2003-12-25 18:43:00

by Stefan Ewert

Subject: limitations at 5,8 GB?

Hi,

im new to nfs and i googeld about this problem but i didnt find a solution for
the following problem:

I got a 100 GIG harddisk on my server and i mounted it on my client without
any warnings or problems. the only thing is that i now have 5.8 GB instead
of 100. Are there any restrictions in nfs protocol, or do u know a possible
solution for this prob?

Thx!

Best Regards

Stefan Ewert

using Mdk9.2 AMD 1 Ghz

by Juri Haberland

Subject: Re: limitations at 5,8 GB?

Stefan Ewert <[email protected]> wrote:

> I got a 100 GIG harddisk on my server and i mounted it on my client without
> any warnings or problems. the only thing is that i now have 5.8 GB instead
> of 100. Are there any restrictions in nfs protocol, or do u know a possible
> solution for this prob?

I don't know where your problem is but there is no restriction of that
size in the NFS protocol.

This what I get from 'df' on one of my clients:
nfs:/export/data 160066688 150683400 9383288 95% /net/data

You can see that I can access an exported disk with the size of 160GB.

Cheers,
Juri

--
Juri Haberland <[email protected]>

by Paul Heinlein

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003, Stefan Ewert wrote:

> im new to nfs and i googeld about this problem but i didnt find a
> solution for the following problem:
>
> I got a 100 GIG harddisk on my server and i mounted it on my client
> without any warnings or problems. the only thing is that i now have
> 5.8 GB instead of 100. Are there any restrictions in nfs protocol,
> or do u know a possible solution for this prob?

There's certainly no problem with a 100GB export. I'm using a Linux
server to export a 1.7-terabyte filesystem without difficulty.

I assume that you see the full 100 GB on your server, right? If so,

* Do you have any quota limitations on client or server?

* Is the 100GB disk divided into smallish partitions, or is it one
huge partition? It could be that you've mounted just one of the
partitions instead of all of them.

-- Paul Heinlein <[email protected]>

by Olaf Kirch

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 09:56:42AM +0000, Juri Haberland wrote:
> This what I get from 'df' on one of my clients:
> nfs:/export/data 160066688 150683400 9383288 95% /net/data
>
> You can see that I can access an exported disk with the size of 160GB.

I remember there was an integer overflow in the NFS statfs implementation
some 2.4 kernels that caused df to report silly disk sizes if the kernel
picked the wrong block size.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch | Stop wasting entropy - start using predictable
[email protected] | tempfile names today!

by James Pearson

>im new to nfs and i googeld about this problem but i didnt find a solution for
>the following problem:
>
>I got a 100 GIG harddisk on my server and i mounted it on my client without
>any warnings or problems. the only thing is that i now have 5.8 GB instead
>of 100. Are there any restrictions in nfs protocol, or do u know a possible
>solution for this prob?

Are you sure you have mounted the 100Gb disk over NFS?

If the 100Gb disk was not mounted on the server, then you may just be seeing
the mount point directory (e.g. a directory on the server's root disk), or you
could have exported/mounted the wrong directory?

James Pearson