2005-02-15 16:21:54

by Dave Henriksen

Subject: [Bluez-users] Quality Bluetooth access point

Does anyone know of a really good class 1 Bluetooth network access point ?

We have had fairly good luck with the AXIS access point, but it is no
longer being supported by AXIS. Also, it tends to go brain dead once
in a while, and sometimes even requires a hard reboot.

The Anycom access point looks decent, but doesn't provide much in terms
of logging and debugging of connection problems. Also, there is no
way to tell it not to save the link keys. The firmware also has a bug
in it where if you tell it to automatically check for new firmware on
startup, it becomes a boat anchor and has to be sent back to the
manufacturer (This is documented on their website).

I have seen a few others out there, but I don't believe that any of them
are Class 1 devices.

I would prefer to buy a really good access point, but I am now
considering just building my own using BlueZ, and a very small single
board computer running a 300MHZ Geode processor.

by Florian Kimpenhaus

Subject: AW: [Bluez-users] Quality Bluetooth access point

Hi Dave,

I use an elmeg D@vos44dsl it integrates an BT-AP into an ISDN-DSL Router
with a bunch of telecommunication features. It works stable enough for =
home
use but sometimes the AP hangs and requires a hard reboot. It uses the
LAN-AP profile with ppp.(PAN would be nice :( ) Logging? Yes but only =
under
Windows and not very detailed. Speed is about 40KB-50KB with an old =
BT3030
USB-Dongel (not really fast). Btw it costs 329=80 plus 70=80 for the =
Bluetooth
module not really a bargain (in fact you do not need ISDN or DSL
functionality).=20
The anycom BT-AP is expensive too (730=80 for ANYCOM Blue AP-2001 Anycom =
LAN
Access Point AlpsChip GR D, (CC3051)).

What about using an apple mac mini as base system? Low power consumption =
(13
Watts idle), small, quiet, CD/DVD?! Internal BT-module (is it class 1?)
(maybe apple build an EDR module one day so you can upgrade or simply =
use an
USB device)
For about 590=80 and if you have some use for the other hardware it =
looks
interesting.

If you build one single board computer it would be nice if you post the
components you use and how expensive it goes in the end.

Regards Florian

-----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----