2008-12-24 09:40:48

by W. van den Akker

Subject: Still problems to get ath9k in accessmode. Kernel hangs

Hi,

I have tested with the latest kernel 2.6.27.10 and compat-wireless 22-12-2008.
I have a dual core system (Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz) and use hostapd
0.6.6.

I have build the kernel, compiled the compat-wireless and did a make install.
Make unload didnt work because some drivers were in use (mac80211).
First problem arises, a rmmod ath9k hangs the kernel. No message of what so
ever in the log or to stdout.

Rebooted the system (hostapd still disabled). Iwconfig shows:
wlan0 IEEE 802.11bgn ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=27 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
Encryption key:off
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

If I start hostapd (by hand or from init.d) the kernel hangs with no trace of
such thing. Hostapd shows in stdout (with -dd):
Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
ctrl_interface_group=0
Opening raw packet socket for ifindex 1688
BSS count 1, BSSID mask ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff (0 bits)
SIOCGIWRANGE: WE(compiled)=22 WE(source)=21 enc_capa=0xf
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=1 freq=2412 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=2 freq=2417 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=3 freq=2422 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=4 freq=2427 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=5 freq=2432 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=6 freq=2437 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=7 freq=2442 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=8 freq=2447 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=9 freq=2452 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=10 freq=2457 MHz
Allowed channel: mode=1 chan=11 freq=2462 MHz
Failed to update rate sets in kernel module
RATE[0] rate=10 flags=0x2
RATE[1] rate=20 flags=0x2
RATE[2] rate=55 flags=0x2
RATE[3] rate=110 flags=0x2
RATE[4] rate=60 flags=0x0
RATE[5] rate=90 flags=0x0
RATE[6] rate=120 flags=0x0
RATE[7] rate=180 flags=0x0
RATE[8] rate=240 flags=0x0
RATE[9] rate=360 flags=0x0
RATE[10] rate=480 flags=0x0
RATE[11] rate=540 flags=0x0
Passive scanning not supported
Flushing old station entries

I have tried in the past several kernelversions and compat-wireless versions
and all give the same problem.
So I think it is hardware (system) related and ap-mode.
How can I trace the problem? Default I get no entries in any log.

lspci -vv shows
04:08.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn
Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Linksys Device 0061
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 168, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
Region 0: Memory at d0310000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] #80 [0000]
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

Can somebody provide some help. I am struggeling to get the card into ap mode.

TIA,
Willem

believed to be clean.

2008-12-24 17:45:46

by Luis R. Rodriguez

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 1:40 AM, W. van den Akker <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tested with the latest kernel 2.6.27.10 and compat-wireless 22-12-2008.
> I have a dual core system (Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz) and use hostapd
> 0.6.6.
>
> I have build the kernel, compiled the compat-wireless and did a make install.
> Make unload didnt work because some drivers were in use (mac80211).

After it fails to unload do

lsmod | grep mac80211

to see which ones are still loaded and depending on mac80211.

> First problem arises, a rmmod ath9k hangs the kernel. No message of what so
> ever in the log or to stdout.

Please do:

modprobe -l ath9k
modprobe -l mac80211

To ensure the right drivers are loaded.

lsmod | grep mac80211
lsmod | grep ath

Luis

2008-12-24 10:07:46

by Jouni Malinen

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 10:40:38AM +0100, W. van den Akker wrote:

> I have tested with the latest kernel 2.6.27.10 and compat-wireless 22-12-2008.
> I have a dual core system (Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz) and use hostapd
> 0.6.6.

I've never tested this with compat-wireless, but the wireless-testing
version seems to be working fine in my tests.

> I have build the kernel, compiled the compat-wireless and did a make install.
> Make unload didnt work because some drivers were in use (mac80211).
> First problem arises, a rmmod ath9k hangs the kernel. No message of what so
> ever in the log or to stdout.

Would you happen to have another host available for storing the logs? I
have been able to receive debug messages from most crashes with
netconsole (see Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt).

