2004-03-31 10:01:00

by Gary Martin

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Desperate newbie

Thanks again Tom for replying to my questions. I'm a little
hesitent about compiling software because:
1 - I'm a nurse, not a computer programmer --- I wouldn't know
where to start.
2 - I use GNOME, so I imagine there would be a lot of new packages
to incorporate (KDE?)
3 - When it comes to Linux, what is "simple enough" on an x86
desktop might not be simple on a PowerPC laptop
4 - It seems to be a lot of work to find a class code that might
not even be the problem

I have spent too much time on this problem already. I'm beginning
to lose faith in Linux for "users" like me

Cheers

Gary

--- Thomas Chiverton <[email protected]> wrote: >
On Tuesday 30 Mar 2004 11:56 am, you said:
> > appear to be available for Debian PowerPC. I haven't been able
>
> You could always compile it up - it's simple enough.
>
> --
> Tom Chiverton
> Advanced ColdFusion Programmer
>
> Tel: +44(0)1749 834997
> email: [email protected]
> BlueFinger Limited
> Underwood Business Park
> Wookey Hole Road, WELLS. BA5 1AF
> Tel: +44 (0)1749 834900
> Fax: +44 (0)1749 834901
> web: http://www.bluefinger.com
> Company Reg No: 4209395 Registered Office: 2 Temple Back East,
> Temple
> Quay, BRISTOL. BS1 6EG.
> *** This E-mail contains confidential information for the
> addressee
> only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
> immediately. You should not use, disclose, distribute or copy
> this
> communication if received in error. No binding contract will
> result from
> this e-mail until such time as a written document is signed on
> behalf of
> the company. BlueFinger Limited cannot accept responsibility for
> the
> completeness or accuracy of this message as it has been
> transmitted over
> public networks.***

http://au.movies.yahoo.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Andreas,

> Fine, so the only difference (apart from multisync itself) between our
> phones is that "hcitool info <BDA>" does not work for you. The problem there
> seems to arise at HCIGETCONNINFO and then hci_create_connection. Anybody
> with BE hardware care to take a closer look at it? I unfortunately do not
> own any (bluetooth capable).

the "hcitool info" problems should already be fixed with newer libs and
utils versions. Look at the mailing list archives for details.

Regards

Marcel

by Andreas Deresch

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, [iso-8859-1] Gary Martin wrote:

> Thank you for your support Andreas. Problems like this make me
> want to go back to Mac OS X, but there is something about Linux
> that draws me back. It has been a struggle --- I think a lot of
> the problems I have encountered with Linux have been the result of
> trying to run it on a PowerPC chip!!
As Marcel explained, this certainly does result in additional difficulties,
yes.

> Service Name: IrMC Synchronization
> Service RecHandle: 0x10006
> Service Class ID List:
> "IrMCSync" (0x1104)
> Protocol Descriptor List:
> "L2CAP" (0x0100)
> "RFCOMM" (0x0003)
> Channel: 11
> "OBEX" (0x0008)
> Profile Descriptor List:
> "IrMCSync" (0x1104)
> Version: 0x0100
>
> [...]
>
> Yes --- there is an option in Multisync (IRMC-Bluetooth) to
> "search for units", and if found, "test connection" It just hangs
> during the search

Fine, so the only difference (apart from multisync itself) between our
phones is that "hcitool info <BDA>" does not work for you. The problem there
seems to arise at HCIGETCONNINFO and then hci_create_connection. Anybody
with BE hardware care to take a closer look at it? I unfortunately do not
own any (bluetooth capable).

ad

by Thomas Chiverton

On Wednesday 31 Mar 2004 15:41 pm, Gary Martin wrote:
> numerical
> class codes for "computer" and "mobile phone"

:hunts
No, it's not clear is it...

:looks
0x000100 and 0x000200 according to khciconfig.

--
[...]

Hi Gary,

> Thank you for your support Andreas. Problems like this make me
> want to go back to Mac OS X, but there is something about Linux
> that draws me back. It has been a struggle --- I think a lot of
> the problems I have encountered with Linux have been the result of
> trying to run it on a PowerPC chip!!
>
> I started using Linux because my Masters thesis will be on the use
> of OSS in the public health care system --- I thought I should
> practice what I will preach!

most problems on PowerPC are because this is a big endian platform and
i386 is little endian. The kernel side should be clean of any endian
bugs, but there are maybe some code parts that are never got really
intensiv testing on big endian platforms. So I am of course not 100%
sure. On the other side I think that the userspace part still have some
missing byteswap operations, so try to isolate them and I will try to
fix them as soon as possible.

