2007-12-17 00:49:18

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: [patch 4/9] mac80211: Make PID rate control algorithm the default

> -What: iee80211 softmac wireless networking component
> +What: ieee80211 softmac wireless networking component

Unrelated change, please separate.

> +
> +What: rc80211-simple rate control algorithm for mac80211
> +When: 2.6.26
> +Files: net/mac80211/rc80211-simple.c
> +Why: This algorithm was provided for reference but always exhibited bad
> + responsiveness and performance and has some serious flaws. It has been
> + replaced by rc80211-pid.
> +Who: Stefano Brivio <[email protected]>

I don't think we really want to do this. We can't even change the
algorithm anyway except by recompiling with a different default.

Will do a code review tomorrow.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-12-17 15:29:48

by John W. Linville

On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 10:56:14AM +0100, Mattias Nissler wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 02:09 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > > That was my original proposal, but during a recent discussion John
> > > suggested not to remove rc80211-simple right now, as it's currently
> > > almost working for a lot of people. John, any suggestions?
> >
> > Those people can fix the bitrate at 1M if the pid algorithm becomes
> > problematic, that's what simple currently does in practice.
>
> Agreed. So what flavour of this patch do you want? John?

My "Spidey sense" tells me it would be good to keep the old one around
for a little while... :-)

Besides, as we have seen recently people often get quite upset when
you remove a feature that they perceive to be working for them --
no matter how much better the alternative may be. It would be better
to give them some warning.

John
--
John W. Linville

by Johannes Berg

> > > +What: rc80211-simple rate control algorithm for mac80211
> > > +When: 2.6.26
> > > +Files: net/mac80211/rc80211-simple.c
> > > +Why: This algorithm was provided for reference but always exhibited bad
> > > + responsiveness and performance and has some serious flaws. It has been
> > > + replaced by rc80211-pid.
> > > +Who: Stefano Brivio <[email protected]>
> >
> > I don't think we really want to do this. We can't even change the
> > algorithm anyway except by recompiling with a different default.
>
> What do you suggest instead?

Just kick it out right away.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-12-17 09:51:57

by Mattias Nissler

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 01:50 +0100, Stefano Brivio wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:49:06 +0100
> Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > -What: iee80211 softmac wireless networking component
> > > +What: ieee80211 softmac wireless networking component
> >

> > Unrelated change, please separate.
>
> Will do.

Done so :-)

2007-12-17 01:09:24

by Johannes Berg

> That was my original proposal, but during a recent discussion John
> suggested not to remove rc80211-simple right now, as it's currently
> almost working for a lot of people. John, any suggestions?

Those people can fix the bitrate at 1M if the pid algorithm becomes
problematic, that's what simple currently does in practice.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (828.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-12-17 09:56:17

by Mattias Nissler

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 02:09 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> > That was my original proposal, but during a recent discussion John
> > suggested not to remove rc80211-simple right now, as it's currently
> > almost working for a lot of people. John, any suggestions?
>
> Those people can fix the bitrate at 1M if the pid algorithm becomes
> problematic, that's what simple currently does in practice.

Agreed. So what flavour of this patch do you want? John?

Mattias

2007-12-17 01:01:58

by Stefano Brivio

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:54:33 +0100

> > > I don't think we really want to do this. We can't even change the
> > > algorithm anyway except by recompiling with a different default.
> >
> > What do you suggest instead?
>
> Just kick it out right away.

That was my original proposal, but during a recent discussion John
suggested not to remove rc80211-simple right now, as it's currently
almost working for a lot of people. John, any suggestions?

--
Ciao
Stefano

2007-12-17 00:54:10

by Stefano Brivio

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:49:06 +0100
Johannes Berg <[email protected]> wrote:

> > -What: iee80211 softmac wireless networking component
> > +What: ieee80211 softmac wireless networking component
>

> Unrelated change, please separate.

Will do.

> > +
> > +What: rc80211-simple rate control algorithm for mac80211
> > +When: 2.6.26
> > +Files: net/mac80211/rc80211-simple.c
> > +Why: This algorithm was provided for reference but always exhibited bad
> > + responsiveness and performance and has some serious flaws. It has been
> > + replaced by rc80211-pid.
> > +Who: Stefano Brivio <[email protected]>
>
> I don't think we really want to do this. We can't even change the
> algorithm anyway except by recompiling with a different default.

What do you suggest instead?

--
Ciao
Stefano

2007-12-17 17:47:45

by Johannes Berg

> My "Spidey sense" tells me it would be good to keep the old one around
> for a little while... :-)
>
> Besides, as we have seen recently people often get quite upset when
> you remove a feature that they perceive to be working for them --
> no matter how much better the alternative may be. It would be better
> to give them some warning.

Then we need to introduce a Kconfig option for making the simple one
default because we don't have run-time switching yet.