2009-07-22 13:15:27

by Phattanon Duangdara

Subject: Update for regulatory database on 5GHz band for Thailand (TH)

National Telecommunication Commisions of Thailand has announce new
regulatory about 5GHz for RLAN last year.

But I found that Linux Wireless Regulatory Database not get updated.

Reference in Thai Language:
http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2551/E/042/64.PDF
(Partly in english and reference to ITU/FCC documents, I think it
quite easy to understand)

How can this get update on Regulatory Database ?

2009-07-22 13:30:53

by John W. Linville

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 08:07:21PM +0700, Phattanon Duangdara wrote:
> National Telecommunication Commisions of Thailand has announce new
> regulatory about 5GHz for RLAN last year.
>
> But I found that Linux Wireless Regulatory Database not get updated.
>
> Reference in Thai Language:
> http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2551/E/042/64.PDF
> (Partly in english and reference to ITU/FCC documents, I think it
> quite easy to understand)
>
> How can this get update on Regulatory Database ?

What a beautiful font! :-)

While there is enough English/numbers there that I can probably judge
what it means, I'd feel a lot better if someone else (perhaps you)
submitted a patch against the tree here:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-regdb.git

Thanks!

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2009-07-22 16:41:59

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM, David Quan<[email protected]> wrote:
> I am not sure what the question is here.
> Our windows driver already have 5G turn on for Thailand.
> Are you stating that it is not on the Linux Ath9K?

David, just a heads up, a public list is being CC'd here.

In the db.txt (from wireless-regdb) we currently have TH mapped as:

country TH:
(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)

This came from the regpair TH was mapped to, which does differ from
FCC3_WORLD. TH was mapped to NULL1_WORLD which explains the lack of 5
GHz on TH on db.txt.

> In Windows code, it is Thailand is mapped to FCC3_WORLD.

OK this needs to be updated and the regulatory database as well. Only
these countries map to FCC3_WORLD currently in ath.ko (the shared
module between ath5k, ath9k and ar9170):

{CTRY_BRAZIL, FCC3_WORLD, "BR"},
{CTRY_SOUTH_AFRICA, FCC3_WORLD, "ZA"},
{CTRY_SRI_LANKA, FCC3_WORLD, "LK"},

To get TH to map to FCC3_WORLD we need a one line change to ath.ko
code and to the public db.txt to change to use the same regulatory
information as "BR", "ZA", and "LK":

country TH:
(2402 - 2482 @ 20), (N/A, 20)
(5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
(5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
(5490 - 5710 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
(5735 - 5835 @ 20), (3, 30)

I'll send the respective patch if you ACK TH should map to the above.

Luis

---

Below are BR, ZA and LK:

country BR:
(2402 - 2482 @ 20), (N/A, 20)
(5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
(5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
(5490 - 5710 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
(5735 - 5835 @ 20), (3, 30)

country ZA:
(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
(5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
(5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
(5490 - 5710 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
(5735 - 5835 @ 20), (3, 30)

country LK:
(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
(5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
(5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
(5490 - 5710 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
(5735 - 5835 @ 20), (3, 30)

2009-07-23 07:57:49

by Phattanon Duangdara

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 11:41 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 9:27 AM, David Quan<[email protected]> wrote:
>> I am not sure what the question is here.
>> Our windows driver already have 5G turn on for Thailand.
>> Are you stating that it is not on the Linux Ath9K?
>
> David, just a heads up, a public list is being CC'd here.
>
> In the db.txt (from wireless-regdb) we currently have TH mapped as:
>
> country TH:
> ? ? ? ?(2402 - 2482 @ 40), (N/A, 20)
>
> This came from the regpair TH was mapped to, which does differ from
> FCC3_WORLD. TH was mapped to NULL1_WORLD which explains the lack of 5
> GHz on TH on db.txt.
>
>> In Windows code, it is Thailand is mapped to FCC3_WORLD.
>
> OK this needs to be updated and the regulatory database as well. Only
> these countries map to FCC3_WORLD currently in ath.ko (the shared
> module between ath5k, ath9k and ar9170):
>
> ? ? ? ?{CTRY_BRAZIL, FCC3_WORLD, "BR"},
> ? ? ? ?{CTRY_SOUTH_AFRICA, FCC3_WORLD, "ZA"},
> ? ? ? ?{CTRY_SRI_LANKA, FCC3_WORLD, "LK"},
>
> To get TH to map to FCC3_WORLD we need a one line change to ath.ko
> code and to the public db.txt to change to use the same regulatory
> information as "BR", "ZA", and "LK":
>
> country TH:
> ? ? ? ?(2402 - 2482 @ 20), (N/A, 20)
> ? ? ? ?(5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
> ? ? ? ?(5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
> ? ? ? ?(5490 - 5710 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
> ? ? ? ?(5735 - 5835 @ 20), (3, 30)
>
> I'll send the respective patch if you ACK TH should map to the above.
>
> ?Luis

Yes, And some of windows drivers already enable 5GHz for Thailand.
So please update for us.