Regards

Marcel

by Thomas Chiverton

On Wednesday 31 Mar 2004 11:01 am, Gary Martin wrote:
> 2 - I use GNOME, so I imagine there would be a lot of new packages
> to incorporate (KDE?)

Your Linux distribution should include a package manager to help you with
this. You mention debian, so apt-get install kde-bluetooth or similar should
work.
GNOME and KDE are two desktop enviroments ('Windows'). I know you can run
GNOME apps in KDE, which is what I do, but I don't know it it works vica
versa.

> 3 - When it comes to Linux, what is "simple enough" on an x86
> desktop might not be simple on a PowerPC laptop

Download.
unzip
./configure
make
make install

The kde-bluetooth mailing list is very helpfull too - though you are right,
you might be the first person to try on PowerPC with GNOME :-) If so, great,
try it and report back - open source relies a lot on people trying things and
saying how it broke.

--
[...]

--- Andreas Deresch <[email protected]> wrote: > On Wed, 31 Mar
2004, [iso-8859-1] Gary Martin wrote:

> > 4 - It seems to be a lot of work to find a class code that
> might
> > not even be the problem
> Correct. What I meant was, that *any* of the three should work.
> BTW, "Mobile
> Phone" is the class value returned by your T628 by hcitool inq
> (0x520204).
These are the different classes I have tried in hcid.conf
# Local device class
# class 0x100;
# class 0x10c;
# class 0x120104;
# class 0x100100;
class 0x520204;

> > I have spent too much time on this problem already. I'm
> beginning
> > to lose faith in Linux for "users" like me
> Don't. It can take some time to get used to, but it's worth it.
> :-)
> Anyhow, I would really be interested in solving your problem (or
> at least
> determining the cause), if you are willing to keep trying a
> little longer:
>
> What is the output of sdptool browse?
There is a lot of output:
debian:~# sdptool browse
Inquiring ...
Browsing 00:0E:07:54:32:0B ...
Service Name: Dial-up Networking
Service RecHandle: 0x10000
Service Class ID List:
"Dialup Networking" (0x1103)
"Generic Networking" (0x1201)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 1
Profile Descriptor List:
"Dialup Networking" (0x1103)
Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Voice gateway
Service RecHandle: 0x10002
Service Class ID List:
"Headset Audio Gateway" (0x1112)
"Generic Audio" (0x1203)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 3
Profile Descriptor List:
"Headset" (0x1108)
Version: 0x0100

Service Name: Serial Port 1
Service RecHandle: 0x10003
Service Class ID List:
"Serial Port" (0x1101)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 4

Service Name: Serial Port 2
Service RecHandle: 0x10004
Service Class ID List:
"Serial Port" (0x1101)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 5

Service Name: OBEX Object Push
Service RecHandle: 0x10005
Service Class ID List:
"OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 10
"OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
"OBEX Object Push" (0x1105)
Version: 0x0100

Service Name: IrMC Synchronization
Service RecHandle: 0x10006
Service Class ID List:
"IrMCSync" (0x1104)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 11
"OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
"IrMCSync" (0x1104)
Version: 0x0100

Service Name: HF Voice gateway
Service RecHandle: 0x10007
Service Class ID List:
"" (0x111f)
"Generic Audio" (0x1203)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 6
Profile Descriptor List:
"" (0x111e)
Version: 0x0100

Service Name: OBEX Basic Imaging
Service RecHandle: 0x1000b
Service Class ID List:
"" (0x111b)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 15
"OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
"" (0x111a)
Version: 0x0100

Service Name: OBEX File Transfer
Service RecHandle: 0x1000f
Service Class ID List:
"OBEX File Transfer" (0x1106)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 7
"OBEX" (0x0008)
Profile Descriptor List:
"OBEX File Transfer" (0x1106)
Version: 0x0100

> What exactly did you mean by "multisync cannot find the phone"?
> You can
> select "IrMC Mobile Device" as plugin, "Bluetooth" as connection
> type, and
> can "search for units", but do not get a response? (Phone was
> discoverable?)
Yes --- there is an option in Multisync (IRMC-Bluetooth) to
"search for units", and if found, "test connection" It just hangs
during the search

> ad

Gary

http://au.movies.yahoo.com

by Andreas Deresch

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, [iso-8859-1] Gary Martin wrote:

> 4 - It seems to be a lot of work to find a class code that might
> not even be the problem
Correct. What I meant was, that *any* of the three should work. BTW, "Mobile
Phone" is the class value returned by your T628 by hcitool inq (0x520204).

