2004-12-08 05:18:00

by Manjunath Prabhu

Subject: [Bluez-users] HCI send and receive

Hi Marcel,
I want to set up an HCI connection between 2 dongles, see the default
packet type at connection, then send data. Now keeping the existing
connection, I want to change packet type and then send data....Is
this possible????
Should I write small programs just to send and receive data with known
payload....then I can establish a connection using hcitool and use
these programs to send and receive data passing the connection handle
as the parameter. Is this right??

Regards,
Manjunath

by Marcel Holtmann

Subject: Re: [Bluez-users] HCI send and receive

Hi Manjunath,

> > > I want to set up an HCI connection between 2 dongles, see the default
> > > packet type at connection, then send data. Now keeping the existing
> > > connection, I want to change packet type and then send data....Is
> > > this possible????
> >
> > I don't see what you expect from this, but it is possible.
>
> What i am expecting is a measure of varying throughput with change in
> packet type.

I don't see for what this will be good, but you can simply set the same
packet type on both sides with hciconfig and then use l2test or rctest
for measuring. Or create a PAN and use standard IP tools.

> > > Should I write small programs just to send and receive data with known
> > > payload....then I can establish a connection using hcitool and use
> > > these programs to send and receive data passing the connection handle
> > > as the parameter. Is this right??
> >
> > All API commands you need are there and you can always use the HCI raw
> > socket. It is a H:4 based, one command or data packet per read/write
> > interface.
> I am ignorant about this.....are you saying HCI raw socket provides
> the one command or data packet per read/write interface....can you
> elaborate...

It is as I said. You can write/read H:4 on a HCI raw socket.

> And it is a good idea to send L2CAP conform ACL data packets.
> Does this mean it would be a L2CAP connection as you send some chips
> expect L2CAp frames???

I think some chips do and actually also the remote Bluetooth stack might
expect L2CAP.

Regards

Marcel

by Manjunath Prabhu

Hi Marcel,

On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 06:34:48 +0100, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Manjunath,
>
> > I want to set up an HCI connection between 2 dongles, see the default
> > packet type at connection, then send data. Now keeping the existing
> > connection, I want to change packet type and then send data....Is
> > this possible????
>
> I don't see what you expect from this, but it is possible.

What i am expecting is a measure of varying throughput with change in
packet type.

> > Should I write small programs just to send and receive data with known
> > payload....then I can establish a connection using hcitool and use
> > these programs to send and receive data passing the connection handle
> > as the parameter. Is this right??
>
> All API commands you need are there and you can always use the HCI raw
> socket. It is a H:4 based, one command or data packet per read/write
> interface.
I am ignorant about this.....are you saying HCI raw socket provides
the one command or data packet per read/write interface....can you
elaborate...

And it is a good idea to send L2CAP conform ACL data packets.
Does this mean it would be a L2CAP connection as you send some chips
expect L2CAp frames???
Regards,
Manjunath

> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Marcel Holtmann

Hi Manjunath,

> I want to set up an HCI connection between 2 dongles, see the default
> packet type at connection, then send data. Now keeping the existing
> connection, I want to change packet type and then send data....Is
> this possible????

I don't see what you expect from this, but it is possible.

> Should I write small programs just to send and receive data with known
> payload....then I can establish a connection using hcitool and use
> these programs to send and receive data passing the connection handle
> as the parameter. Is this right??

All API commands you need are there and you can always use the HCI raw
socket. It is a H:4 based, one command or data packet per read/write
interface. And it is a good idea to send L2CAP conform ACL data packets.

Regards

Marcel