2005-03-29 20:58:09

by Chris Penney

Subject: SMP, NFS, and 2.6

I've heard from some (via google searchs) that there are issues with
NFS + SMP when using the 2.6 kernel. Assuming I'm using 2.6.11.5 w/
the NFS-ALL patches applied should I be concerned about running SMP
(dual cpu pentium 4 doing pretty much only NFSv3 TCP, but looking
toward NFSv4)?

Assuming it's ok to use SMP on a heavy use NFS server, should I enable
or disable hyperthreading? I'd assume that for NFS hyperthreading
would be good, but that's only a guess.

Thanks,

Chris

by Neil Horman

Subject: Re: SMP, NFS, and 2.6

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:58:02PM -0500, Chris Penney wrote:
> I've heard from some (via google searchs) that there are issues with
> NFS + SMP when using the 2.6 kernel. Assuming I'm using 2.6.11.5 w/
> the NFS-ALL patches applied should I be concerned about running SMP
> (dual cpu pentium 4 doing pretty much only NFSv3 TCP, but looking
> toward NFSv4)?
>
> Assuming it's ok to use SMP on a heavy use NFS server, should I enable
> or disable hyperthreading? I'd assume that for NFS hyperthreading
> would be good, but that's only a guess.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris

Are you referring to the dcache problems with XFS? I think it was only a
problem when the NFS server was exporting an XFS file system. I also haven't
checked in some time, but I believe those problems have since been fixed.

Neil

*Neil Horman
*Software Engineer
*Red Hat, Inc.
*[email protected]
*gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1
*http://pgp.mit.edu

by Chris Penney

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:13:24 -0500, Neil Horman <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:58:02PM -0500, Chris Penney wrote:
> > I've heard from some (via google searchs) that there are issues with
> > NFS + SMP when using the 2.6 kernel. Assuming I'm using 2.6.11.5 w/
> > the NFS-ALL patches applied should I be concerned about running SMP
> > (dual cpu pentium 4 doing pretty much only NFSv3 TCP, but looking
> > toward NFSv4)?
> >
> > Assuming it's ok to use SMP on a heavy use NFS server, should I enable
> > or disable hyperthreading? I'd assume that for NFS hyperthreading
> > would be good, but that's only a guess.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Chris
> >
> Are you referring to the dcache problems with XFS? I think it was only a
> problem when the NFS server was exporting an XFS file system. I also haven't
> checked in some time, but I believe those problems have since been fixed.
>
> Neil

Yes, most of what I read was regarding XFS. I was not sure if there
were any issues outside of that (I'm using JFS right now).

As far as HyperThreading my testing so far has shown that under heavy
loads enabling HyperThreading on a dual-cpu P4 box seems to be a good
thing. I would grab 30s of packets with ethereal and look at the NFS
stats and the responce time on writes/commits (which we see a fair bit
of) were at least 33% faster if not more. I'm not sure if that's an
accurate way to measure though -- I know enough to be dangerous, but
I'm not an expert.

Chris

by Neil Horman

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:40:03AM -0500, Chris Penney wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:13:24 -0500, Neil Horman <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 03:58:02PM -0500, Chris Penney wrote:
> > > I've heard from some (via google searchs) that there are issues with
> > > NFS + SMP when using the 2.6 kernel. Assuming I'm using 2.6.11.5 w/
> > > the NFS-ALL patches applied should I be concerned about running SMP
> > > (dual cpu pentium 4 doing pretty much only NFSv3 TCP, but looking
> > > toward NFSv4)?
> > >
> > > Assuming it's ok to use SMP on a heavy use NFS server, should I enable
> > > or disable hyperthreading? I'd assume that for NFS hyperthreading
> > > would be good, but that's only a guess.
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > >
> > > Chris
> > >
> > Are you referring to the dcache problems with XFS? I think it was only a
> > problem when the NFS server was exporting an XFS file system. I also haven't
> > checked in some time, but I believe those problems have since been fixed.
> >
> > Neil
>
> Yes, most of what I read was regarding XFS. I was not sure if there
> were any issues outside of that (I'm using JFS right now).

None that I'm aware of, but my knoweldge is far from exhaustive :)

> As far as HyperThreading my testing so far has shown that under heavy
> loads enabling HyperThreading on a dual-cpu P4 box seems to be a good
> thing. I would grab 30s of packets with ethereal and look at the NFS
> stats and the responce time on writes/commits (which we see a fair bit
> of) were at least 33% faster if not more. I'm not sure if that's an
> accurate way to measure though -- I know enough to be dangerous, but
> I'm not an expert.

Neither am I :). You testing seems reasonable to me (at least for what you are
trying to measure currently). IIRC the Linux scheduler is built to take
advantage of the shared resources available on hyperthreaded processors and
schedules accordingly. In general I think its a good idea to turn on. I
believe there are some pessimal workloads that can cause worse performance with
HT on, than with HT off, but I believe you really have to work hard to produce
those.

Regards
Neil

> Chris

*Neil Horman
*Software Engineer
*Red Hat, Inc.
*[email protected]
*gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1
*http://pgp.mit.edu

by Anders Saaby

Hi,

I don't know if you originally referred to some of my earlier posts here and
on LKML regarding instability on 2.6 (2.6.8.1) with SMP...

There where, from my experience two separate problems:

The dcache problems which was fixed in 2.6.10.

One or more issues producing Oops's on SMP machines. I am not sure if they
where NFS bound (actually I dont think they where, but I only saw them on one
of our high-load NFS servers). I found out that running the system in UP mode
made the server stable.

Back when I had the problems, I tested on 2.6.8.1 and haven't dared to try SMP
since, so my knowledge is a bit ageing. But if you decide you are up for it,
I would be very interested in the results! ....SMP would be nice on those
XEON boxes.

//Saaby

On Thursday 31 March 2005 15:17, Neil Horman wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 11:40:03AM -0500, Chris Penney wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 16:13:24 -0500, Neil Horman <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > > Are you referring to the dcache problems with XFS? I think it was only
> > > a problem when the NFS server was exporting an XFS file system. I also
> > > haven't checked in some time, but I believe those problems have since
> > > been fixed.
> > >
> > > Neil
> >
> > Yes, most of what I read was regarding XFS. I was not sure if there
> > were any issues outside of that (I'm using JFS right now).
>
> None that I'm aware of, but my knoweldge is far from exhaustive :)
>
> > As far as HyperThreading my testing so far has shown that under heavy
> > loads enabling HyperThreading on a dual-cpu P4 box seems to be a good
> > thing. I would grab 30s of packets with ethereal and look at the NFS
> > stats and the responce time on writes/commits (which we see a fair bit
> > of) were at least 33% faster if not more. I'm not sure if that's an
> > accurate way to measure though -- I know enough to be dangerous, but
> > I'm not an expert.
>
> Neither am I :). You testing seems reasonable to me (at least for what you
> are trying to measure currently). IIRC the Linux scheduler is built to
> take advantage of the shared resources available on hyperthreaded
> processors and schedules accordingly. In general I think its a good idea
> to turn on. I believe there are some pessimal workloads that can cause
> worse performance with HT on, than with HT off, but I believe you really
> have to work hard to produce those.
>
> Regards
> Neil
>
> > Chris

Med venlig hilsen - Best regards - Meilleures salutations

Anders Saaby
Systems Engineer