2004-09-30 16:16:52

by Sjoerd Simons

Subject: [Bluez-users] Sending files from phone to ppc machine fails

Hi,

Since some time i've got an Ericsson T630. Sending files via obex from both
my ppc and x86 machine to the phone works fine. But from the phone i can only
send stuff to the x86. When sending to my powerbook the phone almost
immediatly indicates ``connection failed''.

Both machines have the exact same hcid.conf and are running debian unstable.
Both run kernel 2.6.8, trying 2.6.8-mh2 on the ppc didn't make a difference
(although my bluetooth mouse started to work a lot better, very nice).

hcidump -x shows the following when trying to send from the phone to the ppc:
> HCI Event: Connect Request (0x04) plen 10
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 04 02 52 01
< HCI Command: Accept Connection Request (0x01|0x0009) plen 7
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 00
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
00 01 09 04
> HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
1A 2C 00 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01 00

Then the phone shows ``connetion failed'' and that's all there is :(

Doing the same on the x86 box starts with:
> HCI Event: Connect Request (0x04) plen 10
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 04 02 52 01
< HCI Command: Accept Connection Request (0x01|0x0009) plen 7
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
00 01 09 04
> HCI Event: Link Key Request (0x17) plen 6
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00
< HCI Command: Link Key Request Reply (0x01|0x000b) plen 22
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 0E 42 18 96 9C 4D 11 8A 5D 73 1B 58 3F 07
4C BF
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
01 0B 04 00 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00
> HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
00 29 00 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01 01

Any ideas what could be going wrong here ?

Sjoerd
--
Why don't you fix your little problem... and light this candle?
-- Alan Shepherd, the first man into space, Gemini program

by Sjoerd Simons

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 06:52:53PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Sjoerd,
>
> > Since some time i've got an Ericsson T630. Sending files via obex from
> > both my ppc and x86 machine to the phone works fine. But from the phone i
> > can only send stuff to the x86. When sending to my powerbook the phone
> > almost immediatly indicates ``connection failed''.
> > [...]
> >
> > Any ideas what could be going wrong here ?
>
> stop hidd and see if it works then.

That does indeed solve it (should have though about trying that). Could you
explain what's going wrong with hidd (yes i'm curious) ?

Thanks,
Sjoerd
--
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.
-- R. A. Heinlein

2004-09-30 16:52:53

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Sjoerd,

> Since some time i've got an Ericsson T630. Sending files via obex from both
> my ppc and x86 machine to the phone works fine. But from the phone i can only
> send stuff to the x86. When sending to my powerbook the phone almost
> immediatly indicates ``connection failed''.
>
> Both machines have the exact same hcid.conf and are running debian unstable.
> Both run kernel 2.6.8, trying 2.6.8-mh2 on the ppc didn't make a difference
> (although my bluetooth mouse started to work a lot better, very nice).
>
> hcidump -x shows the following when trying to send from the phone to the ppc:
> > HCI Event: Connect Request (0x04) plen 10
> 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 04 02 52 01
> < HCI Command: Accept Connection Request (0x01|0x0009) plen 7
> 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 00
> > HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
> 00 01 09 04
> > HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
> 1A 2C 00 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01 00
>
> Then the phone shows ``connetion failed'' and that's all there is :(
>
> Doing the same on the x86 box starts with:
> > HCI Event: Connect Request (0x04) plen 10
> 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 04 02 52 01
> < HCI Command: Accept Connection Request (0x01|0x0009) plen 7
> 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01
> > HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
> 00 01 09 04
> > HCI Event: Link Key Request (0x17) plen 6
> 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00
> < HCI Command: Link Key Request Reply (0x01|0x000b) plen 22
> 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 0E 42 18 96 9C 4D 11 8A 5D 73 1B 58 3F 07
> 4C BF
> > HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
> 01 0B 04 00 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00
> > HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
> 00 29 00 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01 01
>

> Any ideas what could be going wrong here ?

stop hidd and see if it works then.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Sjoerd,

> > I already tracked this problem. The T610 has an old Bluetooth chip that
> > can't do a role switch and this is forced when you run hidd. The CVS
> > already contains a fixed hidd that can deal with it.
>
> Is this only a problem when running hidd or can i also expect it when using
> other bluetooth apps (pand ?).

it is a problem whenever you run an application that forces an role
switch. For example using pand with --master option.

> I've tested the cvs hidd version on my x86, but to no avail. When starting
> hidd --server --master sending files from the phone start failing :(.

Leave the --master option out. CSR based HID input devices will trigger
the role switch by themself. Only the Broadcom stuff (Apple) have a
problem there.

> Do i need the -mh2 patches for this ?

No.

> For the record hcitool info on my phone says:
> Requesting information ...
> BD Address: 00:0F:DE:1D:3F:75
> Device Name: Winter
> LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x503
> Manufacturer: Ericsson Technology Licensing (0)
> Features: 0x04 0xca 0x31 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> <encryption> <RSSI> <SCO link> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD>

The missing <role switch> is here important.

