2004-08-12 07:01:44

by Peter Astrand

Subject: NFSv3 ACL status?

Can someone give an quick overview of the Linux NFSv3 ACL status? The
Linux NFS FAQ at http://nfs.sourceforge.net/ says:

"D3. What does this mean: svc: unknown program 100227 (me 100003)

A. It refers to a mount request by a Solaris system that is trying to get
ACL information - which linux obviously does not have. "

But: http://acl.bestbits.at/ seems to indicate that ACLs over NFSv3
actually works, and provides patches for 2.6.1, but I can't find any
information about if this patch is really needed for modern kernels
(2.6.7) or modern distributions. Is this patch for the server, client or
both?

Also, what about interoperatbility with Solaris?

/Peter ?strand

by Andreas Gruenbacher

Subject: Re: [Acl-Devel] NFSv3 ACL status?

On Thu, 2004-08-12 at 09:01, Peter Astrand wrote:
> Can someone give an quick overview of the Linux NFSv3 ACL status? The
> Linux NFS FAQ at http://nfs.sourceforge.net/ says:
>
> "D3. What does this mean: svc: unknown program 100227 (me 100003)
>
> A. It refers to a mount request by a Solaris system that is trying to get
> ACL information - which linux obviously does not have. "
>
> But: http://acl.bestbits.at/ seems to indicate that ACLs over NFSv3
> actually works, and provides patches for 2.6.1, but I can't find any
> information about if this patch is really needed for modern kernels
> (2.6.7) or modern distributions. Is this patch for the server, client or
> both?

The patch is required on both the client and the server side. (You will
find a more recent version of the patch as part of
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/mantel/kotd/i386/kernel-source.src.rpm.)

> Also, what about interoperatbility with Solaris?

The implementation is compatible.

Andreas Gruenbacher <[email protected]>
SUSE Labs, SUSE LINUX AG

by Lever, Charles

Subject: RE: NFSv3 ACL status?

> Can someone give an quick overview of the Linux NFSv3 ACL=20
> status? The Linux NFS FAQ at http://nfs.sourceforge.net/ says:
>=20
> "D3. What does this mean: svc: unknown program 100227 (me 100003)
>=20
> A. It refers to a mount request by a Solaris system that is=20
> trying to get ACL information - which linux obviously does not have. "
>=20
> But: http://acl.bestbits.at/ seems to indicate that ACLs over=20
> NFSv3 actually works, and provides patches for 2.6.1, but I=20
> can't find any information about if this patch is really=20
> needed for modern kernels
> (2.6.7) or modern distributions. Is this patch for the=20
> server, client or=20
> both?=20

Solaris ACL support is in some kernels but not others. i believe RHEL
3.0 includes Solaris ACL support for both the NFS client and server, for
example, as an extra patch. stock 2.4 does not.

i believe there is a plan to include Solaris NFSv3 ACL support in the
2.6 client and server at some point in the near future so that everyone
will get the same implementation, and the distributions won't have to
add a separate patch if they need it.

the Linux NFSv4 client/server implementation is getting ACL support
right now. there are issues with how to map POSIX ACLs (which Linux
uses) to NFSv4 ACLs, which are semantically richer but not quite
compatible, and how to allow user-level programs to access and modify
NFSv4 ACLs directly. but NFSv4 ACL support should be wire compatible
with Sun's Solaris NFSv4 implementation as well.

at some point when the universe is less complicated i plan to update the
FAQ to reflect these changes. (thermodynamically i should not have long
to wait, right?)

by Peter Astrand

Subject: RE: [NFS] NFSv3 ACL status?

> > But: http://acl.bestbits.at/ seems to indicate that ACLs over=20
> > NFSv3 actually works, and provides patches for 2.6.1, but I=20
> > can't find any information about if this patch is really=20
> > needed for modern kernels
> > (2.6.7) or modern distributions. Is this patch for the=20
> > server, client or=20
> > both?=20
>=20
> Solaris ACL support is in some kernels but not others. i believe RHEL
> 3.0 includes Solaris ACL support for both the NFS client and server, fo=
> example, as an extra patch. stock 2.4 does not.

Now I'm confused. Is "Solaris ACL support" something different than the
generic ACL patches Andreas provides?

> i believe there is a plan to include Solaris NFSv3 ACL support in the
> 2.6 client and server at some point in the near future so that everyone
> will get the same implementation, and the distributions won't have to
> add a separate patch if they need it.

