2011-02-18 17:15:08

by mgrepl

Subject: [refpolicy] [patch 1/1] sudo: Fixes for sudo, handle /var/db/sudo

http://mgrepl.fedorapeople.org/F15/admin_sudo.patch

* Allow sudo to send signals to any domains the user could have
transitioned to.
* Handle /var/db/sudo
* Allow users to run executables in /tmp or ~/

2011-02-19 05:08:09

by Guido Trentalancia

Hello Miroslav !

On Fri, 18/02/2011 at 17.15 +0000, Miroslav Grepl wrote:
> http://mgrepl.fedorapeople.org/F15/admin_sudo.patch
>
> * Allow sudo to send signals to any domains the user could have
> transitioned to.
> * Handle /var/db/sudo
> * Allow users to run executables in /tmp or ~/

To the best of my knowledge, the first part of the last change is
something really bad from a security point of view.

System administrators put much effort to avoid that (such as
mounting /tmp with noexec, nosuid options) !

A legitimate user does not need to store his/her executables in /tmp, as
he/she has at least its own home directory available for that (and if
he/she cannot write there, then he/she is probably over quota).

/tmp just "potentially provides storage space for malicious
executables" (quoted from paragraph 2.2.1.3 of NSA public document
"Guide to the Secure Configuration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5"
Revision 4, but any decent web search engine would easily provide you
with tons of pages relative to the cries of those whom have allowed that
sort of thing to happen on their systems).

Regards,

Guido

2011-02-19 10:05:13

by sven.vermeulen

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 05:15:08PM +0000, Miroslav Grepl wrote:
> http://mgrepl.fedorapeople.org/F15/admin_sudo.patch
>
> * Allow sudo to send signals to any domains the user could have
> transitioned to.
> * Handle /var/db/sudo
> * Allow users to run executables in /tmp or ~/

The /var/db/sudo use was discussed not that long ago. As it is a rename from
/var/run/sudo to /var/db/sudo (or /var/lib/sudo or /var/adm/sudo) the
previous mapping (pam_var_run_t) should be applied rather than create a new
type.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen

2011-02-21 14:02:22

by Daniel Walsh

2011-02-21 14:07:50

by domg472

On 02/21/2011 03:02 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 02/19/2011 12:08 AM, Guido Trentalancia wrote:
>> Hello Miroslav !
>
>> On Fri, 18/02/2011 at 17.15 +0000, Miroslav Grepl wrote:
>>> http://mgrepl.fedorapeople.org/F15/admin_sudo.patch
>>>
>>> * Allow sudo to send signals to any domains the user could have
>>> transitioned to.
>>> * Handle /var/db/sudo
>>> * Allow users to run executables in /tmp or ~/
>
>> To the best of my knowledge, the first part of the last change is
>> something really bad from a security point of view.
>
>> System administrators put much effort to avoid that (such as
>> mounting /tmp with noexec, nosuid options) !
>
>> A legitimate user does not need to store his/her executables in /tmp, as
>> he/she has at least its own home directory available for that (and if
>> he/she cannot write there, then he/she is probably over quota).
>
>> /tmp just "potentially provides storage space for malicious
>> executables" (quoted from paragraph 2.2.1.3 of NSA public document
>> "Guide to the Secure Configuration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5"
>> Revision 4, but any decent web search engine would easily provide you
>> with tons of pages relative to the cries of those whom have allowed that
>> sort of thing to happen on their systems).
>
>> Regards,
>
>> Guido

> + userdom_domtrans_user_tmp($1_sudo_t, $3)
>
> Says to run user_tmp_t files as staff_t, Which is the equivalent of if
> the staff_t had executed the file directly.
>
> I guess if execution of homedir/tmp dir was turned off this could be
> seen as a priv escalation.

refpolicy does not have the above functionality afaik.

> staff_t is not allowed to execute user_tmp_t, but it can if it goes
> through sudo.

