2005-02-28 14:31:50

by Benny

Subject: [Bluez-users] Bluetooth PC Headset - SCO connection failed

Hi Marcel,
Thanks for your clarifications for my mail.

I am not able to establish SCO connection from PC to headset.

My linux kernel version is 2.4.29. I have downloaded the required
files from bluetooth-alsa.sf.net and followed the instructions as per
the Readme files.

To send audio over bluetooth:
i) I am using alsa-driver-0.9.6, snd-bluez-sco-2003-09-15 drivers.
ii) For alsa driver and library I patched
alsa-driver-0.9.6-bluezsco.patch,alsa-lib-0.9.6-bluezsco.patch
respectively.
iii) I am using bluetooth mono headset and on the linux PC I use a
standard USB bluetooth dongle.
iv) I have installed on a linux PC the alsa's snd-bluez-sco driver and
its dependencies.

I am getting the following results:

[root@localhost BT-Test]# hciconfig hci0 up
[root@localhost BT-Test]# hciconfig hci0 voice 0x0040
[root@localhost BT-Test]# hciconfig -a
hci0: Type: USB
BD Address: 01:5A:4B:20:07:DB ACL MTU: 192:8 SCO MTU: 64:8
UP RUNNING PSCAN ISCAN
RX bytes:10132 acl:198 sco:0 events:421 errors:0
TX bytes:5332 acl:192 sco:0 commands:142 errors:0
Features: 0xff 0xff 0x0f 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
Packet type: DM1 DM3 DM5 DH1 DH3 DH5 HV1 HV2 HV3
Link policy: RSWITCH HOLD SNIFF PARK
Link mode: SLAVE ACCEPT
Name: 'BlueZ (0)'
Class: 0x3e0100
Service Classes: Networking, Rendering, Capturing
Device Class: Computer, Uncategorized
HCI Ver: 1.1 (0x1) HCI Rev: 0x110 LMP Ver: 1.1 (0x1) LMP Subver:
0x110
Manufacturer: Cambridge Silicon Radio (10)

[root@localhost BT-Test]# hcitool scan
Scanning ...
AE:2D:00:44:01:00 HDS_MONO100

[root@localhostBT-Test]# sdptool search --bdaddr AE:2D:00:44:01:00
0x1108
Class 0x1108
Searching for 0x1108 on AE:2D:00:44:01:00 ...
Service Name: HSU
Service RecHandle: 0x90001
Service Class ID List:
"Headset" (0x1108)
"Generic Audio" (0x1203)
Protocol Descriptor List:
"L2CAP" (0x0100)
"RFCOMM" (0x0003)
Channel: 1
Language Base Attr List:
code_ISO639: 0x656e
encoding: 0x6a
base_offset: 0x100
Profile Descriptor List:
"Headset" (0x1108)
Version: 0x0100

[root@localhost BT-Test]# bluezsco AE:2D:00:44:01:00 1
Device is 0:0
Voice setting: 0x0040
RFCOMM channel connected
Can't connect SCO audio channel: No such file or directory

Please advice.

Thanks & Regards,
Benny

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 09:12:23 +0100, Marcel Holtmann <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi Benny,
>
> > We are planning for a single bluetooth device(microcontroller based)
> > featuring a headset and our custom hardware device which sends status
> > to the PC and gets control information over bluetooth. We plan to use
> > a Bluetooth SoC with Headset Profile interfaced to the microcontroller
> > over UART which fetches the status/control data from our custom
> > hardware.
> >
> > On the PC side(linux) we are going to use a standard USB Bluetooth
> > dongle. We are using the Bluez on the Linux PC side.
> >
> > i) We need to send audio information(playing song using some MP3
> > player) from PC to the bluetooth device headset and also send data
> > from Mic to the PC for voice recording.
> >
> > What setup we need to make for audio configuration in Linux PC to
> > route the audio information to the headset and a voice recording
> > setup?
>
> look at the information at bluetooth-alsa.sf.net
>
> > ii) Parallely we want to recieve the status info from the bluetooth
> > device and need to send the appropriate control information from PC.
> > We have tested data transfer between 2 PCs using BT USB dongles at
> > L2CAP level. But our final target is we need to implement in firware
> > on our Microcontroller.
> >
> > Is there a firmware level implementation of Bluez available?
>
> No and we don't have any plans for it, until the firmware of your
> Microcontroller is Linux based.
>
> Regards
>
> Marcel

by Brad Midgley

Benny

> My linux kernel version is 2.4.29.

I just fixed the docs to make it clear you need a recent 2.6 kernel.

Brad

by Brad Midgley

Benny

> We need to transfer additional data(full duplex between a linux PC and
> the Headset) parallely apart from the headset functionality. Is this
> possible?

It's not clear what you're asking since most (all?) headsets only
support audio data.

I believe you can open an rfcomm connection to the headset and transfer
data in parallel to audio if your headset knew what to do with it.

Brad

by Benny

Thanks Brad for your suggestion and now we got the Headset working
after upgrading our linux kernel to 2.6.9 and using latest CVS file
from the ALSA-Bluetooth project(btsco).