2022-11-12 23:31:24

by Ray Jantz

Subject: [BUG REPORT] mt76: LED not working on ASUS AC51 USB (mt7610U)

Hi,
Below is a bug I submitted on Suse bugzilla - they said I should it
submit it to linux-wireless.

LED not working on ASUS AC51 wireless USB adapter (MT7610U chipset)
using Mediatek driver

The activity LED on my ASUS AC51 wireless USB adapter does not flash when there is link activity. Everything else works - the adapter connects to wireless networks, but the LED never flashes. The LED works fine in Windows 10.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Plug ASUS AC51 adapter into a USB port.
2. No need to install a driver (driver is in-kernel)
3.(Optional) reboot
4. Connect to wireless network.
5. Open a browser and bring up a web page.
Actual Results:
The activity LED on the AC51 never flashes even though there is network activity.

Expected Results:
The activity LED on the AC51 should flash when there is network activity.

The OS is Opensuse Tumbleweed 6.0.5-1-default.

The info from lsusb is:

ASUSTek Computer, Inc. AC51 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wireless Adapter [Mediatek MT7610U]

Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0b05:17d1 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. AC51 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wireless Adapter [Mediatek MT7610U]

I have checked the kernel config file and CONFIG_MT76_LEDS=y is set.

2022-11-13 20:09:16

by James

Sounds like the driver should at least create the /sys directories.

Nov. 13, 2022 13:57:27 Ray Jantz <[email protected]>:

> I thought that article looked promising, but the only directories in
> /sys/class/leds are
>
> input0::capslock
> input0::numlock
> input0::scrrolllock
> mmc0::
> platform::mute
> tpacpi::thinklight
>
> so there doesn't seem to be anything for the mt76 driver.
>

> On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 7:41 PM James <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>> Try some this stuff:
>> https://www.topbug.net/blog/2015/01/13/control-the-led-on-a-usb-wifi-adapter-on-linux/

2022-11-14 14:08:12

by Lorenzo Bianconi

> Hi,
> Below is a bug I submitted on Suse bugzilla - they said I should it submit
> it to linux-wireless.
>
> LED not working on ASUS AC51 wireless USB adapter (MT7610U chipset) using
> Mediatek driver
>
> The activity LED on my ASUS AC51 wireless USB adapter does not flash when there is link activity. Everything else works - the adapter connects to wireless networks, but the LED never flashes. The LED works fine in Windows 10.
>
> Reproducible: Always
>
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Plug ASUS AC51 adapter into a USB port.
> 2. No need to install a driver (driver is in-kernel)
> 3.(Optional) reboot
> 4. Connect to wireless network.
> 5. Open a browser and bring up a web page.
> Actual Results:
> The activity LED on the AC51 never flashes even though there is network activity.
>
> Expected Results:
> The activity LED on the AC51 should flash when there is network activity.
>
> The OS is Opensuse Tumbleweed 6.0.5-1-default.
>
> The info from lsusb is:
>
> ASUSTek Computer, Inc. AC51 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wireless Adapter [Mediatek MT7610U]
>
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0b05:17d1 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. AC51 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wireless Adapter [Mediatek MT7610U]
>
> I have checked the kernel config file and CONFIG_MT76_LEDS=y is set.

In the current codebase mt76_leds is only supported for mmio devices since
afaik mac80211 requires the driver led callbacks to be atomic while usb
configuration path can't run in atomic context.
I will work on a solution to overcome this problem.

Regards,
Lorenzo

Attachments:
(No filename) (1.52 kB)