2013-02-11 17:33:59

by Dan Williams

Subject: brcmsmac and IBSS

Hi,

Had a bug report that a 4313 doesn't support IBSS mode, and dug around
and found out that brcmsmac only supports STA mode. Is that really true
and there's no IBSS support in the smac driver? Is that a firmware or
driver limitation? Seems odd that this got missed during the merge
reviews as IBSS is pretty basic functionality that all the kernel wifi
drivers have had for 5 or 7 years.

Dan

2013-02-12 13:26:46

by Kalle Valo

Subject: Re: brcmsmac and IBSS

Dan Williams <[email protected]> writes:

> Had a bug report that a 4313 doesn't support IBSS mode, and dug around
> and found out that brcmsmac only supports STA mode. Is that really true
> and there's no IBSS support in the smac driver? Is that a firmware or
> driver limitation? Seems odd that this got missed during the merge
> reviews as IBSS is pretty basic functionality that all the kernel wifi
> drivers have had for 5 or 7 years.

Are you saying that we should require Ad-Hoc mode from all drivers? I
hope not, I consider it as a niche feature. It also has it's own
problems, power save and encryption at least come to my mind.

--
Kalle Valo

2013-02-20 18:37:39

by W. Trevor King

Subject: brcmsmac and AP mode

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 08:05:10PM +0100, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> I started to add AP mode support to brcmsmac. The hardware is
> capable of all the stuff needed. At least the firmware extracted
> from the proprietary driver is also capable of everything needed,
> but I think the normal firmware has the same features. At least the
> BCM43224 is used in standalone APs.

I'd like AP mode for my BCM4313, so I was digging through the list
archives trying to figure out the current situation. As far as I can
tell, b43 still doesn't support the BCM4313 [1], so Hauke's brcmsmac
adjustments seem like my best option. An older post says they're in
wireless-testing [2], but I don't see them grepping though the logs:

$ git log --oneline -S NL80211_IFTYPE_AP wireless-testing/master \
-- drivers/net/wireless/brcm80211/brcmsmac/
1525662 brcm80211: smac: changed check to confirm STA only support
5b435de net: wireless: add brcm80211 drivers

Can someone point me to the code Hauke was referencing?

I'd also be interested in the b43 support for the BCM4313, but

$ git log -S 4727 wireless-testing/master -- drivers/net/wireless/b43/

turns up no commits at all.

My only kernel experience is with some limited Comedi patches, so
apologies if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

Thanks,
Trevor

[1]: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel.wireless.general/76100
[2]: http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43#Supported_devices
which claims 14e4:4727 is a WIP

(No filename) (1.60 kB)
signature.asc (836.00 B)
OpenPGP digital signature

by Hauke Mehrtens

On 02/11/2013 06:33 PM, Dan Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Had a bug report that a 4313 doesn't support IBSS mode, and dug around
> and found out that brcmsmac only supports STA mode. Is that really true
> and there's no IBSS support in the smac driver? Is that a firmware or
> driver limitation? Seems odd that this got missed during the merge
> reviews as IBSS is pretty basic functionality that all the kernel wifi
> drivers have had for 5 or 7 years.
>
> Dan

I started to add AP mode support to brcmsmac. The hardware is capable of
all the stuff needed. At least the firmware extracted from the
proprietary driver is also capable of everything needed, but I think the
normal firmware has the same features. At least the BCM43224 is used in
standalone APs.

Hauke

2013-02-20 20:53:13

by W. Trevor King

Subject: Re: brcmsmac and AP mode

On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 08:28:47PM +0100, Hauke Mehrtens wrote:
> brcmsmac does not support AP mode, in [1] I was talking about b43,
> here I am talking about planing to add AP mode to brcmsmac, there is
> currently no code available.

Thanks. Looking through the post again, it is pretty clear you were
talking about b43; I just got confused after a bunch of reading :p.

I know absolutely nothing about wireless modules at the moment, but
I'm happy to help/test/…. I'll start reading through the source for
b43 and brcmsmac, but if anyone wants to shed some light on a useful
direction, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,
Trevor

(No filename) (781.00 B)