2005-06-30 15:35:36

by hariharan veerappan

Subject: [Bluez-users] H5 3 wire UART connect problem

Hello all,

We are presently working on Silicon wave Serial Port Bluetooth module
with Linux version 2.4.20.
When we try to attach the UART with HCI layer.

Bluetooth module : Silicon Wave bluetooth module. (H5 3 Wire interface)
Linux Kernel : 2.4.20.

We have done different trial with the module. Below we have given two
of them major, that we have noticed in our experiment.

Experiment 1:
When we connect Bluetooth module with the full functional serial port
(thatr contains Hard ware flow control)
The HCI layer is attached with UART layer.
But when we try to UP the HCI0 it returns
cannot Init Device hci0.

Experiment 2:
When we connect the Bluetooth module with 3 WIRE serial cable (consist
of TXD, RXD and GND)

hciattach /dev/ttyS0 swave 115200 noflow

Actually our plan is to work the bluetooth with 3WIRE (H5) Bluetooth interf=
ace.
Kindly confirm whether the HCI_UART_3WIRE functionality is included in
the linux kernel.

if possible, adivse us a path to fix this issue.
This application returns=20

Initializaion timed out.

Advise to fix it

Thanks and regards
Hariharan.v.

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] H5 3 wire UART connect problem

Hi Hariharan,

> We are presently working on Silicon wave Serial Port Bluetooth module
> with Linux version 2.4.20.
> When we try to attach the UART with HCI layer.
>
> Bluetooth module : Silicon Wave bluetooth module. (H5 3 Wire interface)
> Linux Kernel : 2.4.20.
>
> We have done different trial with the module. Below we have given two
> of them major, that we have noticed in our experiment.
>
> Experiment 1:
> When we connect Bluetooth module with the full functional serial port
> (thatr contains Hard ware flow control)
> The HCI layer is attached with UART layer.
> But when we try to UP the HCI0 it returns
> cannot Init Device hci0.
>
> Experiment 2:
> When we connect the Bluetooth module with 3 WIRE serial cable (consist
> of TXD, RXD and GND)
>
> hciattach /dev/ttyS0 swave 115200 noflow
>
> Actually our plan is to work the bluetooth with 3WIRE (H5) Bluetooth interface.
> Kindly confirm whether the HCI_UART_3WIRE functionality is included in
> the linux kernel.

actually nobody implemented the 3-Wire UART support for BlueZ.

Regards

Marcel

by hariharan veerappan

Hi Marcel,

Actually we are using the Silicon wave Bluetooth device that is
compatible with the
BCSP when it configured for 3 WIRE H5 protocol.
As per our study on 3 WIRE protcol (H5 ) from bluetooth.org
specification. The H5 and BCSP seems to be almost same except the
protocol number and Initialization process.

we handled the Initialization process (SYNC and CONFIG) in hciattach.c.
As per the document, the device is in Uninitialized state. We have to
SYNC and CONFIGURE
in order to make the device into ACTIVE mode.

Please verify it and confirm us whether we are anything wrong,

The H5 3 WIRE UART Transport layer specification document is attached
for your kind
reference.

Thanks and regards
Hariharan.V

On 7/6/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Hariharan,
>
> > Please find her with the source modified for the H:5 3 WIRE UART
> > Silicon wave dongle
> > implementation in Bluez stack.
>
> please send an unified diff for the hciattach changes.
>
> Is this statement "3-Wire UART differs only with the protocol number
> definitions" really true? If yes, it should be very easy to integrate
> the 3-Wire UART support directly into hci_bcsp.c without any unneeded
> overhead.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

(No filename) (1.72 kB)
HCI_Three-Wire_UART_Transport_SP_V095.pdf (81.49 kB)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Hariharan,

> Please find her with the source modified for the H:5 3 WIRE UART
> Silicon wave dongle
> implementation in Bluez stack.

please send an unified diff for the hciattach changes.

Is this statement "3-Wire UART differs only with the protocol number
definitions" really true? If yes, it should be very easy to integrate
the 3-Wire UART support directly into hci_bcsp.c without any unneeded
overhead.

Regards

Marcel

by hariharan veerappan

Dear Marcel,

Thanks for your support.
Please find her with the source modified for the H:5 3 WIRE UART
Silicon wave dongle
implementation in Bluez stack.

