2007-09-24 19:09:05

by Luis R. Rodriguez

Subject: Guide on how to submit patches for linux-wireless

Here's a new guide to help developers write and submit patches
specifically for linux-wireless:

http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/SubmittingPatches

Luis

2007-09-24 19:39:47

by Larry Finger

Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Here's a new guide to help developers write and submit patches
> specifically for linux-wireless:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/SubmittingPatches

Very useful contribution. I have only two comments: (1) The pop-up above developers needs to be
taller. The entry for 'Testing' overwrites the Developers tab on my machine, and (2) patches,
particularly large ones, need to be run through scripts/checkpatch.pl. It is better to find the
"errors" yourself than have Andrew or Jeff point them out publicly.

Larry

2007-09-25 18:17:08

by Johannes Berg

On Tue, 2007-09-25 at 18:50 +0200, maximilian attems wrote:

> please drop the recommendation of the patch 0.
> it is a pain not to have it in the start of a serries in git.

I disagree. 0/N is good for giving an overview over the patch series. It
shouldn't contain info that must be in git, but I think it should be
present unless the series is obvious.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (190.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-09-24 19:42:16

by Johannes Berg

On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 14:39 -0500, Larry Finger wrote:

> (1) The pop-up above developers needs to be
> taller. The entry for 'Testing' overwrites the Developers tab on my machine

Heh. Same here, but I think we should rather remove some items, this is
intended as a "first contact" menu, those who dig into more detail don't
necessarily need everything on the menu.

johannes

Attachments:
signature.asc (190.00 B)
This is a digitally signed message part

2007-09-25 16:51:30

by maximilian attems

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 03:09:03PM -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> Here's a new guide to help developers write and submit patches
> specifically for linux-wireless:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/SubmittingPatches
>
> Luis

please drop the recommendation of the patch 0.
it is a pain not to have it in the start of a serries in git.

thanks

--
maks

2007-09-25 11:41:11

by Krzysztof Halasa

"Michael Renzmann" <[email protected]> writes:

> One thing that probably should be added is an explanation of the
> "Changes-licensed-under:" tag that is used in some patches.

I'm not sure it's that easy.

If a patch doesn't create a derivative work (can't be copyrighted)
the licence doesn't matter/exist.

If a patch creates a derivative work then the author can distribute
under a different licence, but the new licence must be written into
the source file being patched anyway.
--
Krzysztof Halasa

2007-09-25 05:04:14

by Michael Renzmann

Hi.

> Here's a new guide to help developers write and submit patches
> specifically for linux-wireless:
>
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/SubmittingPatches

Cool, thanks.

One thing that probably should be added is an explanation of the
"Changes-licensed-under:" tag that is used in some patches.

Bye, Mike

2007-09-24 20:27:07

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On 9/24/07, Larry Finger <[email protected]> wrote:
> Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> > Here's a new guide to help developers write and submit patches
> > specifically for linux-wireless:
> >
> > http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/SubmittingPatches
> >

> Very useful contribution.

Thanks.

> I have only two comments:

> (1) The pop-up above developers needs to be
> taller. The entry for 'Testing' overwrites the Developers tab on my machine, and

I've deleted testing from the navigation bar for now as that is an
incomplete doc.

> (2) patches,
> particularly large ones, need to be run through scripts/checkpatch.pl. It is better to find the
> "errors" yourself than have Andrew or Jeff point them out publicly.

Added, thanks.

Luis