2008-08-27 20:22:59

by Ivo Van Doorn

Subject: [rt2x00] rt2800 progress update (bad news)

Hi,

Several weeks after the deadline for the initial rt2800 version,
I regret to inform everybody that I still do not have a working driver.

rt2800pci is still incomplete since I have put a lot of focus on the rt2800usb
driver to get at least a single working driver out. Unfortunately rt2800usb
remains very stubborn and refuses. The only success I have had so far is
when I first load the legacy driver and switch to rt2800usb afterwards.
This means I am missing a register initialization or there is a problem with
the register initialization ordering.

The result is that it looks like I will cancel all previously announced deadlines,
and at this time can't give a indication when the first version can be released.
What I can promise is that rt2800usb will be released first, since that driver is most
complete, and I am putting all focus on that driver first.

Ivo

2008-08-28 20:39:26

by Mattias Nissler

Subject: Re: [Rt2400-devel] [rt2x00] rt2800 progress update (bad news)

Hi Ivo,

I'll have some spare time during September, and I'd be happy to help you
with this. Problem is I don't have rt2800 hardware, but I'd consider to
get me a device. Do you have a list of hardware that contains the chip?
Unfortunately the rt2x00 hardware page currently doesn't have
information on rt2800 devices.

Cheers,

Mattias

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 22:22 +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Several weeks after the deadline for the initial rt2800 version,
> I regret to inform everybody that I still do not have a working driver.
>
> rt2800pci is still incomplete since I have put a lot of focus on the rt2800usb
> driver to get at least a single working driver out. Unfortunately rt2800usb
> remains very stubborn and refuses. The only success I have had so far is
> when I first load the legacy driver and switch to rt2800usb afterwards.
> This means I am missing a register initialization or there is a problem with
> the register initialization ordering.
>
> The result is that it looks like I will cancel all previously announced deadlines,
> and at this time can't give a indication when the first version can be released.
> What I can promise is that rt2800usb will be released first, since that driver is most
> complete, and I am putting all focus on that driver first.
>
> Ivo

by Ganesh Narayanan

Hi Mattias,

I remember the Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N USB Station dongle
which apparently is based on RT2800F.

Ganesh.

I'll have some spare time during September, and I'd be happy to help you with this. Problem is I don't have rt2800 hardware, but I'd consider to get me a device. Do you have a list of hardware that contains the chip?
Unfortunately the rt2x00 hardware page currently doesn't have information on rt2800 devices.

Cheers,

Mattias

On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 22:22 +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Several weeks after the deadline for the initial rt2800 version, I
> regret to inform everybody that I still do not have a working driver.
>
> rt2800pci is still incomplete since I have put a lot of focus on the
> rt2800usb driver to get at least a single working driver out.
> Unfortunately rt2800usb remains very stubborn and refuses. The only
> success I have had so far is when I first load the legacy driver and switch to rt2800usb afterwards.
> This means I am missing a register initialization or there is a
> problem with the register initialization ordering.
>
> The result is that it looks like I will cancel all previously
> announced deadlines, and at this time can't give a indication when the first version can be released.
> What I can promise is that rt2800usb will be released first, since
> that driver is most complete, and I am putting all focus on that driver first.
>
> Ivo

by Mattias Nissler

Subject: Re: what is the states of rt2800 driver?

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 19:37 +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2008, Xu, Martin wrote:
> > Hi:
> > I am the engineer from intel, and we are working on Moblin project(
> > http://www.moblin.org). Now we work on eeepc901 platform. The rt2860 wireless
> > device is used by the platform. We hope the device driver can be
> > supported in the kernel mainline.
> > Could you please tell me the states of the device driver? Do you have
> > schedule on it?
>
> Nothing has changed since my last announcement to the linux-wireless list
> regarding the rt2800 drivers.
> That means that the drivers are not ready, and I have abandonded all schedules
> which could indicate when the first test version of the driver can be released.
>
> Mattias Nissler has joined the rt2800 development party, so I really hope
> he has some fresh ideas an how to get the driver development forward again.

Indeed, I started poking around today. Ivo, do you have version of the
legacy rt2870 usb driver that compiles and works on recent development
kernels?

Mattias

2008-09-22 21:49:56

by Mattias Nissler

On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 23:18 +0200, Ivo van Doorn wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2008, Mattias Nissler wrote:
> > >
> > > Nothing has changed since my last announcement to the linux-wireless list
> > > regarding the rt2800 drivers.
> > > That means that the drivers are not ready, and I have abandonded all schedules
> > > which could indicate when the first test version of the driver can be released.
> > >
> > > Mattias Nissler has joined the rt2800 development party, so I really hope
> > > he has some fresh ideas an how to get the driver development forward again.
> >
> > Indeed, I started poking around today. Ivo, do you have version of the
> > legacy rt2870 usb driver that compiles and works on recent development
> > kernels?
>
> I only managed to compile it on 2.6.25 (but haven't tried hard to get it working
> for 2.6.26 and higher), is that recent enough?

Hm, I'm trying to get it to run current rt2x00.git/experimental, so I
can directly compare I/O that's going to the device without rebooting.
I'm having some trouble with the threads used in the Ralink driver, but
I think I'll have that sorted out shortly.

Mattias

2008-09-22 01:56:24

by Xu, Martin

Subject: what is the states of rt2800 driver?

Hi:
I am the engineer from intel, and we are working on Moblin project(
http://www.moblin.org). Now we work on eeepc901 platform. The rt2860 wireless
device is used by the platform. We hope the device driver can be
supported in the kernel mainline.
Could you please tell me the states of the device driver? Do you have
schedule on it?
Thank you very much.

2008-09-22 17:37:41

by Ivo Van Doorn

On Monday 22 September 2008, Xu, Martin wrote:
> Hi:
> I am the engineer from intel, and we are working on Moblin project(
> http://www.moblin.org). Now we work on eeepc901 platform. The rt2860 wireless
> device is used by the platform. We hope the device driver can be
> supported in the kernel mainline.
> Could you please tell me the states of the device driver? Do you have
> schedule on it?

Nothing has changed since my last announcement to the linux-wireless list
regarding the rt2800 drivers.
That means that the drivers are not ready, and I have abandonded all schedules
which could indicate when the first test version of the driver can be released.

Mattias Nissler has joined the rt2800 development party, so I really hope
he has some fresh ideas an how to get the driver development forward again.

Ivo

2008-09-22 21:18:49

by Ivo Van Doorn