2004-11-26 10:52:29

by Pavel Ruzicka

Subject: [Bluez-users] DBT-120 firmware upgrade

Hello,

I want to upgrade DBT-120 Ver B3 (details below).
I read instructions on http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/dfu.html
I have downloaded BluetoothFWUpdate1.2.dmg.
On web is version 1.1, but when I try to download it, then version 1.2
is saved on to disk.

There are 3 dfu files:
md5sum and name:
--------------------------------
f1cb8ce8d3222af2bb6b512f99be62c7 DeskTop.dfu
00acbb467c76a1bca899f888fc23a779 GenericCSR.dfu
f16c41fa42e04d77a9df6ae8c2d40c82 Portable.dfu

Is this right GenericCSR.dfu for DBT-120 B3?
I mean correct md5sum.

I know, that flashing with btdfu is without warranty, but do you think that it
will works?

Best regards,

Pavoel Ruzicka

Dongle details:
---------------------
# hciconfig hci0 version
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0D:88:XX:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x1bb LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x1bb
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
# hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0D:88:8E:B9:F0 ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI 15.3
Chip version: BlueCore02
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

by CIJOML

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] DBT-120 firmware upgrade

It's build in my mouse sold on Czech market
Genius Bluetooth Traveler

Michal

Dne po 29. listopadu 2004 19:15 Peter Stephenson napsal(a):
> Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> > # hciconfig hci0 revision
> > hci0: Type: USB
> > BD Address: 00:C0:DF:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> > Build 1354
> > Chip version: BlueCore02
> > Max key size: 56 bit
> > SCO mapping: HCI
> >
> > I assume that this is also a HCI 18.2, right?
>
> That's not a production build and I can't find any record of it being
> sent to anyone. Very, very interesting. It should be functionally
> similar to 18.2
>
> pws

> the system manager.

> http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Peter Stephenson

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> but it is an official build, right? This is the HID proxy dongle sold
> with the Genius Bluetooth mouse. The mouse has build id 0x417. The USB
> descriptors states this as "KYE Systems Corp. (Mouse Systems)" and they
> use the VID/PID 0458:1000 and 0458:003f.

Yes, it would have been built for customer testing (unless the build ID
is somehow incorrect).

> Do you have the build information for my web page?

We've got this:

1354 bc02x_8unified_fl_bt1.2_nj-unified-dev1_encr56 2004-05-04

--
Peter Stephenson <[email protected]> Software Engineer
Cambridge, CB4 0WZ, UK Tel: +44 (0)1223 692070

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Peter,

> > # hciconfig hci0 revision
> > hci0: Type: USB
> > BD Address: 00:C0:DF:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> > Build 1354
> > Chip version: BlueCore02
> > Max key size: 56 bit
> > SCO mapping: HCI
> >
> > I assume that this is also a HCI 18.2, right?
>
> That's not a production build and I can't find any record of it being
> sent to anyone. Very, very interesting. It should be functionally
> similar to 18.2

but it is an official build, right? This is the HID proxy dongle sold
with the Genius Bluetooth mouse. The mouse has build id 0x417. The USB
descriptors states this as "KYE Systems Corp. (Mouse Systems)" and they
use the VID/PID 0458:1000 and 0458:003f.

Do you have the build information for my web page?

Regards

Marcel

by Peter Stephenson

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> # hciconfig hci0 revision
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:C0:DF:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> Build 1354
> Chip version: BlueCore02
> Max key size: 56 bit
> SCO mapping: HCI
>
> I assume that this is also a HCI 18.2, right?

That's not a production build and I can't find any record of it being
sent to anyone. Very, very interesting. It should be functionally
similar to 18.2

pws

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Steven,

> > do you have the full build information for my web page?
>
> Oops, I should have enclosed that:
>
> 0x632 1586 bc02x_8unified_fl_bt1.2_18_0408131143_encr128 2004-08-13

thanks for this one, but actually I have another one:

# hciconfig hci0 revision
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:C0:DF:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
Build 1354
Chip version: BlueCore02
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

I assume that this is also a HCI 18.2, right?

Regards

Marcel

by Steven Singer

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> do you have the full build information for my web page?

Oops, I should have enclosed that:

0x632 1586 bc02x_8unified_fl_bt1.2_18_0408131143_encr128 2004-08-13

- Steven

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Steven,

Marcel Holtmann wrote:
>> Build 1586
>> Chip version: BlueCore02
>
> I assume this is HCI 18.2 firmware, but I am not quite sure. It is not
> in my list.

Yep. It's 18.2.

- Steven

the system manager.

http://www.mimesweeper.com

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pavel,

> thanks for perfect explaining.

you are welcome.

> I have good news. I flashed my dongle, and she is not dead ;-)
>
> Dongle now starts in HID mode. I must switch her to HCI with hid2hci.
> hid2hci says something, that it fails, but it works. I have probably old
> version of this utility.

This is a general problem with using libusb. The URB isn't finished, but
the device already resets. So an error occurs, but this error can be
ignored.

> Dongle in HID mode lights with power LED, but in HCI is power LED off.
> Second LED blinks in both modes.

I know the LED stuff is weird.

> # hciconfig hci0 revision
> hci0: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:0D:88:XX:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> Build 1586
> Chip version: BlueCore02
> Max key size: 128 bit
> SCO mapping: HCI

I assume this is HCI 18.2 firmware, but I am not quite sure. It is not
in my list.

