2006-12-16 15:20:45

by Roland

Subject: kernel+userspace based nfsd running in parallel on linux?

Hello !

for a special scenario, i´m thinking about running the classic userspace nfsd in parallel with the kernel based.

i think this _could_ be possible by binding the userspace one to the primary interface (eth0, ip 1.2.3.4) and the kernel based one to a virtual interface (eth0:1, ip 1.2.3.5)

i have done similar with other daemons, providing services on the same ports, but on different interfaces - think of apache ip-based virtual hosting which serves http://www.domaina.com on 1.2.3.4:80 and http://www.domainb.com on 1.2.3.5:80

since i`m unsure if this would work, can you experts give a comment if this should at least be possible in theory ?

if there isn´t a killer argument against this (does not work by design because...), i would like to try to elaborate to make this work. if this fails because there is no way to specify a dedicated interface to listen on - maybe this could be fixed with some few modifications to the code...

regards
roland

by Bernd Schubert

Hi Roland,

On Saturday 16 December 2006 16:20, [email protected] wrote:
> Hello !
>
> for a special scenario, i´m thinking about running the classic
> userspace nfsd in parallel with the kernel based.

we are are already doing this for a long time.

> i think this _could_ be possible by binding the userspace one to the
> primary interface (eth0, ip 1.2.3.4) and the kernel based one to a virtual
> interface (eth0:1, ip 1.2.3.5)

Hmm, I thing this is presently not possible. I might be wrong, but I think =

neither knfsd nor any userspace nfs daemon presently supports binding to =

selected interfaces. Thinks they alsways bind to all interfaces.
We doing it by using different ports for the daemons, knfsd is running as =

usual on 2049 and unfsd (unfs3) is running on another port. One also needs =

to tell one of the daemon not to register to the portmapper, unfs3 also =

supports that.

[...]

> if there isn´t a killer argument against this (does not work by desi=
gn
> because...), i would like to try to elaborate to make this work. if this
> fails because there is no way to specify a dedicated interface to listen =
on
> - maybe this could be fixed with some few modifications to the code...

Any argument against simply using different ports?

Cheers,
Bernd

-- =

Bernd Schubert
PCI / Theoretische Chemie
Universit=E4t Heidelberg
INF 229
69120 Heidelberg

by Roland

Hi Bernd, =

> we are are already doing this for a long time.

any caveats with this? just tune one of both to use different port ?

> Hmm, I thing this is presently not possible. I might be wrong, but I thin=
k =

> neither knfsd nor any userspace nfs daemon presently supports binding to =

> selected interfaces. Thinks they alsways bind to all interfaces.

i wonder very often, why there are so many applications out there which act=
ually _DON`T_ support this. if you are a security aware person, this is a =
very nice feature to be able to make your box more secure, without any fire=
walling at all. an interface which isn`t actually listening is more secure =
than one being firewalled, because you could have misconfigured your firewa=
ll or it could be down by accident. such feature gives so much greater flex=
ibility - i wished i would be able to tell "-bind 1.2.3.4:1234" instead of =
just "-port 1234" to every type of application opening a listening socket.

> We doing it by using different ports for the daemons, knfsd is running as =

> usual on 2049 and unfsd (unfs3) is running on another port. One also nee=
ds =

> to tell one of the daemon not to register to the portmapper, unfs3 also =

> supports that.

ah, thanks - this looks like one of those "caveats". btw - what about using=
userspace nfsd via xinetd? xinetd supports binding to dedicated interfaces.

> > if there isn´t a killer argument against this (does not work by de=
sign
> > because...), i would like to try to elaborate to make this work. if this
> > fails because there is no way to specify a dedicated interface to liste=
n on
> > - maybe this could be fixed with some few modifications to the code...
> =

> Any argument against simply using different ports?

ease of use for the clients? (because it´s easier to tell them to conn=
ect to a different ip than to a different port) - what if the client doesn`=
t support connecting to different port (ok, don`t know details yet about nf=
s clients and specifying ports - but i know many apps which are not able to=
use another port than the standard/default one.

thanks!

roland

Viren-Scan f=FCr Ihren PC! Jetzt f=FCr jeden. Sofort, online und kostenlos.
Gleich testen! http://www.pc-sicherheit.web.de/freescan/?mc=3D022222

by Roland

thanks - i just came across unfs3 some hours ago after searching this list =
for a while - i didn´t know that there exists a nfsv3 userspace implem=
entation.

so - maybe it`s a good replacement for classic userspace nfsd and i don`t n=
eed knfsd at all - looks like it also supports files >2gb.

will give it a try!

> -----Urspr=FCngliche Nachricht-----
nux?

> On Sat, 16 Dec 2006, [email protected] wrote:
> =

> > > Hmm, I thing this is presently not possible. I might be wrong, but I =
think =

> > > neither knfsd nor any userspace nfs daemon presently supports binding=
to =

> > > selected interfaces. Thinks they alsways bind to all interfaces.
> > =

> > i wonder very often, why there are so many applications out there which =

> > actually _DON`T_ support this. if you are a security aware person, this =

> =

> Actually, unfs3 does support this. Just use the -l argument. =

> =

> Regards, =

> ---
> Peter =C3&#65533;strand ThinLinc Chief Developer
> Cendio AB http://www.cendio.se
> Teknikringen 3
> 583 30 Link=C3=B6ping Phone: +46-13-21 46 00
> =

___________________________________________________________________________=
___
"Ein Herz f=FCr Kinder" - Ihre Spende hilft! Aktion: http://www.deutschlandsegelt.=
de
Unser Dankesch=F6n: Ihr Name auf dem Segel der 1. deutschen America's Cup-Y=
acht!

by Olaf Kirch

On Sat, Dec 16, 2006 at 05:17:30PM +0100, Bernd Schubert wrote:
> Hmm, I thing this is presently not possible. I might be wrong, but I think
> neither knfsd nor any userspace nfs daemon presently supports binding to
> selected interfaces. Thinks they alsways bind to all interfaces.
> We doing it by using different ports for the daemons, knfsd is running as
> usual on 2049 and unfsd (unfs3) is running on another port. One also needs
> to tell one of the daemon not to register to the portmapper, unfs3 also
> supports that.

The big problem will be mountd. There's only one portmapper, and you
can register only one mountd - and the file handles given out by unfs
mountd don't work with the kernel nfsd and vice versa.

Oh, and what about locking? :)

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
[email protected] | / | \ sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax

by Olaf Kirch

On Sun, Dec 17, 2006 at 11:25:45AM +0100, Peter =C5strand wrote:
> This is no problem, you can run both the nfs and mount service without th=
e =

> portmapper. They can even run on the same port. So, typically you run =

Yeah, I know. But is that what he was asking for?

Olaf
-- =