That would be great.=20

> the Linux NFSv4 client/server implementation is getting ACL support
> right now. there are issues with how to map POSIX ACLs (which Linux

Currently, I'm not interested in v4 ACLs.=20

--=20
Peter =C5strand Chief Developer
Cendio http://www.thinlinc.com
Teknikringen 3 http://www.cendio.se
583 30 Link=F6ping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

by Lever, Charles

[ [email protected] is rejecting my mail, so i have dropped it from
the cc: field ]

> > Solaris ACL support is in some kernels but not others. i=20
> believe RHEL=20
> > 3.0 includes Solaris ACL support for both the NFS client=20
> and server,=20
> > for example, as an extra patch. stock 2.4 does not.
>=20
> Now I'm confused. Is "Solaris ACL support" something=20
> different than the generic ACL patches Andreas provides?

Sun created a side-band NFS-related protocol (like NLM or NSM) to allow
NFS clients to access and modify POSIX ACLs via NFSv3. it was never
standardized, so some implementations provide this support, and others
do not. Solaris was the first O/S to get this support.

i believe what ag's patch set provides is "POSIX ACL support" which
means he has added the generic file system interfaces needed to support
ACLs as they are described in the POSIX standards. "Solaris ACL
support" means using the Sun-defined NFS side-band protocol to access
and modify POSIX ACLs via an NFS client.

Linux (in 2.4 kernels) does not provide support for accessing and
modifiying ACLs on the server via NFS. neither the client side nor the
server side support is there. there are some patches against 2.4 that
provide this support on both sides, and i believe they are part of ag's
ACL patch set.

note that NFSv3 clients can still respect the server-side ACL settings
because with v3, a new operation, called ACCESS, was added to allow
clients that don't support fine-grained access control to honor the ACL
settings on the server. instead of basing access control strictly on a
file's mode bits, an NFSv3 client uses an ACCESS operation to see if
there are any other access restrictions on a file that are not visible
via the file's attributes.

by Peter Astrand

> > believe RHEL=20
> > > 3.0 includes Solaris ACL support for both the NFS client=20
> > and server,=20
> > > for example, as an extra patch. stock 2.4 does not.
> >=20
> > Now I'm confused. Is "Solaris ACL support" something=20
> > different than the generic ACL patches Andreas provides?
>=20
> Sun created a side-band NFS-related protocol (like NLM or NSM) to allow
> NFS clients to access and modify POSIX ACLs via NFSv3. it was never
> standardized, so some implementations provide this support, and others

Yeah, I know all this.=20

> ACLs as they are described in the POSIX standards. "Solaris ACL
> support" means using the Sun-defined NFS side-band protocol to access
> and modify POSIX ACLs via an NFS client.
>=20
> Linux (in 2.4 kernels) does not provide support for accessing and
> modifiying ACLs on the server via NFS. neither the client side nor the
> server side support is there. there are some patches against 2.4 that
> provide this support on both sides, and i believe they are part of ag's
> ACL patch set.

Can anyone confirm that the "RHEL 3.0 Solaris ACL support" is really AG's=
=20
ACL patches?

--=20
Peter =C5strand Chief Developer
Cendio http://www.thinlinc.com
Teknikringen 3 http://www.cendio.se
583 30 Link=F6ping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00

by Olaf Kirch

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:00:56AM -0700, Lever, Charles wrote:
> i believe what ag's patch set provides is "POSIX ACL support" which
> means he has added the generic file system interfaces needed to support
> ACLs as they are described in the POSIX standards. "Solaris ACL
> support" means using the Sun-defined NFS side-band protocol to access
> and modify POSIX ACLs via an NFS client.

No; Andreas' patches implement the Solaris ACL side-band protocol for
NFSv3. These patches are in the suse kernels; I don't know whether or
not they are in any redhat kernels.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | The Hardware Gods hate me.
[email protected] |

by Steve Dickson

Olaf Kirch wrote:

>On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 08:00:56AM -0700, Lever, Charles wrote:
>

>>i believe what ag's patch set provides is "POSIX ACL support" which
>>means he has added the generic file system interfaces needed to support
>>ACLs as they are described in the POSIX standards. "Solaris ACL
>>support" means using the Sun-defined NFS side-band protocol to access
>>and modify POSIX ACLs via an NFS client.
>>

>No; Andreas' patches implement the Solaris ACL side-band protocol for
>NFSv3. These patches are in the suse kernels; I don't know whether or
>not they are in any redhat kernels.

They are in RHEL kernels, not FC ones...

SteveD.