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA

2009-01-06 20:32:12

by W. van den Akker

On Tuesday 06 January 2009 15:52:45 you wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009, you wrote:

> > > Just to make sure I understood this correctly.. Does this happen with
> > > just a single association station (your laptop)? What are you referring
> > > to with a "session"? Just another program using network (i.e., no new
> > > wireless associations, etc.)? As far as the ath9k driver is concerned,
> > > new applications (e.g., new TCP connection) should not really matter
> > > much.. If you have IEEE 802.11n enabled, could you please run a test
> > > with it disabled to make sure this is not related to frame aggregation?
> > >
> > > As far as getting any output from the system is concerned, the next
> > > step could be to see if NMI watchdog would be able to provide any help.
> > > Please take a look at Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt in the kernel
> > > source code and see if you could use that on the AP to get some output
> > > when the system hangs (running without X on console to make sure you
> > > see the output).
> >
> > Hi Jouni,
> >
> > Yes you understood correctly. Only a laptop, start a browser then start
> > Kmail over the same wireless connection. Then it hangs. This is always
> > reproducable. There are also other sorts or hangups (for example when
> > starting hostapd, but that is not always reproducable when it happens).
> >
> > I will try today the watchdog-suggestion. Hope that it will provide some
> > help.
>
> I have enabled the NMI_watchdog (see below)
> CPU0 CPU1
> 0: 322372 0 IO-APIC-edge timer
> 1: 12 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 4: 101 0 IO-APIC-edge serial
> 6: 3 0 IO-APIC-edge floppy
> 7: 0 0 IO-APIC-edge parport0
> 8: 2 0 IO-APIC-edge rtc0
> 9: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi acpi
> 12: 4 0 IO-APIC-edge i8042
> 16: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb1
> 17: 6282 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi eth1
> 18: 364152 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ata_piix, ata_piix, eth0
> 19: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb2
> 21: 1727 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ath
> 23: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb3
> 27: 89 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi aic79xx
> NMI: 322364 322307 Non-maskable interrupts
> LOC: 0 322302 Local timer interrupts
> RES: 10695 24691 Rescheduling interrupts
> CAL: 36 112 Function call interrupts
> TLB: 2371 3165 TLB shootdowns
> TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
> SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
> ERR: 0
> MIS: 0
>
> However, after starting a internet session and Kmail session the server
> hangs again without any output. Does the NMI-handler not process per CPU?
> So if one CPU hangs, the other would still proceed?
>
> I have no 802.11n enabled, nor X.
>
> This means I think the system halted hard 'hlt-instruction'
>
> Any further suggestion? I am little bit hopeless now. I have placed the PCI
> card into another slot, no result.

Some additional information:
I have booted the server at approx 16:00. Hostapd was started at boot-time.
After 5 hours without any connection from any computers the server hangs.

believed to be clean.

2009-01-06 07:57:49

by W. van den Akker

On Monday 05 January 2009, you wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:44:20PM +0100, W. van den Akker wrote:
> > I have tested on the server with the latest wireless-testing the past
> > days (2.6.28-rc9-wl). The wireless-testing looks somewhat more stable
> > then the compat-wireless.
> >
> > I have also installed the netconsole module to watch any kernel prints.
> > After running hostapd (v0.6.6) from command line the AP is
> > up-and-running. Then if I connect with the laptop (tested it with kernel
> > .26 and .28 on the laptop) I get a connection and can start a browser en
> > explore the internet. If I start a second session (Kmail or second
> > browser) the
> > server hangs within a minute. Leaving again no trace on the console,
> > hostapd-log or netconsole.
>
> Just to make sure I understood this correctly.. Does this happen with
> just a single association station (your laptop)? What are you referring
> to with a "session"? Just another program using network (i.e., no new
> wireless associations, etc.)? As far as the ath9k driver is concerned,
> new applications (e.g., new TCP connection) should not really matter
> much.. If you have IEEE 802.11n enabled, could you please run a test
> with it disabled to make sure this is not related to frame aggregation?
>
> As far as getting any output from the system is concerned, the next step
> could be to see if NMI watchdog would be able to provide any help.
> Please take a look at Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt in the kernel
> source code and see if you could use that on the AP to get some output
> when the system hangs (running without X on console to make sure you see
> the output).

