
>
> and I am back more or less where I started and running dund with the
> command
> dund --listen --msdun --channel 1 10.2.0.1:10.2.0.10
>
> The logs return the error
> localhost dund[3561]: Failed to connect to the local SDP server. No such
> file or directory(2)
>
> In the /usr/lib there are two files
> libbluetooth.so.1
> libbluetooth.so.1.0.10
>
> I have tried symbolic linking them both to various combinations of
> libsdp.so, libsdp.so.1
>
> Dund seems to be searching for sdp, and cannot find it.
>
> Anyone any ideas how I make dund work again?

this sound like you are mixing library version and programs. Check if
the previous packages are fully installed and the old ones are removed.
Maybe they are still there, but in a different location. And check if
sdpd is running.

Regards

Marcel

by Philip Barnes

[...]

Thanks Phil

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Phil,

> > You can fool your installation into thinking libsdp is there by
> > softlinking it to libbluetooth. Hacky but it works.
> >
> > # ln -s /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so /usr/lib/libsdp.so
> >
> Thanks for that idea Steve, I've not managed to get it working with the
> core 3 files as I have other problems with dynamic devices and I am
> trying to solve one problem at a time.

the Fedora Core 3 should at least use bluez-{libs|utils}-2.10 and these
packages are working fine. Even in conjunction with udev.

> At present I have un-installed the bluez files from core 3 and installed
> core 2. I have created rfcomm0 and rfcomm1 in /etc/udev/devices, they
> are then created in /dev at start-up. At this point I can connect my T2
> to the PC.
>
> The problem is now when I disconnect the T2 /dev/rfcomm0 is destroyed so
> I cannot reconnect without recreating it.

This is udev. We remove device nodes that are not needed. Disable udev
or maybe install a SuSE 9.2, Debian Sid etc. where the udev is known to
work if Fedore Core 2/3 can't handle it.

Regards

Marcel

by Philip Barnes

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 10:52 +0000, Stephen Crane wrote:
> You can fool your installation into thinking libsdp is there by
> softlinking it to libbluetooth. Hacky but it works.
>
> # ln -s /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so /usr/lib/libsdp.so

Thanks for that idea Steve, I've not managed to get it working with the
core 3 files as I have other problems with dynamic devices and I am
trying to solve one problem at a time.

At present I have un-installed the bluez files from core 3 and installed
core 2. I have created rfcomm0 and rfcomm1 in /etc/udev/devices, they
are then created in /dev at start-up. At this point I can connect my T2
to the PC.

The problem is now when I disconnect the T2 /dev/rfcomm0 is destroyed so
I cannot reconnect without recreating it.

Phil

by Stephen Crane

Hi Philip, Marcel,

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 22:29 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> > > no it is not, because bluez-sdp and bluez-pan are deprecated.
> > >
> > I have been connecting my Palm T2 to my network using bluez to create a
> > kind of dial-up network via bluetooth using bluez.
> >
> > Below is my configuration script taken from core 2.
> >
> > #
> > # Start configuration of Bluetooth network
> > hciconfig hci0 up
> > hcid
> > modprobe rfcomm
> > dund --listen --msdun --channel 1 10.2.0.1:10.2.0.10
> > echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
> > /sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> > /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
> > /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
> >
> > Bluez-sdp appears to be fundamental to its operation. All is ok until I
> > reach dund, that line returns:-
> > dund: error while loading shared libraries: libsdp.so.2: cannot open
> > shared object file: No such file or directory
> >
> > This is without installing bluez-sdp from core 2, if it is installed I
> > get an sdp error in the system logs at this line.
> >
> > I have looked through the bluez site and searched google but cannot find
> > any explanation of why it has been depreciated, or what has replaced it.
>
> the library part of bluez-sdp is now in bluez-libs and libsdp don't
> exists anymore. And the sdpd is part of the bluez-utils package.

You can fool your installation into thinking libsdp is there by
softlinking it to libbluetooth. Hacky but it works.

# ln -s /usr/lib/libbluetooth.so /usr/lib/libsdp.so

Cheers,
Steve
--
Stephen Crane, Rococo Software Ltd. http://www.rococosoft.com
[email protected] +353-1-6601315 (ext 209)

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2004-11-18 21:29:13

by Marcel Holtmann

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 19:48 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> no it is not, because bluez-sdp and bluez-pan are deprecated.

I have been connecting my Palm T2 to my network using bluez to create a
kind of dial-up network via bluetooth using bluez.

Below is my configuration script taken from core 2.

#
# Start configuration of Bluetooth network
hciconfig hci0 up
hcid
modprobe rfcomm
dund --listen --msdun --channel 1 10.2.0.1:10.2.0.10
echo '1' > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
/sbin/iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -i ppp0 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

Bluez-sdp appears to be fundamental to its operation. All is ok until I
reach dund, that line returns:-
dund: error while loading shared libraries: libsdp.so.2: cannot open

This is without installing bluez-sdp from core 2, if it is installed I
get an sdp error in the system logs at this line.

I have looked through the bluez site and searched google but cannot find
any explanation of why it has been depreciated, or what has replaced it.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks Phil

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Which fedora core?

Hi Philip,

On Thu, 2004-11-18 at 10:11 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I've been reading through your posts and I see people working with fedora. I
> > plan to install a Fedora distribution in order to bring bluetooth to life,
> > but my doubt is which core: core 3 or core 2. On the one hand I guess that
> > core 2 is already hardly tested by some of you, and you could help me easier
> > if I fall in a jam and ask for mercy. On the other, maybe core 3 is more
> > updated in terms of patches and so on.
> > So what is your advice for me? -don't have to convince me, just your
> > intuition would be wellcome.
>
> use the Fedora Core 3. It is already outdated, but it is a way better
> than Core 2.

I would say use core 2, it works....

I upgraded to core 3 last week, and I have not been able to get my palm
pilot to connect since. I think its due to bluez-sdp being missing from
the core 3 distro, but I'm still working on the problem.

HTH Phil

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi,