2011-01-27 16:37:12

by Rafał Miłecki

Subject: Mini PCIeWiFi card not detected in non-mini adapter

I've received mini PCIe adapter to PCIe x1 slot to test notebook cards
inserted into PC. Unfortunately after inserting my Broadcom card to
it, it is not detected in "lspci" at all.

My WiFi card used to work in "native" slot inside notebook. So if
anything is broken, that would be PCIe x1 slot on motherboard or
adapter itself. I've tested V and GND pins in my PCIe x1 slot, all
work fine. I'll try get some other WiFi cards, to test my adapter
tomorrow.

However, maybe you have heard about some problems with such a
adapters? Can there be sth preventing my card from being detected,
visible?

--
Rafał

2011-01-27 16:48:39

by Brian Prodoehl

2011/1/27 Rafał Miłecki <[email protected]>:
> I've received mini PCIe adapter to PCIe x1 slot to test notebook cards
> inserted into PC.  Unfortunately after inserting my Broadcom card to
> it, it is not detected in "lspci" at all.
>
> My WiFi card used to work in "native" slot inside notebook. So if
> anything is broken, that would be PCIe x1 slot on motherboard or
> adapter itself. I've tested V and GND pins in my PCIe x1 slot, all
> work fine. I'll try get some other WiFi cards, to test my adapter
> tomorrow.
>
> However, maybe you have heard about some problems with such a
> adapters? Can there be sth preventing my card from being detected,
> visible?
>
> --
> Rafał

I haven't tested that sort of thing with PCI-Express, but I had bad
results with Atheros AR5414-based modules in Mini-PCI to PCI adapters
like this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-pci-to-pci-adapter-with-antenna-9307

The system either wouldn't boot, or it would boot and the wireless
card wouldn't show up in lspci, so I gave up on it.

-Brian

2011-01-29 09:37:40

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 28 stycznia 2011 17:16 użytkownik Stanislaw Gruszka
<[email protected]> napisał:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 06:19:56PM +0100, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> What I've bought is following adapter:
>> http://allegro.pl/adapter-wifi-mini-pci-e-na-pci-e-3-anteny-kp13-i1429732145.html
>
> I'm using adapters form http://www.hwtools.net/ , they work pretty well for me,
> but they are also quite expensive.

Yeah, they have adapters few times more expensive than my one :(

Yesterday my friend was nice (and brave :P) enough to let me open his
notebook and test my card in it. Card was detected just fine in his
Windows 7.

Today I managed to test my adapter (with my Broadcom card inside) in
some other PC with PCI Express x1. It was detected again! Motherboard
in this PC is: Asus/Pegatron IPMTB-TK.

So:
1) My Broadcom card is fine
2) My adapted is fine

There must be problem with my motherboard/BIOS/PCI Express x1 slot.

I'm much happier now when I know I don't need to return that adapters
(I bought 2) :)

--
Rafał

2011-01-27 17:14:46

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 27 stycznia 2011 17:47 użytkownik Peter Stuge <[email protected]> napisał:
> Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> I've received mini PCIe adapter to PCIe x1 slot to test notebook cards
>> inserted into PC.  Unfortunately after inserting my Broadcom card to
>> it, it is not detected in "lspci" at all.
>
> Tried the various -A options?
>
> linux-sysfs
> linux-proc
> intel-conf1
> intel-conf2

Yes. First three don't differ, last one gives garbage.

> The BIOS could be causing trouble. If intel-conf1 doesn't work then
> try inserting any working PCIe card into the slot, note the bus:slot
> it gets, and finally reboot with the wifi card and run:
>
> lspci -A intel-conf1 -s bus:slot

Thanks, I'll try that when I get any PCIe card.

--
Rafał

2011-01-30 12:08:51

by Rafał Miłecki

I write everything down, in case someone in future would hit similar issue.

W dniu 29 stycznia 2011 10:37 użytkownik Rafał Miłecki
<[email protected]> napisał:
> W dniu 28 stycznia 2011 17:16 użytkownik Stanislaw Gruszka
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 06:19:56PM +0100, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>>> What I've bought is following adapter:
>>> http://allegro.pl/adapter-wifi-mini-pci-e-na-pci-e-3-anteny-kp13-i1429732145.html
>>
>> I'm using adapters form http://www.hwtools.net/ , they work pretty well for me,
>> but they are also quite expensive.
>
> Yeah, they have adapters few times more expensive than my one :(
>

> Yesterday my friend was nice (and brave :P) enough to let me open his
> notebook and test my card in it. Card was detected just fine in his
> Windows 7.
>
> Today I managed to test my adapter (with my Broadcom card inside) in
> some other PC with PCI Express x1. It was detected again! Motherboard
> in this PC is: Asus/Pegatron IPMTB-TK.
>

> So:
> 1) My Broadcom card is fine
> 2) My adapted is fine
>
> There must be problem with my motherboard/BIOS/PCI Express x1 slot.
>
> I'm much happier now when I know I don't need to return that adapters
> (I bought 2) :)

I've used openSUSE LiveCD on Asus/Pegatron IPMTB-TK and I still was
able to see my WiFi card (using adapter).

Then thanks for MSDNAA I've tried Windows XP on my problematic
P5V02-MX motherboard. Windows XP also could not detect my WiFI card!

So there is nothing from with Linux+adapter, the problem in directly
related to my P5V02-MX motherboard.

--
Rafał

2011-01-27 16:50:31

by Larry Finger

On 01/27/2011 10:37 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> I've received mini PCIe adapter to PCIe x1 slot to test notebook cards
> inserted into PC. Unfortunately after inserting my Broadcom card to
> it, it is not detected in "lspci" at all.
>
> My WiFi card used to work in "native" slot inside notebook. So if
> anything is broken, that would be PCIe x1 slot on motherboard or
> adapter itself. I've tested V and GND pins in my PCIe x1 slot, all
> work fine. I'll try get some other WiFi cards, to test my adapter
> tomorrow.
>
> However, maybe you have heard about some problems with such a
> adapters? Can there be sth preventing my card from being detected,
> visible?

Does the adapter show up as a new bridge in lspci or in dmesg?

Larry

2011-01-30 12:28:53

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 29 stycznia 2011 18:33 użytkownik Pat Erley <[email protected]> napisał:
> On 01/29/11 04:37, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>>
>> W dniu 28 stycznia 2011 17:16 użytkownik Stanislaw Gruszka
>> <[email protected]>  napisał:

>>> I'm using adapters form http://www.hwtools.net/ , they work pretty well
>>> for me,
>>> but they are also quite expensive.
>>
>> Yeah, they have adapters few times more expensive than my one :(
>>

>> Yesterday my friend was nice (and brave :P) enough to let me open his
>> notebook and test my card in it. Card was detected just fine in his
>> Windows 7.
>>
>> Today I managed to test my adapter (with my Broadcom card inside) in
>> some other PC with PCI Express x1. It was detected again! Motherboard
>> in this PC is: Asus/Pegatron IPMTB-TK.
>>

>> So:
>> 1) My Broadcom card is fine
>> 2) My adapted is fine
>>
>> There must be problem with my motherboard/BIOS/PCI Express x1 slot.
>>
>> I'm much happier now when I know I don't need to return that adapters
>> (I bought 2) :)
>>
> My experience with pci-e bridge cards like this and not being detected:
>
> If your mobo supports SLI, but you're not using SLI, disable detecting
> sli, this caused mine to not be detected.  In my bios, the setting set
> the slots into x16,x1,x1,x1 instead of x8,x1,disabled,x8.
>
> If you have a pci-e serial card using an old TI chipset, they seem to
> block enumeration and detecting in the following slots.
>
> I'm using an AR9280 in a riser that shipped with some other card I never
> tested.
>
> What I would test is re-arranging the pci-e cards (if you have more than
> one), and look into sli detection if you're not using it.
>
> Good Luck!

Thanks for your help! My motherboard has integrated VIA GPU and
possibility to add external GPU. I can set in BIOS "Primary Display
Adapter" to "PCI" or "PCI-E".

However, that was not the source of my problems. After digging more in
BIOS settings I've finally noticed:
Advanced → Onboard Device COnfiguration → Ex/SATA-PCI-E*1 Option
with two values to choose:
1) Ex-SATA
2) PCI-E*1

So... My PCI Express x1 slot was working in some Ex-SATA mode! After
switching that, my WiFi card is detected fine finally! :)

Thanks everybody for help and sorry for bothering you with problems
that came from my incorrect BIOS configuration... Ups :)

--
Rafał

2011-01-27 17:16:15

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 27 stycznia 2011 17:51 użytkownik Larry Finger
<[email protected]> napisał:
> On 01/27/2011 10:37 AM, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>> I've received mini PCIe adapter to PCIe x1 slot to test notebook cards
>> inserted into PC.  Unfortunately after inserting my Broadcom card to
>> it, it is not detected in "lspci" at all.
>>
>> My WiFi card used to work in "native" slot inside notebook. So if
>> anything is broken, that would be PCIe x1 slot on motherboard or
>> adapter itself. I've tested V and GND pins in my PCIe x1 slot, all
>> work fine. I'll try get some other WiFi cards, to test my adapter
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> However, maybe you have heard about some problems with such a
>> adapters? Can there be sth preventing my card from being detected,
>> visible?
>
> Does the adapter show up as a new bridge in lspci or in dmesg?

No difference in lspci or dmesg. I've even tried lspci with every -A.

I guess this adapter mostly reroutes pins, probably won't be visible
as separated bridge itself.