Hi Jouni,

Yes you understood correctly. Only a laptop, start a browser then start Kmail
over the same wireless connection. Then it hangs. This is always
reproducable. There are also other sorts or hangups (for example when
starting hostapd, but that is not always reproducable when it happens).

I will try today the watchdog-suggestion. Hope that it will provide some help.

To be continued....

gr,
Willem

believed to be clean.

2009-01-05 09:41:08

by Jouni Malinen

On Thu, Jan 01, 2009 at 02:44:20PM +0100, W. van den Akker wrote:

> I have tested on the server with the latest wireless-testing the past days
> (2.6.28-rc9-wl). The wireless-testing looks somewhat more stable then the
> compat-wireless.
>
> I have also installed the netconsole module to watch any kernel prints. After
> running hostapd (v0.6.6) from command line the AP is up-and-running. Then if I
> connect with the laptop (tested it with kernel .26 and .28 on the laptop) I
> get a connection and can start a browser en explore the internet. If I start
> a second session (Kmail or second browser) the
> server hangs within a minute. Leaving again no trace on the console,
> hostapd-log or netconsole.

Just to make sure I understood this correctly.. Does this happen with
just a single association station (your laptop)? What are you referring
to with a "session"? Just another program using network (i.e., no new
wireless associations, etc.)? As far as the ath9k driver is concerned,
new applications (e.g., new TCP connection) should not really matter
much.. If you have IEEE 802.11n enabled, could you please run a test
with it disabled to make sure this is not related to frame aggregation?

As far as getting any output from the system is concerned, the next step
could be to see if NMI watchdog would be able to provide any help.
Please take a look at Documentation/nmi_watchdog.txt in the kernel
source code and see if you could use that on the AP to get some output
when the system hangs (running without X on console to make sure you see
the output).

--
Jouni Malinen PGP id EFC895FA

2009-01-01 13:44:33

by W. van den Akker

Jouni Malinen <j <at> w1.fi> writes:

> I've never tested this with compat-wireless, but the wireless-testing
> version seems to be working fine in my tests.
>
> > I have build the kernel, compiled the compat-wireless and did a make
install.
> > Make unload didnt work because some drivers were in use (mac80211).
> > First problem arises, a rmmod ath9k hangs the kernel. No message of what
so
> > ever in the log or to stdout.
>
> Would you happen to have another host available for storing the logs? I
> have been able to receive debug messages from most crashes with
> netconsole (see Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt).

I have tested on the server with the latest wireless-testing the past days
(2.6.28-rc9-wl). The wireless-testing looks somewhat more stable then the
compat-wireless.

I have also installed the netconsole module to watch any kernel prints. After
running hostapd (v0.6.6) from command line the AP is up-and-running. Then if I
connect with the laptop (tested it with kernel .26 and .28 on the laptop) I
get a connection and can start a browser en explore the internet. If I start
a second session (Kmail or second browser) the
server hangs within a minute. Leaving again no trace on the console,
hostapd-log or netconsole.
Only way to reset the server is switch off the power.
Its very frustrating because no information or what so ever can be found.

If I connect an internet radio (Musicpal) to the server there is no problem.
It stays stable for hours. If I also connect the laptop and start a browser
the server hangs again within minuts.

Its looks like if there is a second connection been set up the server hangs.

Anyone any clue how to investigate this??

Thanks,
Willem

believed to be clean.

2009-01-06 20:58:19

by Pat Erley

W. van den Akker wrote:
--- Snip ---

>> However, after starting a internet session and Kmail session the server
>> hangs again without any output. Does the NMI-handler not process per CPU?
>> So if one CPU hangs, the other would still proceed?
>>
>> I have no 802.11n enabled, nor X.
>>
>> This means I think the system halted hard 'hlt-instruction'
>>
>> Any further suggestion? I am little bit hopeless now. I have placed the PCI
>> card into another slot, no result.
>
> Some additional information:
> I have booted the server at approx 16:00. Hostapd was started at boot-time.
> After 5 hours without any connection from any computers the server hangs.

Just as a data point, I'm running master mode with ath9k on 64bit with
multiple clients and have no problems. Perhaps it's hardware version
related? Here's the info for my system:

kernel: 2.6.28-gentoo
compat-wireless-2.6: cedd75beb269e2b559a5174ee628ebd01f63a4040
wireless-testing: fd1dae5fbc7a260b0ddfab7d4939a766a82ef3f3
hostapd: 2c04820d80b5c489576cb735c3be8f026a035a5b

I have 80211n enabled for my device with this config:

ht_capab=[HT40-][SHORT-GI-40][DSSS_CCK-40]

my device:

Network controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5416 802.11a/b/g/n
Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)

phy0: Atheros AR5416 MAC/BB Rev:2 AR2133 RF Rev:81:
mem=0xffffc20000060000, irq=17

Currently I'm using my ps3, axim, laptop, and a netbook at the same
time, and have no disconnects. Any additional testing I could do that
might help you out, or more information I could provide you?

Pat Erley

2009-01-10 11:26:24

by W. van den Akker

On Wednesday 07 January 2009, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009, you wrote:
> > On Tuesday 06 January 2009 21:51:09 you wrote:
> > > W. van den Akker wrote:
> > > --- Snip ---

> > > Just as a data point, I'm running master mode with ath9k on 64bit with
> > > multiple clients and have no problems. Perhaps it's hardware version
> > > related? Here's the info for my system:
> > >
> > > kernel: 2.6.28-gentoo
> > > compat-wireless-2.6: cedd75beb269e2b559a5174ee628ebd01f63a4040
> > > wireless-testing: fd1dae5fbc7a260b0ddfab7d4939a766a82ef3f3
> > > hostapd: 2c04820d80b5c489576cb735c3be8f026a035a5b
> > >
> > > I have 80211n enabled for my device with this config:
> > >
> > > ht_capab=[HT40-][SHORT-GI-40][DSSS_CCK-40]
> > >
> > > my device:
> > >
> > > Network controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5416 802.11a/b/g/n
> > > Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
> > >
> > > phy0: Atheros AR5416 MAC/BB Rev:2 AR2133 RF Rev:81:
> > > mem=0xffffc20000060000, irq=17
> > >
> > > Currently I'm using my ps3, axim, laptop, and a netbook at the same
> > > time, and have no disconnects. Any additional testing I could do that
> > > might help you out, or more information I could provide you?
> >
> > My system:
> > kernel: 2.6.28-rc9-wl (wireless testing): 2.6.28-rc9-1-686-wl #1 SMP Fri
> > Jan 2 19:38:20 CET 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> > hostapd: 0.6.6
> > Have no 80211n enabled
> > Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 1024 KB
> >
> > my device:
> > 04:08.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn
> > Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
> > Subsystem: Linksys Device 0061
> > Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop-
> > ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
> > <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
> > Latency: 168, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
> > Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
> > Region 0: Memory at d0310000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
> > [size=64K] Capabilities: [40] #80 [0000]
> > Kernel driver in use: ath9k
> > Kernel modules: ath9k
> >
> > System hangsup depending on the number of devices or cennections are
> > opened: - only hostapd (no devices connected). system hangs after approx
> > 5 hours. (ifconfig shows wlan0 up)
> > - only a laptop with a browsing session, system did nog hang after a few
> > hours.
> > - only a laptop with a browsing session and kmail, system hangs directly.
> > No logging to console. Nmi watchdog enabled...
>
> I have tested today with the latest wireless testing 2.6.28-wl and tested
> with WPA and without WPA. It didnt make any difference.
>
> I am getting pretty hopeless now. Because nothing seems to work or give any
> progress.

Did some futher testing to exclude problems....
The wlan0 and eth1 are both part of a bridge. I have removed the eth1
interface so the the eth1-driver cannot interfer with the ath9k driver.
Also no result. The server still locks.

What is the right way to combine the eth1 and wlan0 into a bridge. Do I even
need a bridge? The hostapd.config says I must define a bridge when I use the
nl80211driver interface.
The bridge has an IP adress, wlan0 and eth1 are in the same subnet.

When hostapd is started I have some error-messages. Dont know if they can
hurt...
Failed to set CTS protect in kernel driver
Failed to set Short Slot Time option in kernel driver
Could not set preamble for kernel driver

believed to be clean.

