2007-03-20 15:19:28

by Jean-Pierre Dion

Subject: Ext4 benchmarks

Hi all,

we already discussed during the conf calls what
benchmarks should be ran on ext4.

As we have OLS paper on the table we were thinking
here at Bull what bench t run and on which kernel.

If we want trying to compare ext3 and ext4, I guess we
should at least show that :
- ext4 has equivalent perfs than ext3,
- improvements done for ext3 are still in ext4 (mb alloc, del alloc...).

So we were wondering what's best to do :
- run on 2.6.19 (includes del alloc and mb alloc if I am not wrong),
- run on 2.6.20 (lacks mb alloc),

- select relevant benchs (iozone...).

What do you think ?

Thanks.

jean-pierre

2007-03-21 03:10:11

by Jose R. Santos

Subject: Re: Ext4 benchmarks

Jean-Pierre Dion wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we already discussed during the conf calls what
> benchmarks should be ran on ext4.
>
> As we have OLS paper on the table we were thinking
> here at Bull what bench t run and on which kernel.
>
> If we want trying to compare ext3 and ext4, I guess we
> should at least show that :
> - ext4 has equivalent perfs than ext3,

Define equivalent performance.

Are the workloads only going to be focused on single repetitive
operations or simulation of actual desktop/server environments? How
about performance on an aged filesystem?
> - improvements done for ext3 are still in ext4 (mb alloc, del alloc...).
>
> So we were wondering what's best to do :
> - run on 2.6.19 (includes del alloc and mb alloc if I am not wrong),
> - run on 2.6.20 (lacks mb alloc),

What about system configurations? While a desktop configuration would
be easy to come by, a server configuration needs a bit more thought.
Will ext4 perform better than ext3 in a wide range of storage
configuration that scale from a couple thousands IOPS to several hundred
thousand IOPS?

Having baseline data on other filesystems like XFS or JFS would be
interesting as well to see how well ext4 stacks up to the competition. :)
> - select relevant benchs (iozone...).

I haven checked IOzone in quite a bit but last time I checked FFSB had a
couple of capabilities that are not available in IOzone like multi
threading on a shared data set and a very customizable IO operations to
attempt to simulate real IO patterns seen on workloads. Might be worth
a look if your interested in compiling a very comprehensive set of results
> What do you think ?
>
> Thanks.
>

> jean-pierre

-JRS

2007-03-28 09:06:08

by Jean-Pierre Dion

Hi Jose,

thank you for the feedback.

We took your remarks into account and we are doing some perfs with
iozone (close to desktop activity, mono-thread) and ffsb (allows to run
benchs
in a multi-thread activity like a server does, different blocks sizes...).

We compare ext3 and ext4 (with extents, w/ and w/o del alloc...)...

We will publish the results on bullopensource.org

jean-pierre

Jose R. Santos wrote:
> Jean-Pierre Dion wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> we already discussed during the conf calls what
>> benchmarks should be ran on ext4.
>>
>> As we have OLS paper on the table we were thinking
>> here at Bull what bench t run and on which kernel.
>>
>> If we want trying to compare ext3 and ext4, I guess we
>> should at least show that :
>> - ext4 has equivalent perfs than ext3,
>>

> Define equivalent performance.
>
> Are the workloads only going to be focused on single repetitive
> operations or simulation of actual desktop/server environments? How
> about performance on an aged filesystem?
>> - improvements done for ext3 are still in ext4 (mb alloc, del alloc...).
>>
>> So we were wondering what's best to do :
>> - run on 2.6.19 (includes del alloc and mb alloc if I am not wrong),
>> - run on 2.6.20 (lacks mb alloc),
>>

> What about system configurations? While a desktop configuration would
> be easy to come by, a server configuration needs a bit more thought.
> Will ext4 perform better than ext3 in a wide range of storage
> configuration that scale from a couple thousands IOPS to several
> hundred thousand IOPS?
>
> Having baseline data on other filesystems like XFS or JFS would be
> interesting as well to see how well ext4 stacks up to the competition. :)
>> - select relevant benchs (iozone...).
>>

> I haven checked IOzone in quite a bit but last time I checked FFSB had
> a couple of capabilities that are not available in IOzone like multi
> threading on a shared data set and a very customizable IO operations
> to attempt to simulate real IO patterns seen on workloads. Might be
> worth a look if your interested in compiling a very comprehensive set
> of results
>> What do you think ?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> jean-pierre
>>

