2015-08-03 12:31:23

by mgrepl

Subject: [refpolicy] kdbus support

I am working on kdbus support on Fedora 24. Basically we need to add
support for

/sys/fs/kdbus

and I am thinking about correct labeling. Something like

+type kdbusfs_t;
+fs_type(kdbusfs_t)
+files_mountpoint(kdbusfs_t)
+dev_associate_sysfs(kdbusfs_t)
+genfscon kdbusfs / gen_context(system_u:object_r:kdbusfs_t,s0)

What do you think about kdbusfs_t label?

Thanks.

--
Miroslav Grepl
Senior Software Engineer, SELinux Solutions

2015-08-03 13:27:48

by Stephen Smalley

On 08/03/2015 08:31 AM, Miroslav Grepl wrote:
> I am working on kdbus support on Fedora 24. Basically we need to add
> support for
>
> /sys/fs/kdbus
>
> and I am thinking about correct labeling. Something like
>
> +type kdbusfs_t;
> +fs_type(kdbusfs_t)
> +files_mountpoint(kdbusfs_t)
> +dev_associate_sysfs(kdbusfs_t)
> +genfscon kdbusfs / gen_context(system_u:object_r:kdbusfs_t,s0)
>
> What do you think about kdbusfs_t label?

Until kdbus has LSM hooks, it should not be accessible by anything.
Otherwise, it is a completely uncontrolled IPC mechanism by which
anything is free to violate policy on the system.

2015-08-03 13:34:30

by mgrepl

On 08/03/2015 03:27 PM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On 08/03/2015 08:31 AM, Miroslav Grepl wrote:
>> I am working on kdbus support on Fedora 24. Basically we need to add
>> support for
>>
>> /sys/fs/kdbus
>>
>> and I am thinking about correct labeling. Something like
>>
>> +type kdbusfs_t;
>> +fs_type(kdbusfs_t)
>> +files_mountpoint(kdbusfs_t)
>> +dev_associate_sysfs(kdbusfs_t)
>> +genfscon kdbusfs / gen_context(system_u:object_r:kdbusfs_t,s0)
>>
>> What do you think about kdbusfs_t label?
>
> Until kdbus has LSM hooks, it should not be accessible by anything.
> Otherwise, it is a completely uncontrolled IPC mechanism by which
> anything is free to violate policy on the system.

Yes, just wanted to test it and see lot of CAP_IPC_OWNER.

--
Miroslav Grepl
Senior Software Engineer, SELinux Solutions
Red Hat, Inc.

2015-08-03 14:33:12

by Daniel Walsh

On 08/03/2015 09:27 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On 08/03/2015 08:31 AM, Miroslav Grepl wrote:
>> I am working on kdbus support on Fedora 24. Basically we need to add
>> support for
>>
>> /sys/fs/kdbus
>>
>> and I am thinking about correct labeling. Something like
>>
>> +type kdbusfs_t;
>> +fs_type(kdbusfs_t)
>> +files_mountpoint(kdbusfs_t)
>> +dev_associate_sysfs(kdbusfs_t)
>> +genfscon kdbusfs / gen_context(system_u:object_r:kdbusfs_t,s0)
>>
>> What do you think about kdbusfs_t label?
> Until kdbus has LSM hooks, it should not be accessible by anything.
> Otherwise, it is a completely uncontrolled IPC mechanism by which
> anything is free to violate policy on the system.

Well Rawhide is totally broken right now, and everyone has to boot in
permissive mode.

We need to allow this for now and then fix the kernel.

2015-08-03 15:40:08

by Stephen Smalley

On 08/03/2015 10:33 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 08/03/2015 09:27 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
>> On 08/03/2015 08:31 AM, Miroslav Grepl wrote:
>>> I am working on kdbus support on Fedora 24. Basically we need to add
>>> support for
>>>
>>> /sys/fs/kdbus
>>>
>>> and I am thinking about correct labeling. Something like
>>>
>>> +type kdbusfs_t;
>>> +fs_type(kdbusfs_t)
>>> +files_mountpoint(kdbusfs_t)
>>> +dev_associate_sysfs(kdbusfs_t)
>>> +genfscon kdbusfs / gen_context(system_u:object_r:kdbusfs_t,s0)
>>>
>>> What do you think about kdbusfs_t label?
>> Until kdbus has LSM hooks, it should not be accessible by anything.
>> Otherwise, it is a completely uncontrolled IPC mechanism by which
>> anything is free to violate policy on the system.

> Well Rawhide is totally broken right now, and everyone has to boot in
> permissive mode.
>
> We need to allow this for now and then fix the kernel.

Is it unreasonable to require Fedora developers to test with SELinux
enforcing before submitting changes? Especially systemd...

2015-08-03 15:52:44

by Daniel Walsh

On 08/03/2015 11:40 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> On 08/03/2015 10:33 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

>>> Until kdbus has LSM hooks, it should not be accessible by anything.
>>> Otherwise, it is a completely uncontrolled IPC mechanism by which
>>> anything is free to violate policy on the system.

>> Well Rawhide is totally broken right now, and everyone has to boot in
>> permissive mode.
>>
>> We need to allow this for now and then fix the kernel.
>>
> Is it unreasonable to require Fedora developers to test with SELinux
> enforcing before submitting changes? Especially systemd...

I am sure the developers would argue that the whole process would ground
to a halt.

2015-08-03 15:55:03

by Stephen Smalley

On 08/03/2015 11:52 AM, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 08/03/2015 11:40 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:

>>> Well Rawhide is totally broken right now, and everyone has to boot in
>>> permissive mode.
>>>
>>> We need to allow this for now and then fix the kernel.
>>>
>> Is it unreasonable to require Fedora developers to test with SELinux
>> enforcing before submitting changes? Especially systemd...
>>
> I am sure the developers would argue that the whole process would ground
> to a halt.

Seems problematic otherwise, as 1) it shifts the blame for breakage to
SELinux rather than to the offending change, and 2) it teaches
developers and users of rawhide to just always disable SELinux to avoid
such breakage, which only further reinforces the problem. And then
fixing such issues falls entirely on you and never on the developer who
made the change. Certainly seems problematic that the maintainer of a
such a critical package as systemd runs with SELinux disabled...

2015-08-03 18:19:49

by Dac Override

On Mon, Aug 03, 2015 at 10:33:12AM -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> On 08/03/2015 09:27 AM, Stephen Smalley wrote:
> > On 08/03/2015 08:31 AM, Miroslav Grepl wrote:
> >> I am working on kdbus support on Fedora 24. Basically we need to add
> >> support for
> >>
> >> /sys/fs/kdbus
> >>
> >> and I am thinking about correct labeling. Something like
> >>
> >> +type kdbusfs_t;
> >> +fs_type(kdbusfs_t)
> >> +files_mountpoint(kdbusfs_t)
> >> +dev_associate_sysfs(kdbusfs_t)
> >> +genfscon kdbusfs / gen_context(system_u:object_r:kdbusfs_t,s0)
> >>
> >> What do you think about kdbusfs_t label?
> > Until kdbus has LSM hooks, it should not be accessible by anything.
> > Otherwise, it is a completely uncontrolled IPC mechanism by which
> > anything is free to violate policy on the system.

> Well Rawhide is totally broken right now, and everyone has to boot in
> permissive mode.
>
> We need to allow this for now and then fix the kernel.

huh, rawhide works fine here just dont add kdbus=1 on the kernel boot line and youll be fine

one thing i noticed though is that even without kdbus=1 , alot of processes now all of a sudden want to traverse /sys