2009-01-03 13:56:19

by W. van den Akker

On Thursday 01 January 2009, you wrote:
> Jouni Malinen <j <at> w1.fi> writes:
> > I've never tested this with compat-wireless, but the wireless-testing
> > version seems to be working fine in my tests.
> >
> > > I have build the kernel, compiled the compat-wireless and did a make
>
> install.
>
> > > Make unload didnt work because some drivers were in use (mac80211).
> > > First problem arises, a rmmod ath9k hangs the kernel. No message of
> > > what
>
> so
>
> > > ever in the log or to stdout.
> >
> > Would you happen to have another host available for storing the logs? I
> > have been able to receive debug messages from most crashes with
> > netconsole (see Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt).
>
> I have tested on the server with the latest wireless-testing the past days
> (2.6.28-rc9-wl). The wireless-testing looks somewhat more stable then the
> compat-wireless.
>
> I have also installed the netconsole module to watch any kernel prints.
> After running hostapd (v0.6.6) from command line the AP is up-and-running.
> Then if I connect with the laptop (tested it with kernel .26 and .28 on the
> laptop) I get a connection and can start a browser en explore the internet.
> If I start a second session (Kmail or second browser) the
> server hangs within a minute. Leaving again no trace on the console,
> hostapd-log or netconsole.
> Only way to reset the server is switch off the power.
> Its very frustrating because no information or what so ever can be found.
>
> If I connect an internet radio (Musicpal) to the server there is no
> problem. It stays stable for hours. If I also connect the laptop and start
> a browser the server hangs again within minuts.
>
> Its looks like if there is a second connection been set up the server
> hangs.

I have narrowed the problem down to the number of connections setted up in a
short time.
If a system (notebook, internetradio or what so ever) setup a number of
connections is a very short time (couple of seconds) the server crashes.

If I start Kmail on the notebook (with 5 mailboxes) the server crashes within
seconds. Its always reproduceble. If I change the broadcast on the
internetradio fast (for example 3 time with seconds between them) server
hangs.

All the server hang ups dont leave a trace in log or console what so ever.

Hope this gives any additional information.

gr,
Willem

believed to be clean.

2009-01-10 19:50:30

by Pat Erley

W. van den Akker wrote:

> Did some futher testing to exclude problems....
> The wlan0 and eth1 are both part of a bridge. I have removed the eth1
> interface so the the eth1-driver cannot interfer with the ath9k driver.
> Also no result. The server still locks.
>
> What is the right way to combine the eth1 and wlan0 into a bridge. Do I even
> need a bridge? The hostapd.config says I must define a bridge when I use the
> nl80211driver interface.
> The bridge has an IP adress, wlan0 and eth1 are in the same subnet.
>
> When hostapd is started I have some error-messages. Dont know if they can
> hurt...
> Failed to set CTS protect in kernel driver
> Failed to set Short Slot Time option in kernel driver
> Could not set preamble for kernel driver

I use gentoo's init scripts, but my wlan0 and eth0 are both in a bridge
(br0) and it works fine. I don't get the CTS, Short Slot Time, or
preamble kernel driver errors. Perhaps you need to comment out a few
lines in hostapd.conf?

# preamble=1

and I have:

rts_threshold=2347

I'll send you a direct e-mail with my .config and hostapd-wep.conf files
to help with debugging.

Pat Erley

2009-01-06 14:53:06

by W. van den Akker

> [...]

19: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi uhci_hcd:usb2
21: 1727 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ath
23: 0 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi ehci_hcd:usb3
27: 89 0 IO-APIC-fasteoi aic79xx
NMI: 322364 322307 Non-maskable interrupts
LOC: 0 322302 Local timer interrupts
RES: 10695 24691 Rescheduling interrupts
CAL: 36 112 Function call interrupts
TLB: 2371 3165 TLB shootdowns
TRM: 0 0 Thermal event interrupts
SPU: 0 0 Spurious interrupts
ERR: 0
MIS: 0

However, after starting a internet session and Kmail session the server hangs
again without any output. Does the NMI-handler not process per CPU? So if one
CPU hangs, the other would still proceed?

