2005-02-08 13:43:58

by Filipa Duarte

Subject: [Bluez-users] Some documentation

Dear all,

I do not want to push the discussion about BlueZ
documentation further, however I found a document that
could help some of you:

http://affix.sourceforge.net/affix-tech-doc/1.0/index.html

Although this document is written for Affix (another
Bluetooth protocol stack for Linux - I know that this
could be considered unpolite...) I believe that the
"General Architecture" chapter should be similar to
the BlueZ Architecture (Marcel, could you please
confirm this?).

This document help me understanding what parts of the
stack are on the Kernel Space and on the User Space
and how they interact. And... I did not have to
"follow the code" yet ;))!

Good luck.

Regards,

Filipa Duarte

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Some documentation

Hi Imad,

> > the core architecture is different, because BlueZ
> > hardware is not a network device.
>
> Wath do you mean?
>
> >The IrDA stack made this mistake and
> > so did Affix. The
> > BlueZ uses its own hardware interface.
>
> wich one ? hci_usb.c? affix also have one: btusb.c
>
> >Our driver interface is a lot much cleaner.
>
> Can you give more details?

check the mailing list archive for a detailed analysis from Max.

Regards

Marcel

by benbouzid imad

Hi Marcel,

> the core architecture is different, because BlueZ
> hardware is not a network device.

Wath do you mean?

>The IrDA stack made this mistake and
> so did Affix. The
> BlueZ uses its own hardware interface.

wich one ? hci_usb.c? affix also have one: btusb.c

>Our driver interface is a lot much cleaner.

Can you give more details?

tank you for your clarifications.
regards,
imad

D?couvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail : 250 Mo d'espace de stockage pour vos mails !
Cr?ez votre Yahoo! Mail sur http://fr.mail.yahoo.com/

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Filipa,

> I do not want to push the discussion about BlueZ
> documentation further, however I found a document that
> could help some of you:
>
> http://affix.sourceforge.net/affix-tech-doc/1.0/index.html
>
> Although this document is written for Affix (another
> Bluetooth protocol stack for Linux - I know that this
> could be considered unpolite...) I believe that the
> "General Architecture" chapter should be similar to
> the BlueZ Architecture (Marcel, could you please
> confirm this?).

the core architecture is different, because BlueZ hardware is not a
network device. The IrDA stack made this mistake and so did Affix. The
BlueZ uses its own hardware interface. Our driver interface is a lot
much cleaner.

> This document help me understanding what parts of the
> stack are on the Kernel Space and on the User Space
> and how they interact. And... I did not have to
> "follow the code" yet ;))!

I wrote some articles for German magazines and there are also some
papers on the web. And a lot of my presentation slides are available.

Regards

Marcel