Advise us if you find anything wrong

Thanks and regards
Hariharan.V

On 7/5/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Hariharan,
>
> > We have changed the hciattach.c and hci_h5.c (H5 3 WIRE UART Bluetooth driver).
> > The Bluetooth module is up. We could read the Bluetooth device address
> > and scan the
> > bluetooth network.
>
> I think it is time to show us the source code for the 3-Wire UART
> support, before we discuss any other things.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

(No filename) (1.14 kB)
hci_h5.c (18.81 kB)
hciattach.c (33.40 kB)
hci_h5.h (2.16 kB)

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Hariharan,

> We have changed the hciattach.c and hci_h5.c (H5 3 WIRE UART Bluetooth driver).
> The Bluetooth module is up. We could read the Bluetooth device address
> and scan the
> bluetooth network.

I think it is time to show us the source code for the 3-Wire UART
support, before we discuss any other things.

Regards

Marcel

by hariharan veerappan

Hello All / Marcel,

We have changed the hciattach.c and hci_h5.c (H5 3 WIRE UART Bluetooth driv=
er).
The Bluetooth module is up. We could read the Bluetooth device address
and scan the
bluetooth network.

Thanks marcel for your valuable support.

Now we are facing the general problem.
we are trying to run SDPD daemon, it fails.

we could not able to browse the bluetooth network.
This SDPD fail occurs, when we use the USB Dongle also.

We have only changed the hci_h5.c and hciattach with new name of the
dongle (H5 3 WIRE).

Our specification :
Kernel - 2.4.20.

For information:

we run sdpd
then we try to kill sdpd, it returns NO PROCESS is KILLED information.

Advise us.
=20
Thanks and regards
Hariharan.V.

On 7/4/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Hariharan,
>=20
> > Presently we are working in 3 WIRE UART Bluetooth transport protocol
> > implementation.
> > We are in implementation of 3 WIRE UART in hciattach.c.
> >
> > Our Specification:
> > Linux kernel - 2.4.20.
>=20
> this kernel version is a little bit problematic. Do your development
> with the 2.6.12 kernel and then backport it. Otherwise nobody will
> review it and it may become useless.
>=20
> > Module - Solicon wave Serial port Bluetooth Module.
>=20
> I can test it out with a Casira and a BlueCore4.
>=20
> > In the HCI attach, We are following the procedure of given below.
> >
> > Host side -> SYNC Command -> BT Device
> > Host side <- SYNC Response <- BT Device
> > Host Side <- SYNC Command <- BT Device
> > Host Side -> SYNC Response -> BT Device
> > Host side <- Config Command <- BT Device
> > Host side -> Config Response -> BT Device
> >
> > Here after the device does not respond for any of the commands
>=20
> Actually I have no idea why that happens, but I also don't have any
> Silicon Wave development kit at hand.
>=20
> > Please advise us whether our command sequence for the HCI attach of 3 W=
IRE
> > bluetooth device.
>=20
> Check the specification. I have no idea.
>=20
> > Our progress plan in the Implementation of H5 3 WIRE in Bluez.
> > First we attach the module HCI layer with the bluez stack.
> > Second we build the driver to usr 3 WIRE stack.
> > our plan is a proper one or not. Advise.
>=20
> You add the basic configuration stuff to hciattach like it was done for
> BCSP and then you set the TTY line discipline to N_HCI and switch to the
> 3-Wire UART protocol. However this must be implemented in hci_3wire.c
> and linked correctly into the hci_uart.ko driver. The complete protocol
> handling then has to be done inside the kernel.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Hariharan,

> Presently we are working in 3 WIRE UART Bluetooth transport protocol
> implementation.
> We are in implementation of 3 WIRE UART in hciattach.c.
>
> Our Specification:
> Linux kernel - 2.4.20.

this kernel version is a little bit problematic. Do your development
with the 2.6.12 kernel and then backport it. Otherwise nobody will
review it and it may become useless.

> Module - Solicon wave Serial port Bluetooth Module.

I can test it out with a Casira and a BlueCore4.

> In the HCI attach, We are following the procedure of given below.
>
> Host side -> SYNC Command -> BT Device
> Host side <- SYNC Response <- BT Device
> Host Side <- SYNC Command <- BT Device
> Host Side -> SYNC Response -> BT Device
> Host side <- Config Command <- BT Device
> Host side -> Config Response -> BT Device
>
> Here after the device does not respond for any of the commands

Actually I have no idea why that happens, but I also don't have any
Silicon Wave development kit at hand.