--
Rafał

2011-01-27 17:19:57

by Rafał Miłecki

W dniu 27 stycznia 2011 17:48 użytkownik Brian Prodoehl
<[email protected]> napisał:
> 2011/1/27 Rafał Miłecki <[email protected]>:
>> I've received mini PCIe adapter to PCIe x1 slot to test notebook cards
>> inserted into PC.  Unfortunately after inserting my Broadcom card to
>> it, it is not detected in "lspci" at all.
>>
>> My WiFi card used to work in "native" slot inside notebook. So if
>> anything is broken, that would be PCIe x1 slot on motherboard or
>> adapter itself. I've tested V and GND pins in my PCIe x1 slot, all
>> work fine. I'll try get some other WiFi cards, to test my adapter
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> However, maybe you have heard about some problems with such a
>> adapters? Can there be sth preventing my card from being detected,
>> visible?
>>
>> --
>> Rafał
>
> I haven't tested that sort of thing with PCI-Express, but I had bad
> results with Atheros AR5414-based modules in Mini-PCI to PCI adapters
> like this:
>
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-pci-to-pci-adapter-with-antenna-9307
>
> The system either wouldn't boot, or it would boot and the wireless
> card wouldn't show up in lspci, so I gave up on it.

That are not good news :(

What I've bought is following adapter:
http://allegro.pl/adapter-wifi-mini-pci-e-na-pci-e-3-anteny-kp13-i1429732145.html

(Maybe) interesting part is that it contains LED near antennas which
doesn't light for me. After tracking GND line of this LED I can see it
going to mini PCIe slot. So maybe it's not critical, maybe it would
light if my WiFi card worked?

--
Rafał

2011-01-29 17:41:16

by Pat Erley

On 01/29/11 04:37, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> W dniu 28 stycznia 2011 17:16 użytkownik Stanislaw Gruszka
> <[email protected]> napisał:
>> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 06:19:56PM +0100, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
>>> What I've bought is following adapter:
>>> http://allegro.pl/adapter-wifi-mini-pci-e-na-pci-e-3-anteny-kp13-i1429732145.html
>>
>> I'm using adapters form http://www.hwtools.net/ , they work pretty well for me,
>> but they are also quite expensive.
>
> Yeah, they have adapters few times more expensive than my one :(
>

> Yesterday my friend was nice (and brave :P) enough to let me open his
> notebook and test my card in it. Card was detected just fine in his
> Windows 7.
>
> Today I managed to test my adapter (with my Broadcom card inside) in
> some other PC with PCI Express x1. It was detected again! Motherboard
> in this PC is: Asus/Pegatron IPMTB-TK.
>

> So:
> 1) My Broadcom card is fine
> 2) My adapted is fine
>
> There must be problem with my motherboard/BIOS/PCI Express x1 slot.
>
> I'm much happier now when I know I don't need to return that adapters
> (I bought 2) :)

My experience with pci-e bridge cards like this and not being detected:

If your mobo supports SLI, but you're not using SLI, disable detecting
sli, this caused mine to not be detected. In my bios, the setting set
the slots into x16,x1,x1,x1 instead of x8,x1,disabled,x8.

If you have a pci-e serial card using an old TI chipset, they seem to
block enumeration and detecting in the following slots.

I'm using an AR9280 in a riser that shipped with some other card I never
tested.

What I would test is re-arranging the pci-e cards (if you have more than
one), and look into sli detection if you're not using it.

Good Luck!

--
Pat Erley

2011-01-28 16:16:24

by Stanislaw Gruszka

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 06:19:56PM +0100, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> W dniu 27 stycznia 2011 17:48 użytkownik Brian Prodoehl
> <[email protected]> napisał:
> > 2011/1/27 Rafał Miłecki <[email protected]>:
> >> I've received mini PCIe adapter to PCIe x1 slot to test notebook cards
> >> inserted into PC.  Unfortunately after inserting my Broadcom card to
> >> it, it is not detected in "lspci" at all.
> >>
> >> My WiFi card used to work in "native" slot inside notebook. So if
> >> anything is broken, that would be PCIe x1 slot on motherboard or
> >> adapter itself. I've tested V and GND pins in my PCIe x1 slot, all
> >> work fine. I'll try get some other WiFi cards, to test my adapter
> >> tomorrow.
> >>
> >> However, maybe you have heard about some problems with such a
> >> adapters? Can there be sth preventing my card from being detected,
> >> visible?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Rafał
> >
> > I haven't tested that sort of thing with PCI-Express, but I had bad
> > results with Atheros AR5414-based modules in Mini-PCI to PCI adapters
> > like this:
> >
> > http://www.dealextreme.com/p/mini-pci-to-pci-adapter-with-antenna-9307
> >
> > The system either wouldn't boot, or it would boot and the wireless
> > card wouldn't show up in lspci, so I gave up on it.
>
> That are not good news :(
>
> What I've bought is following adapter:
> http://allegro.pl/adapter-wifi-mini-pci-e-na-pci-e-3-anteny-kp13-i1429732145.html

I'm using adapters form http://www.hwtools.net/ , they work pretty well for me,
but they are also quite expensive.

Stanislaw

2011-01-27 16:47:21

by Peter Stuge

Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> I've received mini PCIe adapter to PCIe x1 slot to test notebook cards
> inserted into PC. Unfortunately after inserting my Broadcom card to
> it, it is not detected in "lspci" at all.

Tried the various -A options?

linux-sysfs
linux-proc
intel-conf1
intel-conf2

The BIOS could be causing trouble. If intel-conf1 doesn't work then
try inserting any working PCIe card into the slot, note the bus:slot
it gets, and finally reboot with the wifi card and run:

lspci -A intel-conf1 -s bus:slot

//Peter