2015-10-19 02:57:30

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: xfstests ext4/304 failing due to donor inode's i_size == 0

Hi Dmitry,

I was investigating why ext4/304 is failing, and it's due to
defrag-fuzzer returning an error:

defrag-fuzzer: (groupid=0, jobs=1): err=22 (file:ioengines.c:309, func=td_io_que
ue, error=Invalid argument): pid=3207: Sun Oct 18 19:43:57 2015

After instrumenting the kernel, it appears that this is due to donor
inode's i_size being set to 0.

Can you reproduce this faiure? And if it's working for you, what
version of fio are you using? I normally use fio 2.1.3, since newer
versions of fio have caused test regressions that appear to be caused
by fio bugs. I tried fio 2.1.14, it was also failing. I could try
using 2.2.x versions of fio, but as I recall, that set of versions was
were I started running into other test failures caused by fio bugs.
(When I asked Dave Chinner about this a while back, he tod me he was
using 2.1.3 because he had run into regressions caused by vio, and
I've been sticking with fio 2.1.3 for quite a while now.)

Thanks,

- Ted

2015-10-20 14:44:10

by Dmitry Monakhov

Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi Dmitry,
>
> I was investigating why ext4/304 is failing, and it's due to
> defrag-fuzzer returning an error:
Yep. You are right. I have out of tree patch which fix that. I'll send it
to xfstests-dev list.

Attachments:
signature.asc (472.00 B)
ext4-304-fix.patch (952.00 B)

by Theodore Ts'o

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 05:44:03PM +0300, Dmitry Monakhov wrote:
> Theodore Ts'o <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Hi Dmitry,
> >
> > I was investigating why ext4/304 is failing, and it's due to
> > defrag-fuzzer returning an error:
> Yep. You are right. I have out of tree patch which fix that. I'll send it
> to xfstests-dev list.

I tried the patch you sent, but ext4/304 is still failing. At the end
of 304.full:

fio: file hash not empty on exit

- Ted