2004-04-10 01:10:27

by Jean-Pierre Lord

Subject: [Bluez-users] Connection dropped or cannot connect

My Linux box has a Anycom usb-220 bluetooth adapter connected to it which is used to serve my iPAQ1940. Works "superbly great" except those times it won't work at all ;-). Either a long connection (like a download) will be cut or i will not be able to open a new connection. When it happens, i have 2 choices: unplung the bluetooth adapter for a few seconds (which requires no other intervention on the software side) and replug it or reset the device using hciconfig. Except that doing this reset will sometimes crash the hole Linux box. I then get a stack dump and once i got a message that looked like this: "...killing interrupt handler...". Sorry i wasn't fast enough to write down the message.

I'm running "Kernel 2.4.24-mh2 on an i586" with bluez-libs-2.5, bluez-sdp-1.5, bluez-utils-2.5. I normally run hcid, sdpd, "dund --listen --msdun call dun". It seems to me that enabling authentification and encryption has made the whole thing less reliable.

What can i do to improve reliability?

Thank you

An lsmod shows the following:
Module Size Used by
bnep 8912 0 (autoclean)
ppdev 6960 0 (autoclean)
ppp_deflate 3120 0 (autoclean)
zlib_inflate 19648 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
zlib_deflate 18688 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
bsd_comp 4416 0 (autoclean)
ppp_async 6544 0 (autoclean)
ppp_generic 16960 0 (autoclean) [ppp_deflate bsd_comp ppp_async]
slhc 4736 0 (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
crc32 2848 0 [bnep]
sco 7936 0 (unused)
hci_usb 6336 1
usb-ohci 16816 0 (unused)
rfcomm 29040 1 (autoclean)
l2cap 15632 2 (autoclean) [bnep rfcomm]
bluez 28224 3 (autoclean) [bnep sco hci_usb rfcomm l2cap]
ipt_MASQUERADE 1344 1 (autoclean)
ipt_state 576 2 (autoclean)
ip_nat_ftp 2912 0 (unused)
iptable_nat 16592 2 [ipt_MASQUERADE ip_nat_ftp]
ip_conntrack_ftp 3760 1
ip_conntrack 18752 3 [ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_state ip_nat_ftp iptable_nat ip_conntrack_ftp]
iptable_filter 1680 1
ip_tables 12000 6 [ipt_MASQUERADE ipt_state iptable_nat iptable_filter]
3c509 8304 2
rtc 6112 0 (autoclean)

2004-04-11 19:54:20

by Richard C. Cox

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Connection dropped or cannot connect (Solved!!!!!!)

On Sunday 11 April 2004 12:37 pm, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> > Seems I spoke too soon 8^( As soon as I sent this, it disconnected
> > again. I should have waited a bit longer to post I suppose.
> > Nevertheless, for some reason, it went much longer without this error
> > this time....I'll keep trying.
>
> I really think that this an USB problem. You should test the 2.4.26-rc2
> or switch to the latest 2.6.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

Ok, I've gotten up the nerve to give 2.6.5 a shot! I've been wanting to try
that kernel out anyway, so this is as good a reason as any 8^) I'll let you
guys know what happens...Wish me good luck!

Regards,

Richard

by Marcel Holtmann

On Sunday 11 April 2004 11:38 am, Richard Cox wrote:
> On Saturday 10 April 2004 05:25 pm, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi Richard,
> >
> > > " Do this adapter have the same problem? Is it CSR based?"
> > >
> > > Yes, according to the bluez hardware compatibilty list
> > > (http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html) it says:
> > >
> > > Belkin F8T003 USB Adapter CSR 1.1 hci_usb working Nayib
> > > Kiuhan
> >
> > you are kidding ;) I actually know what's in my own list, but I wanna be
> > sure that the entry is correct. So check with "hciconfig -a".
> >
> > And "yes" means that the adapter is CSR based or that it have the same
> > problem.
> >
> > > I'll certainly try defining that macro you listed above and see what
> > > happens.
> >
> > Or you can remove these four lines:
> >
> > #ifndef CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB_ZERO_PACKET
> > #undef URB_ZERO_PACKET
> > #define URB_ZERO_PACKET 0
> > #endif
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Marcel

> Marcel,
>
> First, let me thank you for your patience with my questions! Now, for the
> readers of this list, I'll let you know the secret to fixing this problem,
> at least for my setup:
>
> I downloaded the kernel patch from your website (patch-2.4.25-mh3.gz),
> saved by .config, did a 'make mrproper', restored the .config, rebuilt the
> kernel, rebooted and... and that fixed my problems. I run a Gentoo system
> with a 'vanilla' 2.4.25 kernel, so the patch for the toplevel Makefile
> failed, but that didn't matter since it only affected the 'EXTRAVERSION'
> macro, which the vanilla kernel does not set.
>
> Since I applied that patch and rebuilt the kernel, I've been surfing the
> web, listening to streaming media on my iPaq, etc for the past hour without
> a single disconnect! Outstanding! Before I patched, I couldn't do
> anything like this for more than 5 minutes before I would get the error
> that required removal of the usb dongle. Anyone experiencing this
> particular problem should try that patch out before giving up.
>
> Best Wishes
>
> Richard

*Sigh*

> [...]

removal of the usb dongle. Anyone experiencing this particular problem
should try that patch out before giving up.

