2007-07-24 16:09:40

by Jose R. Santos

Subject: New e2fsprog doc on the ext4 wiki page.

Hi folks

As discussed in the conference call, we are going to create a new doc
on the ext4 wiki dedicated to track the development of some of the
features needed in e2fsprogs. The page will consist of mostly changes
needed in order to keep e2fsprogs up to date with mainline ext4 kernel
code.

I don't plan to add bug fixes, cleanup or trivial changes to the page
as this would make it hard to keep the page up to date. The link to
the page will be:

http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php?title=E2fsprogs_features_and_patches&action=edit

Comments on what you would like to see of this page or in the initial
list of features I have gather below are welcome.

Undo I/O manager:
-Patches submited to the mailing list by Aneesh Kumar
-To be merged after 1.40
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/2826

64bit blk Support:
- Patches submited to the mailing list by Valerie Clement
- Requires different binaries for doing 64bit support.
- Unified binaries will most likely require API/ABI changes.
- 64bit blk support requires 64bit binaries. Breaks on PPC64
32bit user-space env.
- Ted T'so suggests a different approach:
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/2845
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/2125

Uninitialized block groups:
- Girish Shilamkar recently submited new patch to the mailing list
- Kernel patches not in mainline yet. What's the hold up here?
- No archive link yet.

i_version support:
- Kernel patches not in mainline yet. Ongoing discussions.
- Patches submitted?

ext4migrate:
- Patches submited to the mailing list by Aneesh Kumar
http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/1395

Extents support:
- Patches submitted?

Nano second support:
- Patches submitted?

Greater than 32000 subdir support:
- Girish Shilamkar recently submited new patch to the mailing list
- No archive link yet.

-JRS

2007-07-24 16:19:05

by Aneesh Kumar K.V

Subject: Re: New e2fsprog doc on the ext4 wiki page.

Jose R. Santos wrote:
> Hi folks
>

> ext4migrate:
> - Patches submited to the mailing list by Aneesh Kumar
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/1395

I guess what we are looking at here is

a) ext3 -> ext4 conversion would be done via option for defrag. This
conversion is now done via a ioctl. This is the suggested method for
defragmenting an ext3 inode (convert to ext4 and then defrag).

b) small inode to large inode conversion is done via tune2fs -I < new_inode_size>
I have patches for this ready. Will be sending them in a day or two.

So the ext4migrate command may not be really needed.

-aneesh

2007-07-24 16:34:56

by Andreas Dilger

On Jul 24, 2007 21:48 +0530, Aneesh Kumar K.V wrote:
> Jose R. Santos wrote:
> >ext4migrate:
> >- Patches submited to the mailing list by Aneesh Kumar
> >http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/1395
>
> I guess what we are looking at here is
>
> a) ext3 -> ext4 conversion would be done via option for defrag. This
> conversion is now done via a ioctl. This is the suggested method for
> defragmenting an ext3 inode (convert to ext4 and then defrag).
>
> b) small inode to large inode conversion is done via tune2fs -I <
> new_inode_size>
> I have patches for this ready. Will be sending them in a day or two.
>
> So the ext4migrate command may not be really needed.

Ah, excellent news. Having a single tool (tune2fs) to manage configuration
changes is much nicer. Having the generic undo manager to handle these
kind of changes will allow us to do all kind of changes in the future.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer

2007-07-24 16:37:07

by Jose R. Santos

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:48:58 +0530
"Aneesh Kumar K.V" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Jose R. Santos wrote:
> > Hi folks
> >

> > ext4migrate:
> > - Patches submited to the mailing list by Aneesh Kumar
> > http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/1395
> >

> I guess what we are looking at here is
>
> a) ext3 -> ext4 conversion would be done via option for defrag. This
> conversion is now done via a ioctl. This is the suggested method for
> defragmenting an ext3 inode (convert to ext4 and then defrag).
>
> b) small inode to large inode conversion is done via tune2fs -I <
> new_inode_size> I have patches for this ready. Will be sending them
> in a day or two.
>
> So the ext4migrate command may not be really needed.
>

> -aneesh

I will remove this item then and add the tune2fs changes.

Is the defrag code going to be part of e2fsprogs or is this going to be
a standalone app?

-JRS

2007-07-24 17:01:49

by Aneesh Kumar K.V

Jose R. Santos wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:48:58 +0530
> "Aneesh Kumar K.V" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> Jose R. Santos wrote:
>>> Hi folks
>>>

>>> ext4migrate:
>>> - Patches submited to the mailing list by Aneesh Kumar
>>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/1395
>>>

>> I guess what we are looking at here is
>>
>> a) ext3 -> ext4 conversion would be done via option for defrag. This
>> conversion is now done via a ioctl. This is the suggested method for
>> defragmenting an ext3 inode (convert to ext4 and then defrag).
>>
>> b) small inode to large inode conversion is done via tune2fs -I <
>> new_inode_size> I have patches for this ready. Will be sending them
>> in a day or two.
>>
>> So the ext4migrate command may not be really needed.
>>

>> -aneesh
>
> I will remove this item then and add the tune2fs changes.
>
> Is the defrag code going to be part of e2fsprogs or is this going to be
> a standalone app?

As per the last version posted

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.file-systems.ext4/2290

There is a e4defrag command.

-aneesh

2007-07-25 14:00:22

by Amit K. Arora

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 11:07:41AM -0500, Jose R. Santos wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> As discussed in the conference call, we are going to create a new doc
> on the ext4 wiki dedicated to track the development of some of the
> features needed in e2fsprogs. The page will consist of mostly changes
> needed in order to keep e2fsprogs up to date with mainline ext4 kernel
> code.
>
> I don't plan to add bug fixes, cleanup or trivial changes to the page
> as this would make it hard to keep the page up to date. The link to
> the page will be:
>
> http://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php?title=E2fsprogs_features_and_patches&action=edit
>
> Comments on what you would like to see of this page or in the initial
> list of features I have gather below are welcome.
:
:
> Extents support:
> - Patches submitted?

Uninitialized extents:
We will need uninitialized extents support for preallocated blocks
(allocated by fallocate()) too.
I can send a patch for this, but I don't think extents support is there
in 1.40.2 release. Is there a place where I can find the latest extents
support patch on top of 1.40 ? I can prepare patch for uninitialized
extents on top of it.

Amit Arora