Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] Emulating a gps receiver

On April 7, 2008 04:34:54 am [email protected] wrote:
> I could connect an ordinary receiver to Linux box and read it's
> output but as a Bluetooth newbie i do not have any clue how to make a
> computer looks like a receiver.

You're looking for the local device class definition
in /etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf. It's a bitfield. Googleing for hcid.conf gives
me one of my favourite documentation sites, die.net:

http://linux.die.net/man/5/hcid.conf

About halfway down you can see what the device class is composed of and what
each bit means.

> I can search the bt devices with the phone and computer is listed there
> but apparently i had to run some daemon to link the bluetooth and rfcomm
> devices together. According my experiences so far this application is not
> rfcomm:-(

I imagine you want to use rfcomm; it has a 'listen' command that would allow
you to attach your own utility (which spits NMEA sentences out to stdout) to
an rfcomm channel.

You may also have to configure an SDP record to "advertise" the rfcomm port to
the phone you're testing with. "sdptool add" would probably be what you want
here.

I'm not an expert either, but us newbies have to stick together and pull
ourselves out of this muck. :-)

-A.

by Ari Moisio

Hello

Thanks. Fixed class definition and added SP to service. Rfcomm appears
to be little old in Debian (3.7), it did not recognize the watch command
and i had to split the given command for two separate commands but this is
not a problem. Sending a nmea log one line in second with simple script
worked perfectly:-)

--
mr. M01510

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008, Brad Midgley wrote:

> Guys
>
> If you set up gpsd, you can do this in a straightforward way, assuming
> rfcomm0 is available:
>
> sdptool add SP
> rfcomm -r watch 0 1 sh -c "gpspipe -r >/dev/rfcomm0" &
>
> the first command advertises a serial port on channel 1, the second
> sets up a listener that will repeat the nmea stream over channel 1
> whenever someone connects on it.
>
> there may be ways to make gpsd put out a pre-recorded stream, or you
> could write your own app that runs in place of gpspipe and slowly
> sends out your nmea log in eg 1-second intervals.
>
> Andrew's device class suggestion may be required for some devices, but
> I didn't need it for a pocketpc or my n800.
>
> Brad

by Brad Midgley