> Please advise us whether our command sequence for the HCI attach of 3 WIRE
> bluetooth device.

Check the specification. I have no idea.

> Our progress plan in the Implementation of H5 3 WIRE in Bluez.
> First we attach the module HCI layer with the bluez stack.
> Second we build the driver to usr 3 WIRE stack.
> our plan is a proper one or not. Advise.

You add the basic configuration stuff to hciattach like it was done for
BCSP and then you set the TTY line discipline to N_HCI and switch to the
3-Wire UART protocol. However this must be implemented in hci_3wire.c
and linked correctly into the hci_uart.ko driver. The complete protocol
handling then has to be done inside the kernel.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Hariharan,

> I am still newer to the development of bluetooth drivers.
>
> Can any body suggest, from where can i get H5 - 3 WIRE Transport
> interface protocol
> informations.

check out https://www.bluetooth.org/spec/

Regards

Marcel

by hariharan veerappan

Hello All / Marcel,
=20
Presently we are working in 3 WIRE UART Bluetooth transport protocol
implementation.
We are in implementation of 3 WIRE UART in hciattach.c.
=20
Our Specification:
Linux kernel - 2.4.20.
Module - Solicon wave Serial port Bluetooth Module.
=20
In the HCI attach, We are following the procedure of given below.
=20
Host side -> SYNC Command -> BT Device=20
Host side <- SYNC Response <- BT Device
Host Side <- SYNC Command <- BT Device
Host Side -> SYNC Response -> BT Device
Host side <- Config Command <- BT Device
Host side -> Config Response -> BT Device

Here after the device does not respond for any of the commands

Please advise us whether our command sequence for the HCI attach of 3 WIRE
bluetooth device.

Our progress plan in the Implementation of H5 3 WIRE in Bluez.
First we attach the module HCI layer with the bluez stack.
Second we build the driver to usr 3 WIRE stack.
our plan is a proper one or not. Advise.

Thanks and Regards
Hariharan.V.

=20
> On 7/4/05, hariharan veerappan <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am still newer to the development of bluetooth drivers.
> >
> > Can any body suggest, from where can i get H5 - 3 WIRE Transport
> > interface protocol
> > informations.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Hariharan.V
> >
> > On 7/1/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > Hi Hriharan,

WIRE UART)

> > > look at the hci_h4.c and hci_bcsp.c files for examples. They show you
> > > how to use our HCI UART API. The number of lines of code are very sma=
ll
> > > and it should be easy to understand what the callback functions are f=
or.
> > > The hciattach.c is a little bit more freaky. I need to split it into
> > > more separate files for each transport or vendor.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > >
> > > Marcel

by hariharan veerappan

Hello All / Marcel,

Presently we are working in 3 WIRE UART Bluetooth transport protocol
implementation.
We are in implementation of 3 WIRE UART in hciattach.c.=20

Our Specification:
Linux kernel - 2.4.20.
Module - Solicon wave Serial port Bluetooth Module.

In the HCI attach, We are following the procedure of given below.

Host side=20

Thanks and Regards
Hariharan.V.

On 7/4/05, hariharan veerappan <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>=20
> I am still newer to the development of bluetooth drivers.
>=20
> Can any body suggest, from where can i get H5 - 3 WIRE Transport
> interface protocol
> informations.
>=20
> Thanks and Regards
> Hariharan.V
>=20
> On 7/1/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi Hriharan,
> >
> > > If we wish to study some basic fundamentals of development.
> > > Can any body advise whether any tutorials available for H5 UART (3 WI=
RE UART)
> > > on bluez. Tell me the any website link for better solution for our de=
velopment.

> > look at the hci_h4.c and hci_bcsp.c files for examples. They show you
> > how to use our HCI UART API. The number of lines of code are very small
> > and it should be easy to understand what the callback functions are for=
.
> > The hciattach.c is a little bit more freaky. I need to split it into
> > more separate files for each transport or vendor.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marcel

by hariharan veerappan

Hello all,

I am still newer to the development of bluetooth drivers.

Can any body suggest, from where can i get H5 - 3 WIRE Transport
interface protocol
informations.