2011-02-21 16:59:00

by Daniel Walsh

On 02/21/2011 09:07 AM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 03:02 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>> On 02/19/2011 12:08 AM, Guido Trentalancia wrote:

>>> To the best of my knowledge, the first part of the last change is
>>> something really bad from a security point of view.
>
>>> System administrators put much effort to avoid that (such as
>>> mounting /tmp with noexec, nosuid options) !
>
>>> A legitimate user does not need to store his/her executables in /tmp, as
>>> he/she has at least its own home directory available for that (and if
>>> he/she cannot write there, then he/she is probably over quota).
>
>>> /tmp just "potentially provides storage space for malicious
>>> executables" (quoted from paragraph 2.2.1.3 of NSA public document
>>> "Guide to the Secure Configuration of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5"
>>> Revision 4, but any decent web search engine would easily provide you
>>> with tons of pages relative to the cries of those whom have allowed that
>>> sort of thing to happen on their systems).
>
>>> Regards,
>
>>> Guido

>> + userdom_domtrans_user_tmp($1_sudo_t, $3)
>
>> Says to run user_tmp_t files as staff_t, Which is the equivalent of if
>> the staff_t had executed the file directly.
>
>> I guess if execution of homedir/tmp dir was turned off this could be
>> seen as a priv escalation.
>
> refpolicy does not have the above functionality afaik.
>
>> staff_t is not allowed to execute user_tmp_t, but it can if it goes
>> through sudo.

Are you saying staff_t is not allowed to execute user_tmp_t in reference
policy?

2011-02-21 17:40:53

by domg472

On 02/21/2011 05:59 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 09:07 AM, Dominick Grift wrote:

>>> + userdom_domtrans_user_tmp($1_sudo_t, $3)
>
>>> Says to run user_tmp_t files as staff_t, Which is the equivalent of if
>>> the staff_t had executed the file directly.
>
>>> I guess if execution of homedir/tmp dir was turned off this could be
>>> seen as a priv escalation.
>
>> refpolicy does not have the above functionality afaik.
>
>>> staff_t is not allowed to execute user_tmp_t, but it can if it goes
>>> through sudo.
>
> Are you saying staff_t is not allowed to execute user_tmp_t in reference
> policy?

no, i am saying it can by default.

2011-02-21 17:42:00

by domg472

On 02/21/2011 05:59 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 09:07 AM, Dominick Grift wrote:

>>> + userdom_domtrans_user_tmp($1_sudo_t, $3)
>
>>> Says to run user_tmp_t files as staff_t, Which is the equivalent of if
>>> the staff_t had executed the file directly.
>
>>> I guess if execution of homedir/tmp dir was turned off this could be
>>> seen as a priv escalation.
>
>> refpolicy does not have the above functionality afaik.
>
>>> staff_t is not allowed to execute user_tmp_t, but it can if it goes
>>> through sudo.
>
> Are you saying staff_t is not allowed to execute user_tmp_t in reference
> policy?

template(`userdom_login_user_template', `
gen_require(`
class context contains;
')

userdom_base_user_template($1)

userdom_manage_home_role($1_r, $1_t)

userdom_manage_tmp_role($1_r, $1_t)
userdom_manage_tmpfs_role($1_r, $1_t)

userdom_exec_user_tmp_files($1_t)
userdom_exec_user_home_content_files($1_t)

userdom_change_password_template($1)

##############################
#
# User domain Local policy
#

2011-02-21 19:23:28

by Daniel Walsh

On 02/21/2011 12:42 PM, Dominick Grift wrote:
> On 02/21/2011 05:59 PM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> refpolicy does not have the above functionality afaik.

>> Are you saying staff_t is not allowed to execute user_tmp_t in reference
>> policy?
>
> template(`userdom_login_user_template', `
> gen_require(`
> class context contains;
> ')
>
> userdom_base_user_template($1)
>
> userdom_manage_home_role($1_r, $1_t)
>
> userdom_manage_tmp_role($1_r, $1_t)
> userdom_manage_tmpfs_role($1_r, $1_t)
>
> userdom_exec_user_tmp_files($1_t)
> userdom_exec_user_home_content_files($1_t)
>
> userdom_change_password_template($1)

> #
> # User domain Local policy
> #
Then allowing sudo to execute them as the user role would make sense.

2011-02-21 19:24:10

by domg472

agreed