Regards

Marcel

by Sjoerd Simons

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 09:18:20AM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > I've tested the cvs hidd version on my x86, but to no avail. When starting
> > hidd --server --master sending files from the phone start failing :(.
>
> Leave the --master option out. CSR based HID input devices will trigger
> the role switch by themself. Only the Broadcom stuff (Apple) have a
> problem there.

Ah i misunderstood. I though that it should be forced to run as master to not
roleswitch :) Need to learn somewhat more about bluetooth it seems.

Without master it works perfectly on my x86 box. On my powerbook it still
sometimes fails. I will see if i can track down the difference between a
succeeded connection and a failed one..

Thanks for all the great work on bluez ;)
Sjoerd
--
"If value corrupts then absolute value corrupts absolutely."

2004-10-01 18:11:43

by Sjoerd Simons

On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 04:35:59PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Sjoerd,

> > > stop hidd and see if it works then.
> >
> > That does indeed solve it (should have though about trying that). Could you
> > explain what's going wrong with hidd (yes i'm curious) ?
>
> I already tracked this problem. The T610 has an old Bluetooth chip that
> can't do a role switch and this is forced when you run hidd. The CVS
> already contains a fixed hidd that can deal with it.

Is this only a problem when running hidd or can i also expect it when using
other bluetooth apps (pand ?).

I've tested the cvs hidd version on my x86, but to no avail. When starting
hidd --server --master sending files from the phone start failing :(.

Do i need the -mh2 patches for this ?

For the record hcitool info on my phone says:
Requesting information ...
BD Address: 00:0F:DE:1D:3F:75
Device Name: Winter
LMP Version: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subversion: 0x503
Manufacturer: Ericsson Technology Licensing (0)
Features: 0x04 0xca 0x31 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
<encryption> <RSSI> <SCO link> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD>

Sjoerd
--
I use technology in order to hate it more properly.
-- Nam June Paik

2004-10-01 14:43:35

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Sjoerd,

> > > stop hidd and see if it works then.
> >
> > That does indeed solve it (should have though about trying that).
>
> Seems i was a little too fast. Now it works ``sometimes'', but most of the
> times it takes three or four tries to send a file over. Incidentally i'm
> working on another x86 machine today and that also works fine ?

maybe there is another big endian bug somewhere, but I don't think so.

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Sjoerd,

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 07:06:02PM +0200, Sjoerd Simons wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 06:52:53PM +0200, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > Hi Sjoerd,
> >
> > > Since some time i've got an Ericsson T630. Sending files via obex from
> > > both my ppc and x86 machine to the phone works fine. But from the phone
> > > i can only send stuff to the x86. When sending to my powerbook the
> > > phone almost immediatly indicates ``connection failed''. [...]
> > >
> > > Any ideas what could be going wrong here ?
> >
> > stop hidd and see if it works then.
>
> That does indeed solve it (should have though about trying that).

Seems i was a little too fast. Now it works ``sometimes'', but most of the
times it takes three or four tries to send a file over. Incidentally i'm
working on another x86 machine today and that also works fine ?

The moment it goes wrong is a little different though. I get this when
it fails the first time:

HCIDump - HCI packet analyzer ver 1.10
device: hci0 snap_len: 1028 filter: 0xffffffff
> HCI Event: Connect Request (0x04) plen 10
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 04 02 52 01
< HCI Command: Accept Connection Request (0x01|0x0009) plen 7
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
00 01 09 04
> HCI Event: Link Key Request (0x17) plen 6
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00
< HCI Command: Link Key Request Reply (0x01|0x000b) plen 22
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 F4 D8 1D 5D 52 C4 28 CB 63 65 02 03 CD BC
00 C3
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 10
01 0B 04 00 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00
> HCI Event: Connect Complete (0x03) plen 11
00 29 00 75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01 01
< HCI Command: Write Link Policy Settings (0x02|0x000d) plen 4
29 00 0F 00
> HCI Event: Page Scan Repetition Mode Change (0x20) plen 7
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01
> HCI Event: Command Complete (0x0e) plen 6
01 0D 08 00 29 00
< HCI Command: Change Connection Packet Type (0x01|0x000f) plen 4
29 00 18 CC
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
00 01 0F 04
< HCI Command: Remote Name Request (0x01|0x0019) plen 10
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01 00 00 00
> HCI Event: Connection Packet Type Changed (0x1d) plen 5
00 29 00 18 00
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
00 01 19 04
< HCI Command: Remote Name Request (0x01|0x0019) plen 10
75 3F 1D DE 0F 00 01 00 00 00
> HCI Event: Command Status (0x0f) plen 4
00 00 19 04

Sjoerd
--
Nothing is as simple as it seems at first
Or as hopeless as it seems in the middle