2011-05-02 20:51:52

by Ben Greear

Subject: Looking for 3x3 Atheros NICs using ath9k driver.

Hello!

We are trying to find some Atheros NICs that support 3x3
MIMO, but we are having a hard time.

We mistakenly ordered some Ubiquity SR71-A NICs, but those aren't
even supported by ath9k it seems (visible chipset is AR9160-AC1E).
There are some other SR71 NICs that *do* work (AR9160-BC1A), but
hard to order that specific version.

Sparklan seems to make one based on AR9380, but they are not
in stock any place we could find.

Anyone know of any others that are available to the public
in small quantities?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Adrian Chadd

On 7 May 2011 11:42, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Ok, there's likely some PCI init bugs going on here; would someone
>> with more background in this please take a look?
>
> I haven't had a chance to try this on the Atom system with the
> latest 39-rc6+ kernels.. ?I'll try that on Monday.
>
> The VIA system was running 39-rc6+, btw.

Thanks!

I do hope it's not ath9k. :-)

Adrian

2011-05-02 22:08:15

by Pat Erley

On 05/02/11 16:51, Ben Greear wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We are trying to find some Atheros NICs that support 3x3
> MIMO, but we are having a hard time.
>
> We mistakenly ordered some Ubiquity SR71-A NICs, but those aren't
> even supported by ath9k it seems (visible chipset is AR9160-AC1E).
> There are some other SR71 NICs that *do* work (AR9160-BC1A), but
> hard to order that specific version.
>
> Sparklan seems to make one based on AR9380, but they are not
> in stock any place we could find.
>
> Anyone know of any others that are available to the public
> in small quantities?

I've ordered from Oxfordtec a few times:

http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/MiniPCI-Wireless-Cards-802.11n---300Mbps/c36_40/p127/SparkLAN-WMIA-199N-WLAN-802.11n-draft-wifi-2.4/5Ghz-dual-band-3T/3R-Module-%28Atheros-AR9001-AR9160-XSPAN%29-Wireless-miniPCI-card/product_info.html

2011-05-02 22:20:01

by Ben Greear

On 05/02/2011 03:00 PM, Pat Erley wrote:
> On 05/02/11 16:51, Ben Greear wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> We are trying to find some Atheros NICs that support 3x3
>> MIMO, but we are having a hard time.
>>
>> We mistakenly ordered some Ubiquity SR71-A NICs, but those aren't
>> even supported by ath9k it seems (visible chipset is AR9160-AC1E).
>> There are some other SR71 NICs that *do* work (AR9160-BC1A), but
>> hard to order that specific version.
>>
>> Sparklan seems to make one based on AR9380, but they are not
>> in stock any place we could find.
>>
>> Anyone know of any others that are available to the public
>> in small quantities?
>>
> I've ordered from Oxfordtec a few times:
>
> http://www.oxfordtec.com/us/MiniPCI-Wireless-Cards-802.11n---300Mbps/c36_40/p127/SparkLAN-WMIA-199N-WLAN-802.11n-draft-wifi-2.4/5Ghz-dual-band-3T/3R-Module-%28Atheros-AR9001-AR9160-XSPAN%29-Wireless-miniPCI-card/product_info.html

Thanks, I just ordered one of the industrial versions of that NIC.

I also found a possible source for the sparklan. Doesn't say they are out
of stock, but maybe they just don't keep track on their web page...

http://www.embeddedworks.net/psummary.php?mn=sparklan&mid=sparklan211

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Ben Greear

On 05/04/2011 09:16 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 4 May 2011 02:00, Ben Greear<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Here's the lspci for the SR71-A that doesn't work with ath9k:
>>
>> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless
>> Network Adapter (rev 01)
>> Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. Device ee1c
>
> ... ee1c? Err, that isn't right. Not by a very, very long shot.
>
> What board are you putting this into?
>
>> From FreeBSD on a RSPRO (ar71xx mips):
>
> ath0@pci0:0:17:0: class=0x028000 card=0x40820777 chip=0x0027168c
> rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
> vendor = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
> class = network
>
> That definitely, positively is the same AC1A revision that you have.
> It even does 11n(ag) too. Honest. I've seen it. :-)
>
> This and the previous AR93xx "0xabcd" device id post is starting to
> sound a lot like something's not waking up the PCI bus and/or chip
> "right" in order to get the PCI vendor id init'ed from the EEPROM..

Well, I put in one NIC, it works fine, I put in the other, and it doesn't.

Same system, reproducible on other systems from same manufacturer (Lanner, LEC 2010E).

