2005-09-30 12:41:08

by Thomas Arendsen Hein

Subject: [Bluez-users] class 1 bluetooth 1.2 dongles with CSR chipset?

Hi!

I just bought an Anubis Typhoon Bluetooth V1.2 USB adapter, which
according to the product page http://www.typhoon.de/en/art.php?p=838
should have "Main chip - CSR BlueCore", but in reality it is a
Broadcom BCM2035 :-/

It seems to work without problems and without needing to load
firmware, but I'm a little disappointed because I searched a long
time trying to find a bluetooth 1.2 class 1 device with CSR chipset.

Aren't there any manufacturers today who sell CSR based USB dongles?

I'm tempted to return it to the store, but what to buy instead?

Thomas

--
Email: [email protected]
http://intevation.de/~thomas/

by Thomas Arendsen Hein

Subject: [Bluez-users] Re: class 1 bluetooth 1.2 dongles with CSR chipset?

* Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> [20050930 15:38]:
> > I just bought an Anubis Typhoon Bluetooth V1.2 USB adapter, which
> > according to the product page http://www.typhoon.de/en/art.php?p=838
> > should have "Main chip - CSR BlueCore", but in reality it is a
> > Broadcom BCM2035 :-/
> >
> > Aren't there any manufacturers today who sell CSR based USB dongles?
> > I'm tempted to return it to the store, but what to buy instead?
>
> try to get a Cellink BlueCore4 based dongle with EDR support.

Just ordered two from misterbluetooth.com in Berlin for 25? each.

Their web shop is broken, but some minutes after sending the order
via email they phoned me back that they will send it tomorrow and
that I don't have to pay in advance.

Would the Typhoon Dongle be helpful for you?

Thomas

--
Email: [email protected]
http://intevation.de/~thomas/

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> I just bought an Anubis Typhoon Bluetooth V1.2 USB adapter, which
> according to the product page http://www.typhoon.de/en/art.php?p=838
> should have "Main chip - CSR BlueCore", but in reality it is a
> Broadcom BCM2035 :-/
>
> It seems to work without problems and without needing to load
> firmware, but I'm a little disappointed because I searched a long
> time trying to find a bluetooth 1.2 class 1 device with CSR chipset.
>
> Aren't there any manufacturers today who sell CSR based USB dongles?
>
> I'm tempted to return it to the store, but what to buy instead?

try to get a Cellink BlueCore4 based dongle with EDR support.

Regards

Marcel

by Christian Schuglitsch

Now I've bought an Epox BT-DG 03 dongle and it works fine.
But I would like to use the bluefritz!2.0 dongle too.
Schugy

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> > try to get a Cellink BlueCore4 based dongle with EDR support.
>
> The two Cellink BTA6030 arrived today, here the output of
> hciconfig hci1 features version revision:
>
> hci1: Type: USB
> BD Address: 00:0A:94:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
> Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xf9 0x00 0x80
> <3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
> <park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2 packets>
> <HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <paging scheme>
> <power control> <transparent SCO> <broadcast encrypt>
> <EDR ACL 2 Mbps> <EDR ACL 3 Mbps> <enhanced iscan>
> <extended SCO> <EV4 packets> <EV5 packets> <AFH cap. slave>
> <AFH class. slave> <3-slot EDR ACL> <5-slot EDR ACL>
> <AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master> <EDR eSCO 2 Mbps>
> <EDR eSCO 3 Mbps> <3-slot EDR eSCO> <extended features>
> HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x5dc LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x5dc
> Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
> Build 1500
> Chip version: BlueCore4-External
> Max key size: 56 bit
> SCO mapping: HCI
>
> The version numbers look strange.

the version numbers can be corrected with the pskey tool. Check version
and remver PS keys.

> Unfortunately the dongles only support 56bit encryption.

You can flash a 128-bit firmware into it, but currently no such firmware
is not available in the public.

Regards

Marcel

by Thomas Arendsen Hein

* Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> [20050930 15:38]:
> try to get a Cellink BlueCore4 based dongle with EDR support.

The two Cellink BTA6030 arrived today, here the output of
hciconfig hci1 features version revision:

hci1: Type: USB
BD Address: 00:0A:94:xx:xx:xx ACL MTU: 384:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x8f 0xfe 0x9b 0xf9 0x00 0x80
<3-slot packets> <5-slot packets> <encryption> <slot offset>
<park state> <RSSI> <channel quality> <SCO link> <HV2 packets>
<HV3 packets> <u-law log> <A-law log> <CVSD> <paging scheme>
<power control> <transparent SCO> <broadcast encrypt>
<EDR ACL 2 Mbps> <EDR ACL 3 Mbps> <enhanced iscan>
<extended SCO> <EV4 packets> <EV5 packets> <AFH cap. slave>
<AFH class. slave> <3-slot EDR ACL> <5-slot EDR ACL>
<AFH cap. master> <AFH class. master> <EDR eSCO 2 Mbps>
<EDR eSCO 3 Mbps> <3-slot EDR eSCO> <extended features>
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x5dc LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver: 0x5dc
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)
Build 1500
Chip version: BlueCore4-External
Max key size: 56 bit
SCO mapping: HCI

The version numbers look strange.

Unfortunately the dongles only support 56bit encryption.

Thomas

--
Email: [email protected]
http://intevation.de/~thomas/

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Thomas,

> > > I just bought an Anubis Typhoon Bluetooth V1.2 USB adapter, which
> > > according to the product page http://www.typhoon.de/en/art.php?p=3D=
838
> > > should have "Main chip - CSR BlueCore", but in reality it is a
> > > Broadcom BCM2035 :-/
> > >=20
> > > Aren't there any manufacturers today who sell CSR based USB dongles=
?
> > > I'm tempted to return it to the store, but what to buy instead?
> >=20
> > try to get a Cellink BlueCore4 based dongle with EDR support.
>=20
> Just ordered two from misterbluetooth.com in Berlin for 25=E2=82=AC eac=
h.
>=20
> Their web shop is broken, but some minutes after sending the order
> via email they phoned me back that they will send it tomorrow and
> that I don't have to pay in advance.
>=20
> Would the Typhoon Dongle be helpful for you?

if you don't need anymore, of course.

Regards

Marcel

by Christian Schuglitsch

Dear Linux Bluetooth users,
I've bought an AVM Bluefritz! V2.0 dongle because AVM has a page that
says that this dongle works with Linux.
This may be true for wireless ISDN/DSL but not for headsets/8khz duplex
audio connections. After pairing I'm stuck.

Well, I've checked the CSR partners page but I haven't found any
interesting vendor there.

I've found some well known like MSI or Samsung but none of them reaches
the quality of AVM ( including 5 year warranty).
MSI sells graphics cards with wrong firmware, mainboards with disabled
USB-Ports and Samsung device always fail ( DVD drive, HDD, DV camera).
I don't trust them.

And of course I like hardware that runs with open source drivers that
don't require any firmware files. E.g. I've bought a Twinhan DVB card
instead of a Avermedia 771. It's all about diversity and choice ;)

snd-bt-sco isn't compatible with Bluefritz but maybe there's someone in
this world who can develop another driver module. I just wonder how this
was done the Windows way ( I don't have Windows).
I'm just a poor apprentice and I know it isn't very attractive if I
donate 50? but I can't give more support :-(

Thanks for reading

Schugy