2009-07-16 06:48:36

by Stephen Rothwell

Subject: Re: A tree to pull into linux-next

Hi Jan,

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:37:42 +0200 Jan Kara <[email protected]> wrote:

> I've decided to create a tree through which I can occasionally merge
> mainly ext3/JBD fixes (and possibly also fixes to filesystems which
> don't have a maintainer). Hopefully this reduces chances that some patches
> get lost on the way... Could you please start pulling the tree below to
> linux-next? Thanks.
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jack/linux-fs-2.6.git for_next

I am happy to include this, but (no offense) I would like to hear from
the ext3 and jbd maintainers (cc'd) about it.

For reference:

What I tell everyone: all patches/commits in the tree/series must
have been:

posted to a relevant mailing list
reviewed
unit tested
destined for the next merge window (or the current release)

*before* they are included. The linux-next tree is for integration
testing and to lower the impact of conflicts between subsystems in the
next merge window.

Basically, this should be just what you would send to Linus (or ask him
to fetch). It is allowed to be rebased if you deem it necessary.
Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.18 kB)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Jan Kara

On Thu 16-07-09 16:48:26, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> Hi Jan,
>
> On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:37:42 +0200 Jan Kara <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I've decided to create a tree through which I can occasionally merge
> > mainly ext3/JBD fixes (and possibly also fixes to filesystems which
> > don't have a maintainer). Hopefully this reduces chances that some patches
> > get lost on the way... Could you please start pulling the tree below to
> > linux-next? Thanks.
> >
> > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jack/linux-fs-2.6.git for_next
>
> I am happy to include this, but (no offense) I would like to hear from
> the ext3 and jbd maintainers (cc'd) about it.
Sure. BTW: Stephen Tweedie isn't doing ext3/jbd anymore for a few years
(probably we should remove him from MAINTAINERS)...

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SUSE Labs, CR

2009-07-16 11:48:19

by Theodore Ts'o

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 04:48:26PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> I am happy to include this, but (no offense) I would like to hear from
> the ext3 and jbd maintainers (cc'd) about it.

The main isssue would be that akpm often has ext3 changes stashed in
-mm. Having a separate ext3 tree makes sense, and if Jan wants to
maintain it, that makes good sense to me, but we should get Andrew's
sign off, and Jan should make sure he has any ext3/jbd patches that
might be in -mm, to avoid any potential patch conflicts.

- Ted

2009-07-16 11:52:22

by Jan Kara

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 04:48:26PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >
> > I am happy to include this, but (no offense) I would like to hear from
> > the ext3 and jbd maintainers (cc'd) about it.
> >

> The main isssue would be that akpm often has ext3 changes stashed in
> -mm. Having a separate ext3 tree makes sense, and if Jan wants to
> maintain it, that makes good sense to me, but we should get Andrew's
> sign off, and Jan should make sure he has any ext3/jbd patches that
> might be in -mm, to avoid any potential patch conflicts.
Yeah. It's upto Andrew. I think he pulls linux-next so he should notice
conflicts. Anyway, I don't mind pushing the changes through him if he
likes it more that way but I've felt that he's rather busy and this
hopefully helps him a bit...

Honza
--
Jan Kara <[email protected]>
SuSE CR Labs

2009-07-16 11:57:01

by Stephen C. Tweedie

Hi,

On Thu, 2009-07-16 at 12:45 +0200, Jan Kara wrote:

> > I am happy to include this, but (no offense) I would like to hear from
> > the ext3 and jbd maintainers (cc'd) about it.
> Sure. BTW: Stephen Tweedie isn't doing ext3/jbd anymore for a few years
> (probably we should remove him from MAINTAINERS)...

ACK, sadly I'm unlikely to find time for this in the near future.

--Stephen

2009-07-21 06:09:07

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Andrew,

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 13:52:21 +0200 Jan Kara <[email protected]> wrote:

> > On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 04:48:26PM +1000, Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> > >
> > > I am happy to include this, but (no offense) I would like to hear from
> > > the ext3 and jbd maintainers (cc'd) about it.
> > >

> > The main isssue would be that akpm often has ext3 changes stashed in
> > -mm. Having a separate ext3 tree makes sense, and if Jan wants to
> > maintain it, that makes good sense to me, but we should get Andrew's
> > sign off, and Jan should make sure he has any ext3/jbd patches that
> > might be in -mm, to avoid any potential patch conflicts.
> Yeah. It's upto Andrew. I think he pulls linux-next so he should notice
> conflicts. Anyway, I don't mind pushing the changes through him if he
> likes it more that way but I've felt that he's rather busy and this
> hopefully helps him a bit...

Any comments?
Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/

Attachments:
(No filename) (0.99 kB)
(No filename) (197.00 B)

by Andrew Morton

On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 16:08:52 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi Andrew,

> > > The main isssue would be that akpm often has ext3 changes stashed in
> > > -mm. Having a separate ext3 tree makes sense, and if Jan wants to
> > > maintain it, that makes good sense to me, but we should get Andrew's
> > > sign off, and Jan should make sure he has any ext3/jbd patches that
> > > might be in -mm, to avoid any potential patch conflicts.
> > Yeah. It's upto Andrew. I think he pulls linux-next so he should notice
> > conflicts. Anyway, I don't mind pushing the changes through him if he
> > likes it more that way but I've felt that he's rather busy and this
> > hopefully helps him a bit...
>
> Any comments?

Sure, I'm OK with sending ext3/jbd stuff in Jan's direction.

Just don't break it ;)

2009-07-21 06:27:34

by Stephen Rothwell

Hi Jan,

On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 23:15:35 -0700 Andrew Morton <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sure, I'm OK with sending ext3/jbd stuff in Jan's direction.

I will add you tree to linux-next tomorrow.

> Just don't break it ;)

Indeed
Stephen Rothwell [email protected]
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/