> -JRS

2007-03-28 11:27:29

by Ric Wheeler

Jean-Pierre Dion wrote:
> Hi Jose,
>
> thank you for the feedback.
>
> We took your remarks into account and we are doing some perfs with
> iozone (close to desktop activity, mono-thread) and ffsb (allows to
> run benchs
> in a multi-thread activity like a server does, different blocks
> sizes...).
>
> We compare ext3 and ext4 (with extents, w/ and w/o del alloc...)...
>
> We will publish the results on bullopensource.org
>

> jean-pierre

I also have a benchmark that stresses a heavy synchronous write workload
that I can run.

ric

2007-03-28 14:20:54

by Jose R. Santos

Jean-Pierre Dion wrote:
> Hi Jose,
>
> thank you for the feedback.
>
> We took your remarks into account and we are doing some perfs with
> iozone (close to desktop activity, mono-thread) and ffsb (allows to run
> benchs
> in a multi-thread activity like a server does, different blocks sizes...).
>
> We compare ext3 and ext4 (with extents, w/ and w/o del alloc...)...
>
> We will publish the results on bullopensource.org

Hi Jean-Pierre,

While it may be to late for the purposes of your OLS paper, one thing
that doesn't seem to be getting much attention is the performance of a
file system while doing many meta-data operations or throughput testing
during heavy journal log activity. I believe that IOzone is very
limited in testing this and FFSB isn't much better at it either.
Eventually, I plan to add support in FFSB to create workload profile
were one can select a weight balance of these types of operations.

Is this something that you are already doing for this round of testing?

-JRS

2007-03-30 08:43:15

by Johann Lombardi

On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 09:20:50AM -0500, Jose R. Santos wrote:
> While it may be to late for the purposes of your OLS paper, one thing
> that doesn't seem to be getting much attention is the performance of a
> file system while doing many meta-data operations or throughput testing
> during heavy journal log activity.

Back in 2005, Alex sent a patch to monitor journal activity through procfs:
http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=113538565128617&w=2

We have been using this patch for more than 1 year and it is very useful
for investigating performance issues.
Does anybody know why this patch hasn't found its way into the mainline?
Maybe it could be merged in jbd2?

Johann

2007-03-30 18:50:24

by Andreas Dilger

On Mar 30, 2007 10:43 +0200, Johann Lombardi wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 28, 2007 at 09:20:50AM -0500, Jose R. Santos wrote:
> > While it may be to late for the purposes of your OLS paper, one thing
> > that doesn't seem to be getting much attention is the performance of a
> > file system while doing many meta-data operations or throughput testing
> > during heavy journal log activity.
>
> Back in 2005, Alex sent a patch to monitor journal activity through procfs:
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-ext4&m=113538565128617&w=2
>
> We have been using this patch for more than 1 year and it is very useful
> for investigating performance issues.
> Does anybody know why this patch hasn't found its way into the mainline?
> Maybe it could be merged in jbd2?

Yes, we use this functionality failry often, so having it in jbd2 would
be quite useful.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer

2007-04-02 14:55:19

by Jean-Pierre Dion

Hi Ric,

that may be useful. Checking with the team here and tell you.

Thanks.

jean-pierre

Ric Wheeler wrote:

> Jean-Pierre Dion wrote:
>> Hi Jose,
>>
>> thank you for the feedback.
>>
>> We took your remarks into account and we are doing some perfs with
>> iozone (close to desktop activity, mono-thread) and ffsb (allows to
>> run benchs
>> in a multi-thread activity like a server does, different blocks
>> sizes...).
>>
>> We compare ext3 and ext4 (with extents, w/ and w/o del alloc...)...
>>
>> We will publish the results on bullopensource.org
>>

>> jean-pierre
>>
> I also have a benchmark that stresses a heavy synchronous write
> workload that I can run.
>
> ric

2007-04-02 14:56:08

by Jean-Pierre Dion

Hi Jose,

I have to check with the team here.
Will tell you.