Thanks and Regards
Hariharan.V

On 7/1/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Hriharan,
>=20
> > If we wish to study some basic fundamentals of development.
> > Can any body advise whether any tutorials available for H5 UART (3 WIRE=
UART)
> > on bluez. Tell me the any website link for better solution for our deve=
lopment.
>=20
> look at the hci_h4.c and hci_bcsp.c files for examples. They show you
> how to use our HCI UART API. The number of lines of code are very small
> and it should be easy to understand what the callback functions are for.
> The hciattach.c is a little bit more freaky. I need to split it into
> more separate files for each transport or vendor.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Hriharan,

> If we wish to study some basic fundamentals of development.
> Can any body advise whether any tutorials available for H5 UART (3 WIRE UART)
> on bluez. Tell me the any website link for better solution for our development.

look at the hci_h4.c and hci_bcsp.c files for examples. They show you
how to use our HCI UART API. The number of lines of code are very small
and it should be easy to understand what the callback functions are for.
The hciattach.c is a little bit more freaky. I need to split it into
more separate files for each transport or vendor.

Regards

Marcel

by hariharan veerappan

Hello all,

If we wish to study some basic fundamentals of development.
Can any body advise whether any tutorials available for H5 UART (3 WIRE UAR=
T)
on bluez. Tell me the any website link for better solution for our developm=
ent.

Thanks and regards
Hariharan.v

On 7/1/05, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Hariharan,
>=20
> > we wants to develop and implement the 3 WIRE UART support for the
> > Bluez Stack. can any one suggest an idea to develop and implement
> > 3 WIRE UART in BlueZ.
> >
> > May i follow the H4 UART Implementation with Some modifications related=
with
> > H5 (3 WIRE UART). We came to know that Packets has to be added before a=
nd after
> > the HCI commands according to H4 and H5 UART. Is it right ?.
> >
> > We wish to know that whether it takes major development cycle.
> >
> > As per Silicon wave datasheet the 3 WIRE UART is compatible with BCSP.
> > May we have to follow the H4 UART or BCSP one for our development.
>=20
> create a file drivers/bluetooth/hci_3wire.c and start with BCSP as base.
> In general you can do a driver that supports BCSP and 3-Wire at the same
> time, but actually I really like to have two separate drivers. Try to
> start from scratch and don't copy too much things. The second part is
> adding support for 3-Wire to the hciattach program.
>=20
> Regards
>=20
> Marcel
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

by Peter Stephenson

hariharan veerappan wrote:
> As per Silicon wave datasheet the 3 WIRE UART is compatible with BCSP.
> May we have to follow the H4 UART or BCSP one for our development.

Definitely follow the existing BCSP code. You should find you can
adapt it for 3WU with a minimum of difficulty. Some of the constants
are different (British humour doesn't always travel well) but otherwise
the core design is very similar. 3WU has some weird additional options,
but you probably don't need those.

--
Peter Stephenson <[email protected]> Software Engineer
Cambridge, CB4 0WZ, UK Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Hariharan,

> we wants to develop and implement the 3 WIRE UART support for the
> Bluez Stack. can any one suggest an idea to develop and implement
> 3 WIRE UART in BlueZ.
>
> May i follow the H4 UART Implementation with Some modifications related with
> H5 (3 WIRE UART). We came to know that Packets has to be added before and after
> the HCI commands according to H4 and H5 UART. Is it right ?.
>
> We wish to know that whether it takes major development cycle.
>
> As per Silicon wave datasheet the 3 WIRE UART is compatible with BCSP.
> May we have to follow the H4 UART or BCSP one for our development.

create a file drivers/bluetooth/hci_3wire.c and start with BCSP as base.
In general you can do a driver that supports BCSP and 3-Wire at the same
time, but actually I really like to have two separate drivers. Try to
start from scratch and don't copy too much things. The second part is
adding support for 3-Wire to the hciattach program.

Regards

Marcel

by hariharan veerappan

Hello all,

we wants to develop and implement the 3 WIRE UART support for the=20
Bluez Stack. can any one suggest an idea to develop and implement
3 WIRE UART in BlueZ.=20

May i follow the H4 UART Implementation with Some modifications related wit=
h=20
H5 (3 WIRE UART). We came to know that Packets has to be added before and a=
fter
the HCI commands according to H4 and H5 UART. Is it right ?.=20