2007-03-07 02:20:33

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: nfs-utils, e_maptype

Anybody know what the e_maptype export field is for? It seems to be
unused.

--b.

by J. Bruce Fields

Subject: Re: nfs-utils, e_maptype

On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 09:23:45PM +0100, Olaf Kirch wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 March 2007 03:21, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> > Anybody know what the e_maptype export field is for? It seems to be
> > unused.
>
> IINM it goes back to the unfsd days. You could do different types of uid
> mapping there - 1:1 mapping, using NIS, or using some funky contraption called
> rpc.ugidd. Yes, we had uid mapping before NFSv4, and no, it wasnt pretty :-)

Some things are just timeless.

So does that someone somewhere could theoretically be using this code
right now? On a quick glance I'd convinced myself it was totally dead,
but I wasn't thinking about unfsd. I have no clue how it interacts with
anything else in nfs-utils.

--b.

by Olaf Kirch

On Wednesday 07 March 2007 22:28, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> So does that someone somewhere could theoretically be using this code
> right now? On a quick glance I'd convinced myself it was totally dead,
> but I wasn't thinking about unfsd. I have no clue how it interacts with
> anything else in nfs-utils.

I think it's safe to ignore unfsd.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
[email protected] | / | \ sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax

by Talpey, Thomas

At 03:49 AM 3/8/2007, Olaf Kirch wrote:
>I think it's safe to ignore unfsd.

I agree, but I've been surprised to see some of the embedded (ARM) ports
using it, they have .deb-style package installs and everything. Many of the
users of these packages don't have a lot of NFS depth. The tiny NAS boxes
in general don't even enable NFS by default, the users are on their own and
unfsd means they don't have to muck with the embedded kernel.

That said, I don't think these users even know about userid mapping types.
Also most of the boxes are now doing what they call knfsd. Just a data point
that unfsd isn't totally dead.

Tom.

by Talpey, Thomas

At 08:28 AM 3/8/2007, Peter =C3=85strand wrote:
>Users of the "original" unfsd could then switch to unfs3, which doesn't =

>depend on e_maptype. =

Good point - and unfs3 is there in the main ones already.

Okay, I agree let's ignore unfsd altogether.

Tom.

by Olaf Kirch