Thanks.

jean-pierre

Jose R. Santos wrote:
> Jean-Pierre Dion wrote:
>> Hi Jose,
>>
>> thank you for the feedback.
>>
>> We took your remarks into account and we are doing some perfs with
>> iozone (close to desktop activity, mono-thread) and ffsb (allows to
>> run benchs
>> in a multi-thread activity like a server does, different blocks
>> sizes...).
>>
>> We compare ext3 and ext4 (with extents, w/ and w/o del alloc...)...
>>
>> We will publish the results on bullopensource.org
>>

> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>
> While it may be to late for the purposes of your OLS paper, one thing
> that doesn't seem to be getting much attention is the performance of a
> file system while doing many meta-data operations or throughput
> testing during heavy journal log activity. I believe that IOzone is
> very limited in testing this and FFSB isn't much better at it either.
> Eventually, I plan to add support in FFSB to create workload profile
> were one can select a weight balance of these types of operations.
>
> Is this something that you are already doing for this round of testing?
>
> -JRS

2007-04-04 19:22:06

by Andreas Dilger

On Apr 04, 2007 19:06 +0200, Cordenner jean noel wrote:
> here is the first results of the round:
> http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/20070404/

Jean Noel,
thank you for the test results. It is always nice to see that ext4 is
doing so well compared to ext3 and XFS.

Ming Ming,
it should be possible to just include the mballoc+delalloc patches that
Jean Noel used into the upstream ext4 patch series. When Alex or Christoph
get a chance to do the VFS delalloc rewrite we can move to that new patch,
but until then it seems pointless to not include this functionality which
improves the performance so much.

Also, if we include those patches the mballoc and delalloc features (along
with extents) should be enabled by default if INCOMPAT_EXTENTS is in the
superblock unless:
- "noextents", "nomballoc", or "nodelalloc" mount options are given
- delalloc needs to be disabled if blocksize != PAGE_SIZE

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer
Cluster File Systems, Inc.

2007-04-04 21:18:24

by Mingming Cao

On Wed, 2007-04-04 at 13:21 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> On Apr 04, 2007 19:06 +0200, Cordenner jean noel wrote:
> > here is the first results of the round:
> > http://www.bullopensource.org/ext4/20070404/
>
> Jean Noel,
> thank you for the test results. It is always nice to see that ext4 is
> doing so well compared to ext3 and XFS.
>
> Ming Ming,
> it should be possible to just include the mballoc+delalloc patches that
> Jean Noel used into the upstream ext4 patch series. When Alex or Christoph
> get a chance to do the VFS delalloc rewrite we can move to that new patch,
> but until then it seems pointless to not include this functionality which
> improves the performance so much.
>
>From the bull website it said the test is based on 2.6.21-rc4 kernel +
delalloc patch. I don't think that includes the mballoc patch.

> Also, if we include those patches the mballoc and delalloc features (along
> with extents) should be enabled by default if INCOMPAT_EXTENTS is in the
> superblock unless:
> - "noextents", "nomballoc", or "nodelalloc" mount options are given

I just added noextents and nodelalloc mount options in the 2.6.21-rc5
version ext4 patch queue.

But we should keep delalloc with nomballoc. The current delalloc patch
in ext4 tree plays well without mballoc. We still could do multiple
block allocations with delayed allocation, though not as smart as Alex's
mballoc.

> - delalloc needs to be disabled if blocksize != PAGE_SIZE

I believe the current ext4 delalloc code turns off delalloc in this case
already.

> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger
> Principal Software Engineer
> Cluster File Systems, Inc.
>
> -

by Mingming Cao

Subject: ext4 patch queue update

Ted,

I Just rebased the ext4 patch queue to 2.6.21-rc5,

# Added Reserve high 32 bit for 64 bit inode version
i_version_hi.patch

# Add mount option to turn off extents
ext4_noextent_mount_opt.patch

# Add mount option to turn off delayed allocation
ext4_nodelalloc_mount_opt.patch

And move nanosecond patch before the delayed allocation patches.

fsx test passed on ppc64,x86 and x86_64.
http://repo.or.cz/w/ext4-patch-queue.git

# Rebased the patches to 2.6.21-rc4

# New patch to fix whitespace before applying new patches
whitespace.patch

# Replaced truncated beginning comments
extent-overlap-bugfix

persistent_allocation_1_ioctl_and_unitialized_extents

# Fixed an endian error
persistent_allocation_2_support_for_writing_to_unitialized_extent

# updated to latest version
nanosecond_timestamps.patch

# i_verion
# Reserve high 32 bit for 64 bit inode version
# Missing the full inode version patch
i_version_hi.patch

# Add mount option to turn off extents
ext4_noextent_mount_opt.patch

# Unstable patches
# Note: still lots of outstanding comments from linux-ext4 list, 12/2006
# Missing signed-off-by:
booked-page-flag.patch

# Missing signed-off-by:
ext4-block-reservation.patch

# fixed a bunch of endianness errors reported by sparse
# Needs a signed-off-by from Alex, then can add shaggy's
ext4-delayed-allocation.patch

ext4-delalloc-extents-48bit.patch