I have no 802.11n enabled, nor X.

This means I think the system halted hard 'hlt-instruction'

Any further suggestion? I am little bit hopeless now. I have placed the PCI

2009-01-06 22:42:30

by W. van den Akker

> [...]

Subsystem: Linksys Device 0061
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr+
Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
<TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
Latency: 168, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
Region 0: Memory at d0310000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] #80 [0000]
Kernel driver in use: ath9k
Kernel modules: ath9k

System hangsup depending on the number of devices or cennections are opened:
- only hostapd (no devices connected). system hangs after approx 5 hours.
(ifconfig shows wlan0 up)
- only a laptop with a browsing session, system did nog hang after a few
hours.
- only a laptop with a browsing session and kmail, system hangs directly.
No logging to console. Nmi watchdog enabled...

2009-01-12 07:47:36

by W. van den Akker

On Saturday 10 January 2009, you wrote:
> W. van den Akker wrote:
> > Did some futher testing to exclude problems....
> > The wlan0 and eth1 are both part of a bridge. I have removed the eth1
> > interface so the the eth1-driver cannot interfer with the ath9k driver.
> > Also no result. The server still locks.
> >
> > What is the right way to combine the eth1 and wlan0 into a bridge. Do I
> > even need a bridge? The hostapd.config says I must define a bridge when
> > I use the nl80211driver interface.
> > The bridge has an IP adress, wlan0 and eth1 are in the same subnet.
> >
> > When hostapd is started I have some error-messages. Dont know if they can
> > hurt...
> > Failed to set CTS protect in kernel driver
> > Failed to set Short Slot Time option in kernel driver
> > Could not set preamble for kernel driver
>
> I use gentoo's init scripts, but my wlan0 and eth0 are both in a bridge
> (br0) and it works fine. I don't get the CTS, Short Slot Time, or
> preamble kernel driver errors. Perhaps you need to comment out a few
> lines in hostapd.conf?
>
> # preamble=1
>
> and I have:
>
> rts_threshold=2347
>
> I'll send you a direct e-mail with my .config and hostapd-wep.conf files
> to help with debugging.

I have used your config files for hostapd. Only change I have made is comment
out the CONFIG_LIBNL20 because I have no lib for the debian lenny distro. But
I dont think that will hurt much.
The error messages are gone.

However the system hangup still occurs. It looks like a DMA - ath9k related
problem.

greetings
WIllem

believed to be clean.

2009-01-07 15:42:24

by W. van den Akker

On Tuesday 06 January 2009, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 January 2009 21:51:09 you wrote:
> > W. van den Akker wrote:
> > --- Snip ---

> > > Some additional information:
> > > I have booted the server at approx 16:00. Hostapd was started at
> > > boot-time. After 5 hours without any connection from any computers the
> > > server hangs.
> >
> > Just as a data point, I'm running master mode with ath9k on 64bit with
> > multiple clients and have no problems. Perhaps it's hardware version
> > related? Here's the info for my system:
> >
> > kernel: 2.6.28-gentoo
> > compat-wireless-2.6: cedd75beb269e2b559a5174ee628ebd01f63a4040
> > wireless-testing: fd1dae5fbc7a260b0ddfab7d4939a766a82ef3f3
> > hostapd: 2c04820d80b5c489576cb735c3be8f026a035a5b
> >
> > I have 80211n enabled for my device with this config:
> >
> > ht_capab=[HT40-][SHORT-GI-40][DSSS_CCK-40]
> >
> > my device:
> >
> > Network controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5416 802.11a/b/g/n
> > Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
> >
> > phy0: Atheros AR5416 MAC/BB Rev:2 AR2133 RF Rev:81:
> > mem=0xffffc20000060000, irq=17
> >
> > Currently I'm using my ps3, axim, laptop, and a netbook at the same
> > time, and have no disconnects. Any additional testing I could do that
> > might help you out, or more information I could provide you?
>
> My system:
> kernel: 2.6.28-rc9-wl (wireless testing): 2.6.28-rc9-1-686-wl #1 SMP Fri
> Jan 2 19:38:20 CET 2009 i686 GNU/Linux
> hostapd: 0.6.6
> Have no 80211n enabled
> Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz 1024 KB
>
> my device:
> 04:08.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5416 802.11abgn
> Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Linksys Device 0061
> Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr+
> Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-
> <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
> Latency: 168, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
> Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
> Region 0: Memory at d0310000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
> Capabilities: [40] #80 [0000]
> Kernel driver in use: ath9k
> Kernel modules: ath9k
>
> System hangsup depending on the number of devices or cennections are
> opened: - only hostapd (no devices connected). system hangs after approx 5
> hours. (ifconfig shows wlan0 up)
> - only a laptop with a browsing session, system did nog hang after a few
> hours.
> - only a laptop with a browsing session and kmail, system hangs directly.
> No logging to console. Nmi watchdog enabled...

I have tested today with the latest wireless testing 2.6.28-wl and tested with
WPA and without WPA. It didnt make any difference.

I am getting pretty hopeless now. Because nothing seems to work or give any
progress.

This is the hostapd log:
mgmt::auth
authentication: STA=00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 auth_alg=0 auth_transaction=1
status_code=0 wep=0
New STA
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: authentication OK (open system)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME:
MLME-AUTHENTICATE.indication(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3, OPEN_SYSTEM)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME: MLME-DELETEKEYS.request(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3)
authentication reply: STA=00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 auth_alg=0 auth_transaction=2
resp=0 (IE len=0)
MGMT (TX callback) ACK
mgmt::auth cb
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
MGMT
mgmt::auth
authentication: STA=00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 auth_alg=0 auth_transaction=1
status_code=0 wep=0
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: authentication OK (open system)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME:
MLME-AUTHENTICATE.indication(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3, OPEN_SYSTEM)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME: MLME-DELETEKEYS.request(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3)
authentication reply: STA=00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 auth_alg=0 auth_transaction=2
resp=0 (IE len=0)
MGMT
mgmt::assoc_req
association request: STA=00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 capab_info=0x421 listen_interval=10
new AID 1
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: association OK (aid 1)
MGMT (TX callback) ACK
mgmt::auth cb
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
MGMT (TX callback) ACK
mgmt::assoc_resp cb
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME:
MLME-ASSOCIATE.indication(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME: MLME-DELETEKEYS.request(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 RADIUS: starting accounting session
4964CA2A-00000000
DATA
DATA
STA 00:01:db:08:6b:5a sent probe request for our SSID
STA 00:01:db:08:6b:5a sent probe request for our SSID
MGMT (TX callback) ACK
mgmt::proberesp cb
MGMT (TX callback) ACK
mgmt::proberesp cb
[...]
MGMT (TX callback) fail
mgmt::proberesp cb
MGMT (TX callback) fail
mgmt::proberesp cb
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
DATA
STA 00:01:db:08:6b:5a sent probe request for broadcast SSID
MGMT (TX callback) fail
mgmt::proberesp cb
[...]
STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 sent probe request for our SSID
MGMT (TX callback) ACK
mgmt::proberesp cb
MGMT
mgmt::auth
authentication: STA=00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 auth_alg=0 auth_transaction=1
status_code=0 wep=0
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: authentication OK (open system)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME:
MLME-AUTHENTICATE.indication(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3, OPEN_SYSTEM)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME: MLME-DELETEKEYS.request(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3)
authentication reply: STA=00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 auth_alg=0 auth_transaction=2
resp=0 (IE len=0)
MGMT (TX callback) ACK
mgmt::auth cb
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
MGMT
mgmt::reassoc_req
reassociation request: STA=00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 capab_info=0x421
listen_interval=10 current_ap=00:18:39:19:7f:87
old AID 1
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: association OK (aid 1)
MGMT (TX callback) ACK
mgmt::reassoc_resp cb
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME:
MLME-REASSOCIATE.indication(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 MLME: MLME-DELETEKEYS.request(00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3)
wlan0: STA 00:1d:e0:48:a0:a3 RADIUS: starting accounting session
4964CA2A-00000001
DATA
DATA
DATA