2007-01-26 10:06:55

by Coly Li

Subject: where is the ext4 git tree ?

Hi friends:

I can not find the ext4 git tree (on kernel.org) which Te mentioned on
the talk. Can anybody give me a point ? I am new to ext4.

Coly

2007-01-26 15:58:24

by Mingming Cao

Subject: Re: where is the ext4 git tree ?

coly wrote:

> Hi friends:
>
> I can not find the ext4 git tree (on kernel.org) which Te mentioned on
> the talk. Can anybody give me a point ? I am new to ext4.

That was the plan discussed a few weeks ago. Ted is travelling (I
think??so he may not get a chance to work on it or annonce it yet. Stay
tuned...

> Coly
>
> -

by Coly Li

Cao:

Thanks for your reply. I have download -mm tree and patched it into
2.6.20-rc4. I can learn the source code fist :-)

Best regards.

Coly

在 2007-01-26五的 07:56 -0800,Mingming Cao写道:
> coly wrote:
>
> > Hi friends:
> >
> > I can not find the ext4 git tree (on kernel.org) which Te mentioned on
> > the talk. Can anybody give me a point ? I am new to ext4.
> >

> That was the plan discussed a few weeks ago. Ted is travelling (I
> think)so he may not get a chance to work on it or annonce it yet. Stay
> tuned...
>
> > Coly
> >
> > -
> > To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-ext4" in
> > the body of a message to [email protected]

by Theodore Ts'o

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:56:59AM -0800, Mingming Cao wrote:

> >I can not find the ext4 git tree (on kernel.org) which Te mentioned on
> >the talk. Can anybody give me a point ? I am new to ext4.
> >

> That was the plan discussed a few weeks ago. Ted is travelling (I
> think)so he may not get a chance to work on it or annonce it yet. Stay
> tuned...

The first patch series can be found here:

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/2.6.20-rc5-ext4-1

I've included Alex's latest patches which he sent back in December,
but I haven't gone back before that looking for patches from before.
If you think there is a patch which should be included that hasn't
been, please repost it to linux-ext4.

(The reason why I haven't included Takashi-san's patches is that they
were based on an earlier version of Alex's patches, and so they didn't
apply cleanly. It wouldn't be hard to fix it up, but it would have
met changing the ioctl assignments, and so I decided to let him do
that in order to avoid potential future confusion.)

I haven't had time to rebase to 2.6.20-rc6, or to set up the git tree.
When I do, it people should note that it will be frequently rewound
and rebased, and so it will be useful mainly for people who like to
use it to update their git trees. Some folks may find it more
convenient to work with the series file and the patches (especially
since I'll probably be keeping notes about the status of patches in
there).

- Ted

2007-01-26 20:47:24

by Alex Tomas

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 11:51:19AM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
> The first patch series can be found here:
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/2.6.20-rc5-ext4-1
>
> I've included Alex's latest patches which he sent back in December,
> but I haven't gone back before that looking for patches from before.
> If you think there is a patch which should be included that hasn't
> been, please repost it to linux-ext4.

I'd appreciate a lot review and discussion of mballoc's design.

the most serious change over the last version is preallocation. because
of specific workloads our customers like we have to support multiple
preallocations per inode.

a bit about structures ... every preallocated chunk is described with a
special structure. preallocated space is assigned to logical offset of
a file. the structure is on two lists:
1) preallocations in a group
2) preallocations in an inode

before searching blocks, mballoc loads on-disk bitmap and generates:
1) in-core bitmap, which is copy of on-disk bitmap + all preallocated
blocks in the group
2) buddy, which is generated from in-core bitmap

once the both structures are initialized, mballoc finds suitable space
and creates preallocation descriptor, if preallocation is requested.
subsquent allocations find the descriptor via per-inode list using logical
offset as a key and mark block(s) used in on-disk bitmap.

thanks, Alex

2007-01-27 13:28:18

by Coly Li

Theodore:

It seems the patch file is based on stable kernel tree, not -mm tree.
Isn't it ?

Thanks.

Coly

在 2007-01-26五的 11:51 -0500,Theodore Tso写道:
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 07:56:59AM -0800, Mingming Cao wrote:
> > >
> > >I can not find the ext4 git tree (on kernel.org) which Te mentioned on
> > >the talk. Can anybody give me a point ? I am new to ext4.
> > >

> > That was the plan discussed a few weeks ago. Ted is travelling (I
> > think)so he may not get a chance to work on it or annonce it yet. Stay
> > tuned...
>
> The first patch series can be found here:
>
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/tytso/ext4-patches/2.6.20-rc5-ext4-1
>
> I've included Alex's latest patches which he sent back in December,
> but I haven't gone back before that looking for patches from before.
> If you think there is a patch which should be included that hasn't
> been, please repost it to linux-ext4.
>
> (The reason why I haven't included Takashi-san's patches is that they
> were based on an earlier version of Alex's patches, and so they didn't
> apply cleanly. It wouldn't be hard to fix it up, but it would have
> met changing the ioctl assignments, and so I decided to let him do
> that in order to avoid potential future confusion.)
>
> I haven't had time to rebase to 2.6.20-rc6, or to set up the git tree.
> When I do, it people should note that it will be frequently rewound
> and rebased, and so it will be useful mainly for people who like to
> use it to update their git trees. Some folks may find it more
> convenient to work with the series file and the patches (especially
> since I'll probably be keeping notes about the status of patches in
> there).
>
> - Ted

2007-01-27 21:53:40

by Theodore Ts'o

On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 09:26:27PM +0800, coly wrote:

> It seems the patch file is based on stable kernel tree, not -mm tree.
> Isn't it ?

Yes, it's based on 2.6.20-rc5. I'm not sure it really makes sense to
use the term "stable kernel tree" as it relates to 2.6, but no, it's
not based off of the -mm tree.

- Ted

2007-01-28 05:11:10

by Coly Li

Ted:

Thank you ! It is clear to me :-)

Coly

在 2007-01-27六的 16:53 -0500,Theodore Tso写道: