2008-09-28 16:38:04

by Peter Chant

Subject: SMC wireless card, unknown Atheros/Accton chipset?

Chaps,

hope this is the right place. I have a SMCWPCI-G2 EU wireless card (PCI) that
does not seem to be recognised by the ath5k driver. It is a 802.11g card but
I tried the ath9k driver for luck, that did not work nor did the madwifi
drivers.

Output from lspci -v:

00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Unknown device 001d
(rev 01)
Subsystem: Accton Technology Corporation Unknown device b203
Memory at e2010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]

Thoughts?

Pete

--
Peter Chant
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

2008-09-28 17:18:58

by Nick Kossifidis

2008/9/28 Peter Chant <[email protected]>:
> Chaps,
>
> hope this is the right place. I have a SMCWPCI-G2 EU wireless card (PCI) that
> does not seem to be recognised by the ath5k driver. It is a 802.11g card but
> I tried the ath9k driver for luck, that did not work nor did the madwifi
> drivers.
>
> Output from lspci -v:
>
> 00:0b.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. Unknown device 001d
> (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Accton Technology Corporation Unknown device b203
> Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 5
> Memory at e2010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
> Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
>

> Thoughts?
>
> Pete

It's a 2417, i've already posted a patch that adds support for this
but didn't make it on wireless-testing yet.

I'll post some new patches ASAP ;-)

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)

2008-09-28 21:12:37

by Peter Chant

On Sunday 28 September 2008, Nick Kossifidis wrote:

> It's a 2417, i've already posted a patch that adds support for this
> but didn't make it on wireless-testing yet.
>
> I'll post some new patches ASAP ;-)

Thanks. I ususally stay a nice distance away from the bleeding edge, I'll
have to investigate.

I'm a bit of a wireless newbie. Do you mind me asking whether it is likely to
support being an access point? I noticed that in general cards don't work as
access points, is it a chipset limitation or is it just a whole load of work
for something that is not much in demand?

I think I'll sidestep the access point issue by getting a wireless router.

Thanks again,

Pete

--
Peter Chant
http://www.petezilla.co.uk

2008-09-29 08:58:49

by Michael Renzmann

Hi.

Peter Chant wrote:
> I'm a bit of a wireless newbie. Do you mind me asking whether it is
> likely to support being an access point? I noticed that in general
> cards don't work as access points, is it a chipset limitation or is
> it just a whole load of work for something that is not much in demand?

It's currently a limitation of mac80211. Changing that is work in progress
for mac80211, and there is an experimental patch available for ath5k that
enable the driver part of AP support. The patch was posted here just a few
days ago [1].

Bye, Mike

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.drivers.ath5k.devel/1240