Thanks,
Phattanon

2009-07-22 16:16:56

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Adding Michael and David,

any thoughts on this Thailand regulatory change?

Luis

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 7:04 AM, Phattanon Duangdara<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM, John W. Linville<[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 08:07:21PM +0700, Phattanon Duangdara wrote:
>>> National Telecommunication Commisions of Thailand has announce new
>>> regulatory about 5GHz for RLAN last year.
>>>
>>> But I found that Linux Wireless Regulatory Database not get updated.
>>>
>>> Reference in Thai Language:
>>> http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2551/E/042/64.PDF
>>> (Partly in english and reference to ITU/FCC documents, I think it
>>> quite easy to understand)
>>>
>>> How can this get update on Regulatory Database ?
>>
>> What a beautiful font! :-)
>>
>> While there is enough English/numbers there that I can probably judge
>> what it means, I'd feel a lot better if someone else (perhaps you)
>> submitted a patch against the tree here:
>>
>>        git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-regdb.git
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> John
>> --
>> John W. Linville                Someday the world will need a hero, and you
>> [email protected]                  might be all we have.  Be ready.
>>                        –iva Honduras Libre!
>>

> Actually, NTC provide english translated documents, but for thism, it
> missing from their website. I already contact NTC to get those
> document in english for reference and clarification. Later models of
> some Laptops sell in Thailand already has 5GHz enabled radio.
>
> For now I will try to update db against tree from my knowledge.
>
> Phattanon

by Holger Schurig

> Reference in Thai Language:
> http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2551/E/042/64.PDF
> (Partly in english and reference to ITU/FCC documents, I think
> it quite easy to understand)

While I find your writing aesthetically pleasing, I'd not dare to
extract regulatory data out of a document where I can only read
here and there something. I'm not sure if others are more brave
than me :-)

Could you describe what exactly changed?

--
M&N Solutions GmbH Ein Unternehmen der Datagroup AG
Holger Schurig

Handelsregister Friedberg, HRB 5903
Gesch?ftsf?hrer: P.Schrittenlocher

2009-07-23 09:41:10

by Johannes Berg

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 10:31 +0200, Holger Schurig wrote:
> > (5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
> > (5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS
>
> Is it an error to have the same frequency listed twice (once in
> the "from" column, once in the "till" column? And if yes, does
> frequency 5250 get's assigned "(3, 17)" or "(3, 20), DFS" ???

It's not, they can even overlap, and probably need to in this case.

See the discussion about new regulatory rule interpretation a couple of
months ago.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (801.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2009-07-23 08:30:37

by Holger Schurig

> (5170 - 5250 @ 20), (3, 17)
> (5250 - 5330 @ 20), (3, 20), DFS

Is it an error to have the same frequency listed twice (once in
the "from" column, once in the "till" column? And if yes, does
frequency 5250 get's assigned "(3, 17)" or "(3, 20), DFS" ???

If it's an error, then maybe the regdb-compiler should emit a
warning about this.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de

2009-07-22 14:11:59

by Phattanon Duangdara

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 8:19 PM, John W. Linville<[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 08:07:21PM +0700, Phattanon Duangdara wrote:
>> National Telecommunication Commisions of Thailand has announce new
>> regulatory about 5GHz for RLAN last year.
>>
>> But I found that Linux Wireless Regulatory Database not get updated.
>>
>> Reference in Thai Language:
>> http://www.ratchakitcha.soc.go.th/DATA/PDF/2551/E/042/64.PDF
>> (Partly in english and reference to ITU/FCC documents, I think it
>> quite easy to understand)
>>
>> How can this get update on Regulatory Database ?
>
> What a beautiful font! :-)
>
> While there is enough English/numbers there that I can probably judge
> what it means, I'd feel a lot better if someone else (perhaps you)
> submitted a patch against the tree here:
>
> ? ? ? ?git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/linville/wireless-regdb.git
>
> Thanks!
>
> John
> --
> John W. Linville ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Someday the world will need a hero, and you
> [email protected] ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?might be all we have. ?Be ready.
> ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ??iva Honduras Libre!

Actually, NTC provide english translated documents, but for thism, it
missing from their website. I already contact NTC to get those
document in english for reference and clarification. Later models of
some Laptops sell in Thailand already has 5GHz enabled radio.

For now I will try to update db against tree from my knowledge.

Phattanon

2009-07-22 16:27:08

by David Quan