2015-11-16 20:00:25

by John W. Linville

Subject: linux-wireless rebased (probably for the last time) on 4.4-rc1

The wireless-testing tree has been rebased on top of 4.4-rc1. The
current head of the tree is eced3b090878ddba643bbed599e6edea4ad90f49.
Please update any downstream trees accordingly!

It has been almost a year since I turned-over wireless maintenance
duties to Johannes and Kalle. At that time I agreed to continue
maintaining the wireless-testing tree for the duration of 2015 to help
those that were still relying on it. The end of 2015 is coming soon,
and with it I intend to stop maintaining wireless-testing.

If you are still relying on wireless-testing, then I implore you to
find another option to satisfy your needs. If someone would like to
continue maintaining wireless-testing yourself, then please contact
me and I will attempt to assist you in such a transition.

Thanks for all the fish!

John
--
John W. Linville Someday the world will need a hero, and you
[email protected] might be all we have. Be ready.

2015-11-17 14:07:18

by Kalle Valo

"John W. Linville" <[email protected]> writes:

> The wireless-testing tree has been rebased on top of 4.4-rc1. The
> current head of the tree is eced3b090878ddba643bbed599e6edea4ad90f49.
> Please update any downstream trees accordingly!
>
> It has been almost a year since I turned-over wireless maintenance
> duties to Johannes and Kalle. At that time I agreed to continue
> maintaining the wireless-testing tree for the duration of 2015 to help
> those that were still relying on it. The end of 2015 is coming soon,
> and with it I intend to stop maintaining wireless-testing.
>
> If you are still relying on wireless-testing, then I implore you to
> find another option to satisfy your needs. If someone would like to
> continue maintaining wireless-testing yourself, then please contact
> me and I will attempt to assist you in such a transition.
>
> Thanks for all the fish!

Thank you John. I have been using wireless-testing in my main laptop for
god knows how many years and I hate to see it go. I consider it as the
safest way to test the latest wireless code as it's just the latest -rc
release from Linux plus mac80211 and wireless-drivers trees. linux-next
is just too experimental for me, I don't want that anywhere near my
laptop :) It would be interesting to know what others think about
wireless-testing and how much users that tree really has?

I hope we can find some solution and wireless-testing continues to
exist. Otherwise testing latest wireless code will become more
difficult.

--
Kalle Valo

2015-11-18 23:44:45

by Bruno Antunes

On 17 November 2015 at 14:07, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:

> "John W. Linville" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > The wireless-testing tree has been rebased on top of 4.4-rc1. The
> > current head of the tree is eced3b090878ddba643bbed599e6edea4ad90f49.
> > Please update any downstream trees accordingly!
> >
> > It has been almost a year since I turned-over wireless maintenance
> > duties to Johannes and Kalle. At that time I agreed to continue
> > maintaining the wireless-testing tree for the duration of 2015 to help
> > those that were still relying on it. The end of 2015 is coming soon,
> > and with it I intend to stop maintaining wireless-testing.
> >
> > If you are still relying on wireless-testing, then I implore you to
> > find another option to satisfy your needs. If someone would like to
> > continue maintaining wireless-testing yourself, then please contact
> > me and I will attempt to assist you in such a transition.
> >
> > Thanks for all the fish!
>
> Thank you John. I have been using wireless-testing in my main laptop for
> god knows how many years and I hate to see it go. I consider it as the
> safest way to test the latest wireless code as it's just the latest -rc
> release from Linux plus mac80211 and wireless-drivers trees. linux-next
> is just too experimental for me, I don't want that anywhere near my
> laptop :) It would be interesting to know what others think about
> wireless-testing and how much users that tree really has?

Apparently not many...
I’ve been using it for over a year and I agree that Its a very convenient
way for getting the latest code.

> I hope we can find some solution and wireless-testing continues to
> exist. Otherwise testing latest wireless code will become more
> difficult.

Is this tree very difficult to maintain?
In case there are no volunteers what will be future options for using
the latest wireless code?
I think I still don't understand the all developer process. The
wireless wiki [1]
says the diagram is out of date, thats obvious, since wireless tree is now
wireless-drivers and the maintainer is Kalle.
wireless-drivers ----> net -----> linux
So what is the process for wireless-testing tree, the merge of linux,
mac80211and wireless-drivers trees?

Regards,
Bruno

[1] https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/developers/process

> --
> Kalle Valo

by Bob Copeland

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 11:44:43PM +0000, Bruno Antunes wrote:
> On 17 November 2015 at 14:07, Kalle Valo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > I hope we can find some solution and wireless-testing continues to
> > exist. Otherwise testing latest wireless code will become more
> > difficult.
>
> Is this tree very difficult to maintain?
> In case there are no volunteers what will be future options for using
> the latest wireless code?

I also tend to use wireless-testing as the main kernel on my laptop, and
find it handy at times to have both recent drivers and mac80211 changes
in the same tree without resorting to backports or merging the trees
myself. Not much problem doing those, but if I'm going to do it anyway...
might as well share.

So, I'd be willing to help keep it running for a time after said sunset
date.

> says the diagram is out of date, thats obvious, since wireless tree is now
> wireless-drivers and the maintainer is Kalle.
> wireless-drivers ----> net -----> linux
> So what is the process for wireless-testing tree, the merge of linux,
> mac80211and wireless-drivers trees?

mac80211 and wireless-drivers go into net, wireless-testing doesn't
go upstream; it's exactly just for testing. That said, it's an easy
base to work against since all the bits are reasonably up-to-date.

--
Bob Copeland %% http://bobcopeland.com/