2004-11-24 16:11:50

by Manjunath Prabhu

Subject: [Bluez-users] BT test mode operation

hi marcel,
can i configure my bt dongles to operate in test mode....and then
conduct the loopback or transmitter tests. This is indicated in the
HCI part of the specification....so is it possible to run these tests
just with BT devices connected to host PC's, and not using a BT
protocol analyser.
If i buy a BT tester, then wouldn't my BT dongle be the DUT....
Also, if i buy a CATC-tracer/trainer, should I again buy a BT tester????

thanks and regards,
manjunath

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] BT test mode operation

Hi Manjunath,

> 1> So, i might have to generate hci cmds with correct opcodes for my
> BT dongles to communicate....I'll try and experiment a little bit. Has
> any work taken place on this front??

actually using "hcitool cmd ..." is very easy.

> 2> the BT tester i was talking about is more of a RF tester as given
> in this link http://www.elsinco.com/wi_blue.htm
> So my question again is ...does a CATC trainer also accomodate the
> features of the product given in the above link.

I don't think so, but how should I know. I am not a RF expert. May you
should simply ask the CATC sales staff.

Regards

Marcel

by Manjunath Prabhu

Hi Marcel,
1> So, i might have to generate hci cmds with correct opcodes for my
BT dongles to communicate....I'll try and experiment a little bit. Has
any work taken place on this front??

2> the BT tester i was talking about is more of a RF tester as given
in this link http://www.elsinco.com/wi_blue.htm
So my question again is ...does a CATC trainer also accomodate the
features of the product given in the above link.

thanks,
Best regards,
Manjunath

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:44:35 +0100, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Manjunath,
>
> > can i configure my bt dongles to operate in test mode....and then
> > conduct the loopback or transmitter tests. This is indicated in the
> > HCI part of the specification....so is it possible to run these tests
> > just with BT devices connected to host PC's, and not using a BT
> > protocol analyser.
>
> you can set your devices into test mode with the correct HCI command. I
> think you need to use "hcitool cmd ..." for that, because I never tried
> or implemented support for it.
>
> What has this to do with a protocol analyzer?
>
> > If i buy a BT tester, then wouldn't my BT dongle be the DUT....
> > Also, if i buy a CATC-tracer/trainer, should I again buy a BT tester????
>
> Actually what do you mean by BT Tester?
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann