2010-04-22 19:43:32

by Evgeniy Ivanov

Subject: Question about e2fsck and HTree

Hello,

I have a question about ext2/ext3.

As I understand directory indexing is compatible feature, currently my
implementations doesn't support HTree.
I do some things (make kernel and libs) with FS and check it with
e2fsck: it creates index (everything else is ok, exit status is 1).
Then I do same things with FS and check again:

HTree directory inode 23316 has an invalid root node.

Is it OK for implementation without directory indexing?

--
Evgeniy Ivanov

2010-04-24 00:45:50

by Theodore Ts'o

Subject: Re: Question about e2fsck and HTree

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:43:30PM +0400, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question about ext2/ext3.
>
> As I understand directory indexing is compatible feature, currently my
> implementations doesn't support HTree.
> I do some things (make kernel and libs) with FS and check it with
> e2fsck: it creates index (everything else is ok, exit status is 1).
> Then I do same things with FS and check again:
>
> HTree directory inode 23316 has an invalid root node.
>
> Is it OK for implementation without directory indexing?

If your implementation of extN don't support HTree, then it's
important that when you modify a filesystem you clear the inode's
EXT2_INDEX_FL flag. Then the right thing will happen....

- Ted

2010-04-25 22:10:09

by Evgeniy Ivanov

On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 4:45 AM, <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 11:43:30PM +0400, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question about ext2/ext3.
>>
>> As I understand directory indexing is compatible feature, currently my
>> implementations doesn't support HTree.
>> I do some things (make kernel and libs) with FS and check it with
>> e2fsck: it creates index (everything else is ok, exit status is 1).
>> Then I do same things with FS and check again:
>>
>> HTree directory inode 23316 has an invalid root node.
>>
>> Is it OK for implementation without directory indexing?
>
> If your implementation of extN don't support HTree, then it's
> important that when you modify a filesystem you clear the inode's
> EXT2_INDEX_FL flag. ? Then the right thing will happen....

Thank you very much again :)

--
Evgeniy Ivanov

2010-04-25 22:38:58

by Theodore Ts'o

On Apr 25, 2010, at 6:10 PM, Evgeniy Ivanov wrote:

>> If your implementation of extN don't support HTree, then it's
>> important that when you modify a filesystem you clear the inode's
>> EXT2_INDEX_FL flag. Then the right thing will happen....
>
> Thank you very much again :)

Just to be clear, since I typo'ed the above -- when you modify a _directory_ you must clear the directory's EXT2_INDEX_FL flag.

Regards,

-- Ted