> I have spent too much time on this problem already. I'm beginning
> to lose faith in Linux for "users" like me
Don't. It can take some time to get used to, but it's worth it. :-)
Anyhow, I would really be interested in solving your problem (or at least
determining the cause), if you are willing to keep trying a little longer:

What is the output of sdptool browse?
What exactly did you mean by "multisync cannot find the phone"? You can
select "IrMC Mobile Device" as plugin, "Bluetooth" as connection type, and
can "search for units", but do not get a response? (Phone was discoverable?)

ad

by Gary Martin

Thank you to Andreas, Marcel and Tom for your assistance. I
assumed that the problems I am having connecting to my phone were
the result of me misconfiguring something eg. hcid.conf. But
Marcel and Andreas seem to intimate that it may be a problem in
Bluez for PowerPC. I find it hard to believe that there aren't
other Linux PPC users successfully using Bluez to synchronise
their phones.
Bluetooth connectivity is an important function for today's
computer users --- I can't be the only one!

> > Fine, so the only difference (apart from multisync itself)
> between our
> > phones is that "hcitool info <BDA>" does not work for you. The
> problem there
> > seems to arise at HCIGETCONNINFO and then
> hci_create_connection.
Sometimes I have "object push" on the phone, and I can send files
to Linux. Sometimes I can't. This change appears after I have
connected the phone under Mac OS X. Does the Bluetooth adapter
retain information from one operating system to the other? Even
when I delete the device "Mac OS X" on the phone and pair it with
"debian-0", the phone retains services that aren't available in
Linus, and refreshing the services on the phone makes them
disappear

> Marcel wrote
> On the other side I think that the userspace part still have
some
missing byteswap operations, so try to isolate them and I will try

fix them as soon as possible.
Am I to isolate missing byteswap operations? I'm afraid I don't
know how to do this?

Regards,

Gary Martin

http://au.movies.yahoo.com

2004-03-31 14:41:44

by Gary Martin

Thanks Tom. But this whole exercise was to find the numerical
class codes for "computer" and "mobile phone"

--- Thomas Chiverton <[email protected]> wrote: >
On Wednesday 31 Mar 2004 11:01 am, Gary Martin wrote:
> > 2 - I use GNOME, so I imagine there would be a lot of new
> packages
> > to incorporate (KDE?)
>
> Your Linux distribution should include a package manager to help
> you with
> this. You mention debian, so apt-get install kde-bluetooth or
> similar should
> work.
I use Synaptic, which is a GUI for apt-get, but kde-bluetooth is
not in the powerpc repository. So I would have to build from
source.

> GNOME and KDE are two desktop enviroments ('Windows'). I know
> you can run
> GNOME apps in KDE, which is what I do, but I don't know it it
> works vica
> versa.
Yes, I run Kile under GNOME and it works fine.

> > 3 - When it comes to Linux, what is "simple enough" on an x86
> > desktop might not be simple on a PowerPC laptop
>
> Download.
> unzip
> ./configure
> make
> make install
I have looked into compiling packages in the past, and I
understand the basic configure make install instructions. But I
got lost (or lost interest) when they mention "flags" Until now, I
have never needed or wanted a package that wasn't in the Debian
PowerPC binary repository

> The kde-bluetooth mailing list is very helpfull too - though you
> are right,
> you might be the first person to try on PowerPC with GNOME :-)
> If so, great,
> try it and report back - open source relies a lot on people
> trying things and
> saying how it broke.

Alright! I will give it a go --- will have to wait until Saturday
though

> --
> Tom Chiverton
> Advanced ColdFusion Programmer
>
> Tel: +44(0)1749 834997
> email: [email protected]
> BlueFinger Limited
> Underwood Business Park
> Wookey Hole Road, WELLS. BA5 1AF
> Tel: +44 (0)1749 834900
> Fax: +44 (0)1749 834901
> web: http://www.bluefinger.com
> Company Reg No: 4209395 Registered Office: 2 Temple Back East,
> Temple
> Quay, BRISTOL. BS1 6EG.
> *** This E-mail contains confidential information for the
> addressee
> only. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us
> immediately. You should not use, disclose, distribute or copy
> this
> communication if received in error. No binding contract will
> result from
> this e-mail until such time as a written document is signed on
> behalf of
> the company. BlueFinger Limited cannot accept responsibility for
> the
> completeness or accuracy of this message as it has been
> transmitted over
> public networks.***

Gary

http://au.movies.yahoo.com