2003-07-06 00:20:25

by seth vidal

Subject: Re: ALERT - GroupShield ticket number OA2317_1057450427_CVO-EXCHANGE _1 was generated

On Sat, 2003-07-05 at 20:13, GroupShield for Exchange (CVO-EXCHANGE)
wrote:
> Action Taken:
> The attachment was deleted from the message and replaced with a text file
> informing the recipient of the action taken.
>
> To:
> [email protected] <[email protected]>
>
> From:
> [email protected] <[email protected]>

ok, come on - maybe we should consider just making non-subscribers posts
be held for approval. Its very easy to do in mailman and sheesh - we've
been getting about 5 or so of these Deleted action virus crap every day.

-sv

by Erez Zadok

In message <1057450819.27203.1.camel@binkley>, seth vidal writes:

> ok, come on - maybe we should consider just making non-subscribers posts
> be held for approval. Its very easy to do in mailman and sheesh - we've
> been getting about 5 or so of these Deleted action virus crap every day.
>
> -sv

Thank you, Seth! Finally someone with the right attitude. A few weeks ago
when the anti-spam debate on this list came on yet again, several people
said that they'd rather keep the list open and that people should just
configure their own anti-spam techniques (i.e., throw the ball to the poor
subscribers). I think that if someone is novice enough not to know how to
subscribe to a list for the purpose of sending an important question, then
they most definitely don't know how to setup and configure anti-spam. And
if the concern is about inconveniencing novice users who don't want to
subscribe to this list, then from what I've seen, novice users ask novice
questions that are best answered in the FAQ, archives, etc.

Personally, I strongly support closing this list off to non-subscribers.
This way you save hassles to many subscribers, and instead asking the
maintainers to filter held posts (or configure more specialized anti-spam
methods FOR THIS LIST -- a one time effort). I maintain several
non-open-to-all Mailman-based lists with over 10k subscribers in total, and
I have done just that (BTW, integrated anti-spam methods are especially
convenient w/ Mailman 2.1).

Cheers,
Erez.

by Paul Smith

Might I suggest someone block this user
([email protected])? That's also quite trivial to do with
Mailman, and seems the simplest solution for this particular problem.

by Erez Zadok

In message <[email protected]>, "Paul Smith" writes:
> Might I suggest someone block this user
> ([email protected])? That's also quite trivial to do with
> Mailman, and seems the simplest solution for this particular problem.

Good suggestion, but this simple solution only pospones the inevitable.
Eventaully this list will get hit by more auto-bounces such as this
roguewave.com user. And this doesn't help filtering the direct spammers and
all the viruses this list gets.

So the list maintainers can go on now and block this user, then they may do
the same for the next user, and the next one, and the next one. It'll
become quickly obvious that the maintainers' lives will be much easier if
they block all non-subscribers; that will also block all of the bogus/fake
emails spammers use.

Erez.

by Ashutosh Rajekar

I agree. IIRC, one cannot post to the FreeBSD mailing lists without
subscription. Enabling this list with the same feature should reduce the
spam and virus laden emails a lot.

-ASR
http://www3.sympatico.ca/arajekar
"...you might as well skip the Xmas celebration completely, and instead
sit in front of your linux computer playing with the
all-new-and-improved linux kernel version."
(By Linus Torvalds)

On Sat, 5 Jul 2003, Erez Zadok wrote:

> In message <[email protected]>, "Paul Smith" writes:
> > Might I suggest someone block this user
> > ([email protected])? That's also quite trivial to do with
> > Mailman, and seems the simplest solution for this particular problem.
>
> Good suggestion, but this simple solution only pospones the inevitable.
> Eventaully this list will get hit by more auto-bounces such as this
> roguewave.com user. And this doesn't help filtering the direct spammers and
> all the viruses this list gets.
>
> So the list maintainers can go on now and block this user, then they may do
> the same for the next user, and the next one, and the next one. It'll
> become quickly obvious that the maintainers' lives will be much easier if
> they block all non-subscribers; that will also block all of the bogus/fake
> emails spammers use.
>
> Erez.

by Dan Kegel

Ashutosh Rajekar wrote:
> I agree. IIRC, one cannot post to the FreeBSD mailing lists without
> subscription. Enabling this list with the same feature should reduce the
> spam and virus laden emails a lot.

+1

I agree. Time to close the list to non-subscribers.
The archives can remain open, that's no problem.
- Dan

by H. J. Lu

On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:15:12AM -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Ashutosh Rajekar wrote:
> >I agree. IIRC, one cannot post to the FreeBSD mailing lists without
> >subscription. Enabling this list with the same feature should reduce the
> >spam and virus laden emails a lot.
>
> +1
>
> I agree. Time to close the list to non-subscribers.
> The archives can remain open, that's no problem.

If there are no major objections by the end of this week, I will
close the list to non-subscribers.

H.J.

by Philippe Gramoullé

Hello,

Well last time there was a poll on that topic, i'd voted to close the list to
non-subscribers but Trond pointed out the problem of bug reports which i had overlooked
and making this change would probably make few (but always important) bug reports get lost.

I think that we should keep the list opened to non-subscribers ( and fine
tune my spam traps/ white lists / Black lists BTW :)

Thanks,

Philippe

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 16:56, Philippe Gramoull? wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Well last time there was a poll on that topic, i'd voted to close the list to
> non-subscribers but Trond pointed out the problem of bug reports which i had overlooked
> and making this change would probably make few (but always important) bug reports get lost.
>
> I think that we should keep the list opened to non-subscribers ( and fine
> tune my spam traps/ white lists / Black lists BTW :)

It's really not this hard.
all you do is turn on non-subscriber posts require approval in mailman.

it doesn't drop non-subscriber posts but it will send the mailing list
admin a message saying some messages need to get
checked/approvated/discarded.

-sv

by Erez Zadok

In message <[email protected]>, Philippe =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Gramoull=E9?= writes:

> Hello,
>
> Well last time there was a poll on that topic, i'd voted to close the list to
> non-subscribers but Trond pointed out the problem of bug reports which i had overlooked
> and making this change would probably make few (but always important) bug reports get lost.
>
> I think that we should keep the list opened to non-subscribers ( and fine
> tune my spam traps/ white lists / Black lists BTW :)

With Mailman 2.1, there are ways to fwd specific mails to specific people,
so you could "trap" these bug reports and pass them on to someone who could
decide to delete the email or fwd it to the list. That's how I handle true
bug reports to my list. It's not the cleanest way, but it works for the
one-in-many real messages that are sent to my lists.

Erez.

by Philippe Gramoullé

Hello Seth,

On 07 Jul 2003 17:08:32 -0400
seth vidal <[email protected]> wrote:

| > I think that we should keep the list opened to non-subscribers ( and fine
| > tune my spam traps/ white lists / Black lists BTW :)
| >

| It's really not this hard.
| all you do is turn on non-subscriber posts require approval in mailman.

Yes, i'm aware of this feature.

| it doesn't drop non-subscriber posts but it will send the mailing list
| admin a message saying some messages need to get
| checked/approvated/discarded.

Fine with me ;o) as long as there are people out there willing to do the moderation.

Thanks,

Philippe

by Steven N. Hirsch

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, H. J. Lu wrote:

> If there are no major objections by the end of this week, I will
> close the list to non-subscribers.
>

> H.J.

Please do.

Steve