2011-07-18 12:42:29

by Jörn Engel

Subject: Re: Filesystem benchmarks on reasonably fast hardware

On Mon, 18 July 2011 08:07:51 -0400, Ted Ts'o wrote:

> Can you send me your script and the lockstat for ext4?

Attached. The first script generates a bunch of files, the second
condenses them into the tabular form. Will need some massaging to
work on anything other than my particular setup, sorry.

> (Please cc the [email protected] list if you don't mind.
> Thanks!!)

Sure. Lockstat will come later today. The machine is currently busy
regenerating xfs seqrd numbers.

Jörn

--
I've never met a human being who would want to read 17,000 pages of
documentation, and if there was, I'd kill him to get him out of the

Attachments:
(No filename) (666.00 B)
sysbench.sh (1.52 kB)
sysbench_result.sh (772.00 B)

by Theodore Ts'o

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 02:42:29PM +0200, J?rn Engel wrote:
> On Mon, 18 July 2011 08:07:51 -0400, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> >
> > Can you send me your script and the lockstat for ext4?
>
> Attached. The first script generates a bunch of files, the second
> condenses them into the tabular form. Will need some massaging to
> work on anything other than my particular setup, sorry.
>
> > (Please cc the [email protected] list if you don't mind.
> > Thanks!!)
>
> Sure. Lockstat will come later today. The machine is currently busy
> regenerating xfs seqrd numbers.

Hi J?rn,

Did you have a chance to do an ext4 lockstat run?

Many thanks!!

- Ted

2011-07-25 18:20:37

by Jörn Engel

On Mon, 25 July 2011 11:18:25 -0400, Ted Ts'o wrote:

> Did you have a chance to do an ext4 lockstat run?

Yes, I did. But your mails keep bouncing, so you have to look at the
list to see it (or this mail). Yes, I lack a proper reverse DNS
record, as the IP belongs to my provider, not me. Most people don't
care, some bounce, some silently ignore my mail. The joys of spam
filtering.

Jörn

--
The rabbit runs faster than the fox, because the rabbit is rinning for
his life while the fox is only running for his dinner.

2011-07-25 21:18:14

by Theodore Ts'o

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 08:20:37PM +0200, J?rn Engel wrote:
> On Mon, 25 July 2011 11:18:25 -0400, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> >
> > Did you have a chance to do an ext4 lockstat run?
>
> Yes, I did. But your mails keep bouncing, so you have to look at the
> list to see it (or this mail). Yes, I lack a proper reverse DNS
> record, as the IP belongs to my provider, not me. Most people don't
> care, some bounce, some silently ignore my mail. The joys of spam
> filtering.

I didn't see the ext4 lockstat on the list. Can you resend it to
[email protected] or [email protected]? MIT is using an
outsourced SPAM provider (Brightmail anti-spam), and I can't do
anything about that, unfortunately. From what I can tell the
Brightmail doesn't drop all e-mails from non-resolving IP's, but if
it's in a "bad neighborhood" (i.e., your neighbors are all spammers,
or belong to Windows users where 80% of the machines are spambots),
Brightmail is probably going to flag your mail as spam. :-(

Thanks!

- Ted

2011-07-26 14:57:47

by Theodore Ts'o

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 08:20:37PM +0200, J?rn Engel wrote:
> On Mon, 25 July 2011 11:18:25 -0400, Ted Ts'o wrote:
> >
> > Did you have a chance to do an ext4 lockstat run?

Hi J?rn,

Thanks for forwarding it to me. It's the same problem as in XFS, the
excessive coverage of the i_mutex lock. In ext4's case, it's in the
generic generic_file_aio_write() machinery where we need to do the
lock busting. (XFS apparently doesn't use the generic routines, so
the fix that Dave did won't help ext3 and ext4.)

I don't have the time to look at it now, but I'll put it on my todo
list; or maybe someone with a bit more time can look into how we might
be able to use a similar approach in the generic file system code.

- Ted

2011-07-27 03:39:08

by Yongqiang Yang

Hi J?rn and Ted,

Could you anyone send out the ext4 lock stat on the list?

Thank you,
Yongqiang.