Haven't tried it on a totally different motherboard. I'll send you this
broken NIC if you want...I'm too tight on time to hack on it now...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Adrian Chadd

The AR9160/SR71-A should be supported by ath9k. They're just 2x2
stream devices using 3 radios.

What do you mean by "not even supported" ?

If the SR71-A isn't working for you then please email the ath9k list
and I'll take a look. I have a bunch of SR71-A hardware here to tinker
with.

Adrian

On 3 May 2011 04:51, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> We are trying to find some Atheros NICs that support 3x3
> MIMO, but we are having a hard time.
>
> We mistakenly ordered some Ubiquity SR71-A NICs, but those aren't
> even supported by ath9k it seems (visible chipset is AR9160-AC1E).
> There are some other SR71 NICs that *do* work (AR9160-BC1A), but
> hard to order that specific version.
>
> Sparklan seems to make one based on AR9380, but they are not
> in stock any place we could find.
>
> Anyone know of any others that are available to the public
> in small quantities?
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>
> --
> Ben Greear <[email protected]>
> Candela Technologies Inc ?http://www.candelatech.com

> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2011-05-03 16:36:45

by Ben Greear

On 05/02/2011 11:13 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> The AR9160/SR71-A should be supported by ath9k. They're just 2x2
> stream devices using 3 radios.
>
> What do you mean by "not even supported" ?
>
> If the SR71-A isn't working for you then please email the ath9k list
> and I'll take a look. I have a bunch of SR71-A hardware here to tinker
> with.

The ath9k didn't even recognize the NIC, and lspci showed some 5xxx
chipset.

Other SR71-A NICs work just fine, so it's just a subset that is
broken. I'll put it in a system later today and get you
a verbose lspci listing.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Adrian Chadd

On 10 May 2011 03:05, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:

> The NIC is still showing up funky on the other system (Atom), even with the
> same 39-rc6+ kernel.
>
> This NIC is reliably showing up wrong on in this system, and the other
> is reliably showing up well, so I think the problem must be with
> the NIC or perhaps the ath9k driver.

When you say "other NIC", you mean "BC1A" revision, rather than "AC1E" ?

> If anyone has any suggestions for how to debug this further, I'm
> interested...

Can you try (much) earlier kernels? Ignore ath9k; ath9k shouldn't be
needed for the card device id to be setup on PCI bus reset or whenever
specifically it happens.

Adrian

2011-05-03 09:39:41

by Roberto Riggio

well i'm also having troubles in injecting traffic at 11n rates over a
raw interface,
instead everything is working fine if I try to inject traffic at 11bga
rates. I'm using
the patch recently posted by matteo croce in order to specify 11n mcs codes.

the card that i;m using is exactly an sr71a. I hear that packet
injection is working
fine for people using the ubiquiti rocket M devices.

R.

Il 03/05/2011 08:13, Adrian Chadd ha scritto:
> The AR9160/SR71-A should be supported by ath9k. They're just 2x2
> stream devices using 3 radios.
>
> What do you mean by "not even supported" ?
>
> If the SR71-A isn't working for you then please email the ath9k list
> and I'll take a look. I have a bunch of SR71-A hardware here to tinker
> with.
>

> Adrian
>
> On 3 May 2011 04:51, Ben Greear<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> We are trying to find some Atheros NICs that support 3x3
>> MIMO, but we are having a hard time.
>>
>> We mistakenly ordered some Ubiquity SR71-A NICs, but those aren't
>> even supported by ath9k it seems (visible chipset is AR9160-AC1E).
>> There are some other SR71 NICs that *do* work (AR9160-BC1A), but
>> hard to order that specific version.
>>
>> Sparklan seems to make one based on AR9380, but they are not
>> in stock any place we could find.
>>
>> Anyone know of any others that are available to the public
>> in small quantities?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>
>> --
>> Ben Greear<[email protected]>
>> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com
>>
>> --

Roberto Riggio, Ph.D.
CREATE-NET
Network& Security Solutions for Pervasive Computing Systems (iNSPIRE)
Senior Researcher
Via alla Cascata 56/D - 38123 Povo Trento (Italy)
e-mail: [email protected]
Tel: (+39) 0461 408400 - interno/extension 708
Fax: (+39) 0461 421157
http://www.create-net.org/~rriggio

entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited according to
the Italian Law 196/2003 of the Legislature. If you received this in
error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
computer.

Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e nei
file allegati sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il loro
utilizzo e' consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio, per
le finalita' indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceveste questo
messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla cancellazione del
messaggio stesso dal Vostro sistema. Trattenere il messaggio stesso,
divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo,
od utilizzarlo per finalita' diverse, costituisce comportamento
contrario ai principi dettati dal D. Lgs. 196/2003.

2011-05-10 20:51:37

by Ben Greear

On 05/09/2011 07:21 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 10 May 2011 03:05, Ben Greear<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The NIC is still showing up funky on the other system (Atom), even with the
>> same 39-rc6+ kernel.
>>
>> This NIC is reliably showing up wrong on in this system, and the other
>> is reliably showing up well, so I think the problem must be with
>> the NIC or perhaps the ath9k driver.
>>
> When you say "other NIC", you mean "BC1A" revision, rather than "AC1E" ?
>
>> If anyone has any suggestions for how to debug this further, I'm
>> interested...
>
> Can you try (much) earlier kernels? Ignore ath9k; ath9k shouldn't be
> needed for the card device id to be setup on PCI bus reset or whenever
> specifically it happens.

I tried a stock F14 .35 kernel, same problem.

I tried booting a .29 kernel, but F14 won't boot
on so old of a kernel.

Current plan is to just stick it in one of the VIA systems
that it functions in and use it for testing..and never buy any
more of those SR71-A NICs.

The sparklan 127N 3x3 pci-e seems to be working very well, so
I plan to start using them instead.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Ben Greear

On 05/02/2011 11:13 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> The AR9160/SR71-A should be supported by ath9k. They're just 2x2
> stream devices using 3 radios.
>
> What do you mean by "not even supported" ?
>
> If the SR71-A isn't working for you then please email the ath9k list
> and I'll take a look. I have a bunch of SR71-A hardware here to tinker
> with.

Here's the lspci for the SR71-A that doesn't work with ath9k:

03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. Device ee1c
Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV+ VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
Latency: 64, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 15
Region 0: Memory at febf0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
Capabilities: [40] #80 [0000]
Capabilities: [80] #00 [0000]

The only visual difference we saw is that there is a chip labeled AR9160-AC1E
on the one above, and the ones that work have instead: AR9160-BC1A

The SR71-A that *does* work, works very well for us. The problem is just that we
cannot be sure of what we are receiving when we order stuff because the name
is the same for both NICs.

Thanks,
Ben

> Adrian
>
> On 3 May 2011 04:51, Ben Greear<[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> We are trying to find some Atheros NICs that support 3x3
>> MIMO, but we are having a hard time.
>>
>> We mistakenly ordered some Ubiquity SR71-A NICs, but those aren't
>> even supported by ath9k it seems (visible chipset is AR9160-AC1E).
>> There are some other SR71 NICs that *do* work (AR9160-BC1A), but
>> hard to order that specific version.
>>
>> Sparklan seems to make one based on AR9380, but they are not
>> in stock any place we could find.
>>
>> Anyone know of any others that are available to the public
>> in small quantities?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>
>> --
>> Ben Greear<[email protected]>
>> Candela Technologies Inc http://www.candelatech.com
>>
>> --

Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Adrian Chadd

Then there's something wrong with the patch. Where's the latest version of it?

ath9k worked fine with the SR71A the last time I checked (which was
admittedly 8 weeks ago now.)

Adrian

On 3 May 2011 17:39, Roberto Riggio <[email protected]> wrote:
> [...]
> the Italian Law 196/2003 of the Legislature. If you received this in
> error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any
> computer.
>
> Le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio di posta elettronica e nei
> file allegati sono da considerarsi strettamente riservate. Il loro
> utilizzo e' consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio, per
> le finalita' indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora riceveste questo
> messaggio senza esserne il destinatario, Vi preghiamo cortesemente di
> darcene notizia via e-mail e di procedere alla cancellazione del
> messaggio stesso dal Vostro sistema. Trattenere il messaggio stesso,
> divulgarlo anche in parte, distribuirlo ad altri soggetti, copiarlo,
> od utilizzarlo per finalita' diverse, costituisce comportamento
> contrario ai principi dettati dal D. Lgs. 196/2003.

2011-05-09 19:05:42

by Ben Greear

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Ben Greear

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Ben Greear

On 05/06/2011 07:31 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 7 May 2011 06:53, Ben Greear<[email protected]> wrote:
>
> [top post]
>
> Ok, there's likely some PCI init bugs going on here; would someone
> with more background in this please take a look?