Regards

Marcel

by Pavel Ruzicka

Hello,

thanks for perfect explaining.

I have good news. I flashed my dongle, and she is not dead ;-)

Dongle now starts in HID mode. I must switch her to HCI with hid2hci.
hid2hci says something, that it fails, but it works. I have probably old
version of this utility.
Dongle in HID mode lights with power LED, but in HCI is power LED off.
Second LED blinks in both modes.

There are informations from hciconfig:
---------------------------------
# hciconfig hci0 version
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0D:88:XX:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
HCI Ver: 1.2 (0x2) HCI Rev: 0x632 LMP Ver: 1.2 (0x2) LMP Subver: 0x632
[root@home network-scripts]# hciconfig hci0 features
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0D:88:XX:XX:XX ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0x78 0x18 0x18 0x00 0x80
<3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
<park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2 packets>
<HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <paging scheme>
<power control> <transparent SCO> <broadcast encrypt>
<inquiry with RSSI> <AFH cap. slave> <AFH class. slave>
<AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master> <extended features>
-------------------------------

Thank you very much one more time for everything ;-)

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka

> > Can somebody explain me, what does it means and if it is not problem
> > for flashing?
>
> but if you upload a firmware you will get the latest type and this is 2.
>
> > Downloaded firmware is much longer than backuped. Is it OK?
>
> The GenericCSR.dfu contains two firmware files. One HCI 18.x for chips
> with 8 Mbit flash and a HCI 16.x for chips with 4 Mbit flash.
>
> Marcel

2004-11-27 18:22:11

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pavel,

> when I compare original backuped firmware with downloaded, that
> there are few differences:
> --------------
> Filename backup.dfu
> bcdDevice 443
> Firmware type CSR-dfu2
> --------------
> Filename GenericCSR.dfu
> bcdDevice ffff
> Firmware type CSR-dfu1
> --------------
>
> Can somebody explain me, what does it means and if it is not problem
> for flashing?

the filename difference should be clear, I think. The bcdDevice is the
build id. Uploaded files are filled with the current build id of the
running firmware. The generic firmware files don't contains a build id,
because they are not build to replace a specific one. CSR has two types
of firmware files and you can use type 1 and 2 to download a new one,
but if you upload a firmware you will get the latest type and this is 2.

> Downloaded firmware is much longer than backuped. Is it OK?

The GenericCSR.dfu contains two firmware files. One HCI 18.x for chips
with 8 Mbit flash and a HCI 16.x for chips with 4 Mbit flash.

Regards

Marcel

by Pavel Ruzicka

> > kdes koupil tuhle dongle? Ji nemuzu nikde sehnat - teda tuhle revizi :(
>
> maybe this is the wrong language ;)

Yes it means something like this:
"Where you buy this dongle? I can't find it anywhere - this revision :("

My colleague buys this dongle before few months at this shop:
http://www.dlinknet.cz/

Best regards,

Pavel Ruzicka

by Pavel Ruzicka

Hello,

when I compare original backuped firmware with downloaded, that
there are few differences:
--------------
Filename backup.dfu
bcdDevice 443
Firmware type CSR-dfu2
--------------
Filename GenericCSR.dfu
bcdDevice ffff
Firmware type CSR-dfu1
--------------

Can somebody explain me, what does it means and if it is not problem
for flashing?

Downloaded firmware is much longer than backuped. Is it OK?

Thanks,

Pavel Ruzicka

PS. Here is complete btdfu verify output:
[root@home bt]# btdfu verify backup.dfu
Filename backup.dfu
Filesize 347078
Checksum be0ea993

DFU suffix 43 04 01 00 12 0a 00 01 55 46 44 10 93 a9 0e be

idVendor 0a12
idProduct 0001
bcdDevice 443

bcdDFU 1.0
ucDfuSignature DFU
bLength 16
dwCRC be0ea993

Firmware type CSR-dfu2
Firmware check valid checksum
[root@home bt]# btdfu verify GenericCSR.dfu
Filename GenericCSR.dfu
Filesize 994866
Checksum 65085dde

DFU suffix ff ff 01 00 12 0a 00 01 55 46 44 10 de 5d 08 65

idVendor 0a12
idProduct 0001
bcdDevice ffff

bcdDFU 1.0
ucDfuSignature DFU
bLength 16
dwCRC 65085dde

Firmware type CSR-dfu1
Firmware check valid checksum

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Michal,

> kdes koupil tuhle dongle? Ji nemuzu nikde sehnat - teda tuhle revizi :(

maybe this is the wrong language ;)

Regards

Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Pavel,

> I want to upgrade DBT-120 Ver B3 (details below).
> I read instructions on http://www.holtmann.org/linux/bluetooth/dfu.html
> I have downloaded BluetoothFWUpdate1.2.dmg.
> On web is version 1.1, but when I try to download it, then version 1.2
> is saved on to disk.
>
> There are 3 dfu files:
> md5sum and name:
> --------------------------------
> f1cb8ce8d3222af2bb6b512f99be62c7 DeskTop.dfu
> 00acbb467c76a1bca899f888fc23a779 GenericCSR.dfu
> f16c41fa42e04d77a9df6ae8c2d40c82 Portable.dfu
>
> Is this right GenericCSR.dfu for DBT-120 B3?
> I mean correct md5sum.
>
> I know, that flashing with btdfu is without warranty, but do you think that it
> will works?

it should work. You can use "btdfu verify" before upgrading. However
always at your own risk ;)

Regards

Marcel

by CIJOML