2005-02-25 01:57:27

by Dan Stromberg

Subject: FC3 <-> Solaris 10, NFSv4 interop?

Has anyone got NFSv4 working from an FC3 NFS server to a Solaris 10 NFS
client?

foobar-root /) mount seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Not owner
foobar-root /) mount -o vers=3 seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
foobar-root /)

Thanks!

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-02-25 16:01:09

by Vincent Roqueta

Subject: Re: FC3 <-> Solaris 10, NFSv4 interop?

Le vendredi 25 F=E9vrier 2005 02:57, Dan Stromberg a =E9crit=A0:
> Has anyone got NFSv4 working from an FC3 NFS server to a Solaris 10 NFS
> client?
>
> foobar-root /) mount seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Not owner
> foobar-root /) mount -o vers=3D3 seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> foobar-root /)

Yes. interop works fine.

Vincent

we have no SECINFO support in the NFSv4 server. therefore, with kerberos,=
you=20
may have problems mounting. we will address this next week at connectatho=
n...

-->Andy

vincent.roqueta=40ext.bull.net said:
> Le vendredi 25 F=E9vrier 2005 02:57, Dan Stromberg a =E9crit=A0:
> Has anyone got NFSv4 working from an FC3 NFS server to a Solaris 10 NFS=

> client? >
> foobar-root /) mount seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Not owner
> foobar-root /) mount -o vers=3D3 seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> foobar-root /)
> Yes. interop works fine.
> Vincent=20

by Dan Stromberg

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 17:06 +0100, Vincent Roqueta wrote:
> Le vendredi 25 F?vrier 2005 02:57, Dan Stromberg a ?crit :
> > Has anyone got NFSv4 working from an FC3 NFS server to a Solaris 10 NFS
> > client?
> >
> > foobar-root /) mount seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> > nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Not owner
> > foobar-root /) mount -o vers=3 seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> > foobar-root /)
>
> Yes. interop works fine.

Cool!

Unfortunately though, I don't know the first thing about setting up
NFSv4. I gather on the Solaris side, an NFSv4 domain is needed, and
Solaris has a "take a guess at a good NFSv4 domain name" option.

So:

1) How do I define the NFSv4 domain on FC3?

2) Is there a "take a guess" option on FC3?

3) Is there anything else I need to set up to get NFSv4 working?

I perhaps should point out that the systems in question are using NIS,
not kerberos.

Thanks!

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-02-25 18:46:15

by J. Bruce Fields

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:13:45AM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 17:06 +0100, Vincent Roqueta wrote:
> > Le vendredi 25 F=E9vrier 2005 02:57, Dan Stromberg a =E9crit :
> > > Has anyone got NFSv4 working from an FC3 NFS server to a Solaris 10=
NFS
> > > client?
> > >
> > > foobar-root /) mount seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> > > nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Not owner
> > > foobar-root /) mount -o vers=3D3 seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> > > foobar-root /)
> >=20
> > Yes. interop works fine.
>=20
> Cool!
>=20
> Unfortunately though, I don't know the first thing about setting up
> NFSv4. I gather on the Solaris side, an NFSv4 domain is needed, and
> Solaris has a "take a guess at a good NFSv4 domain name" option.

For the Linux side, look through the documentation at

http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/

and then let us know if you're still having problems. Corrections to
the documentation are also welcomed.--b.

by Spencer Shepler

On Fri, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 17:06 +0100, Vincent Roqueta wrote:
> > Le vendredi 25 F=E9vrier 2005 02:57, Dan Stromberg a =E9crit :
> > > Has anyone got NFSv4 working from an FC3 NFS server to a Solaris 10=
NFS
> > > client?
> > >
> > > foobar-root /) mount seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> > > nfs mount: mount: /mnt: Not owner
> > > foobar-root /) mount -o vers=3D3 seki.nac.uci.edu:/sdb1 /mnt
> > > foobar-root /)
> >=20
> > Yes. interop works fine.
>=20
> Cool!
>=20
> Unfortunately though, I don't know the first thing about setting up
> NFSv4. I gather on the Solaris side, an NFSv4 domain is needed, and
> Solaris has a "take a guess at a good NFSv4 domain name" option.
>=20
> So:
>=20
> 1) How do I define the NFSv4 domain on FC3?
>=20
> 2) Is there a "take a guess" option on FC3?
>=20
> 3) Is there anything else I need to set up to get NFSv4 working?
>=20
> I perhaps should point out that the systems in question are using NIS,
> not kerberos.

The Solaris client will choose the DNS domain (if DNS is being used for
host resolution). It will use the NIS domain if DNS is not being=20
used. These can be overridden by setting the NFSMAPID_DOMAIN value
in /etc/default/nfs on Solaris.

The Soalris client will also use a DNS TXT RR record to obtain
the NFSv4 domain but at this point Solaris is the only platform
that does this (that I know of).

Spencer

by Dan Stromberg

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 13:46 -0500, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 10:13:45AM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 17:06 +0100, Vincent Roqueta wrote:
> > > Le vendredi 25 F?vrier 2005 02:57, Dan Stromberg a ?crit :

> > > Yes. interop works fine.
> >
> > Cool!
> >
> > Unfortunately though, I don't know the first thing about setting up
> > NFSv4. I gather on the Solaris side, an NFSv4 domain is needed, and
> > Solaris has a "take a guess at a good NFSv4 domain name" option.
>
> For the Linux side, look through the documentation at
>
> http://www.citi.umich.edu/projects/nfsv4/linux/
>
> and then let us know if you're still having problems. Corrections to
> the documentation are also welcomed.--b.

Does that doc require kerberos?

How hard would it be to set up one of the following on FC3 and Solaris
10?

LIPKEY (based on SPKM-3)
SPKM-3

If we just continue using AUTH_UNIX with NFSv4, are we still relying on
reserved ports?

Thanks!

Attachments:
signature.asc (189.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2005-02-26 01:00:19

by Trond Myklebust

fr den 25.02.2005 Klokka 16:16 (-0800) skreiv Dan Stromberg:

> How hard would it be to set up one of the following on FC3 and Solaris
> 10?
>
> LIPKEY (based on SPKM-3)
> SPKM-3

Very hard. They don't support it... ;-)

> If we just continue using AUTH_UNIX with NFSv4, are we still relying on
> reserved ports?

Yes.

Cheers,
Trond