I haven't had a chance to try this on the Atom system with the
latest 39-rc6+ kernels.. I'll try that on Monday.

The VIA system was running 39-rc6+, btw.

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Adrian Chadd

Unex make SR-71 NICs which are guaranteed to use the BC1 generation of
AR9160. They sell a normal and high powered dual-band version.

I've got both here and they both work remarkably well.

It's a shame we can't easily get to the bottom of what's going on, I'd
like to try and figure out what's going on with waking up these
atheros NICs on power-on. I'd hate for this to be the first indication
of a wider problem later on (especially if any Osprey's are detecting
as device 0xabcd, which from what I've been told shouldn't be
happening..)

Adrian

2011-05-04 16:16:36

by Adrian Chadd

On 4 May 2011 02:00, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here's the lspci for the SR71-A that doesn't work with ath9k:
>
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5008 Wireless
> Network Adapter (rev 01)
> ? ? ? ?Subsystem: Atheros Communications Inc. Device ee1c

... ee1c? Err, that isn't right. Not by a very, very long shot.

What board are you putting this into?

>From FreeBSD on a RSPRO (ar71xx mips):

ath0@pci0:0:17:0: class=0x028000 card=0x40820777 chip=0x0027168c
rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Atheros Communications Inc.'
class = network

That definitely, positively is the same AC1A revision that you have.
It even does 11n(ag) too. Honest. I've seen it. :-)

This and the previous AR93xx "0xabcd" device id post is starting to
sound a lot like something's not waking up the PCI bus and/or chip
"right" in order to get the PCI vendor id init'ed from the EEPROM..

Adrian

2011-05-07 02:31:12

by Adrian Chadd

On 7 May 2011 06:53, Ben Greear <[email protected]> wrote:

[top post]

Ok, there's likely some PCI init bugs going on here; would someone
with more background in this please take a look?

Adrian

>>> This and the previous AR93xx "0xabcd" device id post is starting to
>>> sound a lot like something's not waking up the PCI bus and/or chip
>>> "right" in order to get the PCI vendor id init'ed from the EEPROM..
>>
>> Well, I put in one NIC, it works fine, I put in the other, and it doesn't.
>>
>> Same system, reproducible on other systems from same manufacturer
>> (Lanner, LEC 2010E).
>>
>> Haven't tried it on a totally different motherboard. I'll send you this
>> broken NIC if you want...I'm too tight on time to hack on it now...
>
> So, you were right. ?I put this NIC in another system (VIA C3) and it comes
> up
> as AR9160 and loads ath9k driver just fine.
>
> 00:0c.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9160 802.11abgn
> Wireless PCI Adapter (rev 01)
> ? ? ? ?Subsystem: Device 0777:4082
> ? ? ? ?Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 168, IRQ 18
> ? ? ? ?Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
> ? ? ? ?Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2
> ? ? ? ?Kernel driver in use: ath9k
> ? ? ? ?Kernel modules: ath9k
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>

>> Ben
>>

> --
> Ben Greear <[email protected]>
> Candela Technologies Inc ?http://www.candelatech.com

> More majordomo info at ?http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html

2011-05-12 18:18:48

by Ben Greear

On 05/10/2011 01:51 PM, Ben Greear wrote:
> On 05/09/2011 07:21 PM, Adrian Chadd wrote:
>> On 10 May 2011 03:05, Ben Greear<[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> The NIC is still showing up funky on the other system (Atom), even
>>> with the
>>> same 39-rc6+ kernel.
>>>
>>> This NIC is reliably showing up wrong on in this system, and the other
>>> is reliably showing up well, so I think the problem must be with
>>> the NIC or perhaps the ath9k driver.
>>>
>> When you say "other NIC", you mean "BC1A" revision, rather than "AC1E" ?
>>
>>> If anyone has any suggestions for how to debug this further, I'm
>>> interested...

I found something interesting: In a third system, the NIC also fails
when in the pci <-> mini-pci adapter card, but it works
when plugged directly to the motherboard mini-pci slot. So, in two
of the three systems with on-board mini-pci, it works, and in two of the three
systems it fails when using the adapter board. So, I assume the problem
must be related to a bad interaction with the adapter board.

Could be that the bug is entirely in the adapter board..though of
course other NICs work fine in that adapter board....

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <[email protected]>

by Brian Prodoehl

I got some WPEA-127N modules direct from SparkLAN, and they're great.
Small quantity wasn't a problem, but I did order them with the
prospect of a larger purchase later in the year.

http://sparklan.com/product.php?func=view&prod_id=181

-Brian