Best Wishes

Richard

by Richard C. Cox

On Saturday 10 April 2004 05:25 pm, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> > " Do this adapter have the same problem? Is it CSR based?"
> >
> > Yes, according to the bluez hardware compatibilty list
> > (http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html) it says:
> >
> > Belkin F8T003 USB Adapter CSR 1.1 hci_usb working Nayib Kiuhan
>
> you are kidding ;) I actually know what's in my own list, but I wanna be
> sure that the entry is correct. So check with "hciconfig -a".
>
> And "yes" means that the adapter is CSR based or that it have the same
> problem.
>
> > I'll certainly try defining that macro you listed above and see what

Heh heh 8^) Sorry, I'm new to the list and I didn't realize Marcel Holtmann
== holtmann.org. Tried that macro, and no luck. BTW, hciconfig -a returns
this:

hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0A:3A:51:61:E8 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:32752 acl:250 sco:0 events:339 errors:0
TX bytes:79048 acl:472 sco:0 commands:16 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0b 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: ACCEPT MASTER
Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
Class: 0x000100
Service Classes: Unspecified
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x20d LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x20d
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

So it does look like a CSR adapter.

Thanks again

Regards,

Richard

2004-04-10 21:25:56

On Saturday 10 April 2004 05:09 pm, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Richard,
>
> > Good news and bad news,
> > Good news is that i've got my iPAQ pan connection working very well, but
> > am having a very similar problem to the once described here. Here's what
> > happens in the log:
> >
> > Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
> > Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL
> > connection B6:CB:5A:16:05:00
> > Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: pan0: port 1(bnep0) entering disabled
> > state Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: pan0: port 1(bnep0) entering
> > disabled state Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: device bnep0 left
> > promiscuous mode
> >
> > After that happens, the only thing that will fix it is to unplug and
> > re-insert the USB dongle. hciconfig just returns this when I try a
> > reset:
> >
> > [furrball:~]# hciconfig hci0 reset
> > Can't init device hci0. Connection timed out(110)
> >
> > I read this response and turned off encrypt and authentication in
> > hci.conf, but it has made no noticable difference. This always happens
> > after a little over 1 or 2 Mb of data xfer.
>
> this sound to me like the Transilica chip in the USB-220 is buggy and
> that it has a problem when sending frames with multiple size of bulk max
> packet. You can try to add "#define CONFIG_BT_HCIUSB_ZERO_PACKET" at the
> top of hci_usb.c and try again.
>
> > PS: I'm using the latest bluez download from the download section, i'm
> > running a vanilla 2.4.25 kernel on gentoo linux. I've got a Belkin
> > F8T003 USB adapter too.
>
> Do this adapter have the same problem? Is it CSR based?
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

" Do this adapter have the same problem? Is it CSR based?"

Yes, according to the bluez hardware compatibilty list
(http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/devices.html) it says:

Belkin F8T003 USB Adapter CSR 1.1 hci_usb working Nayib Kiuhan

I'll certainly try defining that macro you listed above and see what happens.

Thanks Marcel.

Regards,

Richard

2004-04-10 21:09:12

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Richard,

On Friday 09 April 2004 09:10 pm, Jean-Pierre Lord wrote:
> [...]

happens in the log:

Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 ACL tx timeout
Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: hci_acl_tx_to: hci0 killing stalled ACL
connection B6:CB:5A:16:05:00
Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: pan0: port 1(bnep0) entering disabled state
Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: pan0: port 1(bnep0) entering disabled state
Apr 10 16:31:45 furrball kernel: device bnep0 left promiscuous mode

After that happens, the only thing that will fix it is to unplug and re-insert
the USB dongle. hciconfig just returns this when I try a reset:

[furrball:~]# hciconfig hci0 reset
Can't init device hci0. Connection timed out(110)

I read this response and turned off encrypt and authentication in hci.conf,
but it has made no noticable difference. This always happens after a little

Any ideas on what we might try next. If you need any more info, I'll be happy
to provide it.

PS: I'm using the latest bluez download from the download section, i'm
running a vanilla 2.4.25 kernel on gentoo linux. I've got a Belkin F8T003
USB adapter too.

Regards,

Richard

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Jean-Pierre,

> My Linux box has a Anycom usb-220 bluetooth adapter connected to it
> which is used to serve my iPAQ1940. Works "superbly great" except
> those times it won't work at all ;-). Either a long connection (like
> a download) will be cut or i will not be able to open a new
> connection. When it happens, i have 2 choices: unplung the bluetooth
> adapter for a few seconds (which requires no other intervention on the
> software side) and replug it or reset the device using hciconfig.
> Except that doing this reset will sometimes crash the hole Linux box.
> I then get a stack dump and once i got a message that looked like
> this: "...killing interrupt handler...". Sorry i wasn't fast enough
> to write down the message.

this message is important and you should try to get it over a serial
console. Please try a 2.4.25-mh3 or a 2.4.26-rc2. Maybe there is already
a fix for it.

> I'm running "Kernel 2.4.24-mh2 on an i586" with bluez-libs-2.5,
> bluez-sdp-1.5, bluez-utils-2.5. I normally run hcid, sdpd, "dund
> --listen --msdun call dun". It seems to me that enabling
> authentification and encryption has made the whole thing less
> reliable.

Setting auth and encrypt switches to security mode 3 which is not what
your really want.

Regards

Marcel