2002-08-31 06:26:54

by Kedar Sovani

Subject: padding the fh

hi,
I have a problem. Does the linux nfs client follow the rule that the file handle it recieves is opaque to it(the client).?
The problem that i have is, i am sitting at the server, and trying to pad the file handle being sent back by the exp_rootfh function in linux kernel 2.4.18-3. When i do sich a thing, i recevie one more MOUNt request by the client,but this is a MOUNTv2 request. Later, the client sends the GETATTR, FSTAT & FSINFO commands(this is sent using the NFsv3 protocol), and sooon later, it sends the same commands with NFSv2.
Can anyone explain this behavior to me. Why might this be happening. I want to use a padded version of the file handle for the rest of the server activities. How do i go abt it ?

rgds,
Kedar.

2002-09-03 02:32:28

by NeilBrown

Subject: Re: padding the fh

On Saturday August 31, [email protected] wrote:
> hi,
> I have a problem. Does the linux nfs client follow the rule that the file handle it recieves is opaque to it(the client).?
> The problem that i have is, i am sitting at the server, and
trying to pad the file handle being sent back by the exp_rootfh
function in linux kernel 2.4.18-3. When i do sich a thing, i recevie
one more MOUNt request by the client,but this is a MOUNTv2
request. Later, the client sends the GETATTR, FSTAT & FSINFO
commands(this is sent using the NFsv3 protocol), and sooon later, it
sends the same commands with NFSv2.
> Can anyone explain this behavior to me. Why might this be
happening. I want to use a padded version of the file handle for the
rest of the server activities. How do i go abt it ?

Maybe if you tried explaining why you want to pad the filehandle... I
cannot see any reason to pad it, so I cannot picture what you are
actually doing, so I cannot answer why it doesn't work.

NeilBrown