2012-12-10 10:26:20

by Johannes Berg

Subject: Re: Wireless network problem with Access Point selection using ifup

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 05:15 -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:

> I have more info. Attached are 3 files. One for each of the APs selected.
> The furthest away, the router in the middle and even one for the
> closest/correct AP. In each file is the logfile for wpa_s with the -dd
> option added, the dmesg output for that particular boot, and the iwconfig
> output.

You seem to have driver issues. After getting disconnected (for some
reason, but this isn't surprising), you get:

wlan0: State: COMPLETED -> DISCONNECTED
Scan requested (ret=0) - scan timeout 30 seconds
nl80211: Event message available
nl80211: Scan trigger
Scan timeout - try to get results

^ timeout here

wlan0: Event SCAN_RESULTS (3) received
nl80211: Received scan results (0 BSSes)
wlan0: BSS: Start scan result update 3
wlan0: New scan results available
wlan0: Selecting BSS from priority group 0
wlan0: No suitable network found
wlan0: Setting scan request: 5 sec 0 usec
wlan0: Checking for other virtual interfaces sharing same radio (phy0) in event_scan_results
Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=12):
68 6f 75 6e 73 63 68 65 6c 6c 2d 31 hounschell-1
wlan0: Starting AP scan for wildcard SSID
nl80211: Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=12):
68 6f 75 6e 73 63 68 65 6c 6c 2d 31 hounschell-1
nl80211: Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=0): [NULL]
nl80211: Scan trigger failed: ret=-16 (Device or resource busy)

^ new trigger fails

So whatever driver you're using seems to be broken.

johannes

2012-12-10 11:29:00

by Johannes Berg

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 06:10 -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:

> The driver is use has was identified in the original email. So I guess this
> is the right place to report this issue?

Yeah, I guess Larry should take a look.

> In each of the wpa log files I See
> in the beginning, a section like this:
>
> nl80211: Received scan results (4 BSSes)
> wlan0: BSS: Start scan result update 1
> wlan0: BSS: Add new id 0 BSSID c8:d7:19:7a:ab:1e SSID 'hounschell-1'
> wlan0: BSS: Add new id 1 BSSID 20:aa:4b:b2:dd:79 SSID 'hounschell-1'
> wlan0: BSS: Add new id 2 BSSID 00:18:f8:ff:72:d5 SSID 'hounschell-1'
> wlan0: BSS: Add new id 3 BSSID 00:1a:70:6d:99:50 SSID 'MACDONALD'
>
> Every time the first one listed is the one actually selected and each time
> is different and usually NOT the closest.

That's expected, the order is random by the order in which it was found
in scanning etc. There's no inherent order here.

> It is a Desktop in a fixed location. The AP is within 15ft of the ASUS USB
> adapter and in direct line of sight. There may be more than one problem
> here. I think one of the problems is right here. Above 20:aa:4b:b2:dd:79 is
> the closest AP. Why is it not first in the list?

See above.

> Why, when it selects one
> of the others and it can't figure out it selected the wrong one and
> reselect the right one seems like a different problem. After all when it
> does select the correct one, all is good but the actual bandwidth.

Well so I suspect the driver is also not reporting useful signal
strength so that wpa_s doesn't know which one to select. And then when
the connection fails, the driver is refusing scanning so it can't even
reconnect to a better AP ...

IOW, all driver problems, and I'm not familiar enough with that driver
to tell you what's going on.

johannes

2012-12-10 12:46:35

by Johannes Berg

On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 07:00 -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:

> Should I file and bug report and/or contact the author?

Larry, the issue seems to be that rtl8192cu doesn't scan after having
disconnected at least once, and maybe doesn't report any/good signal
strength values.

johannes

2012-12-10 11:10:26

by Mark Hounschell

On 12/10/2012 05:26 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 05:15 -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
>
>> I have more info. Attached are 3 files. One for each of the APs selected.
>> The furthest away, the router in the middle and even one for the
>> closest/correct AP. In each file is the logfile for wpa_s with the -dd
>> option added, the dmesg output for that particular boot, and the iwconfig
>> output.
>
> You seem to have driver issues. After getting disconnected (for some
> reason, but this isn't surprising), you get:
>
> wlan0: State: COMPLETED -> DISCONNECTED
> Scan requested (ret=0) - scan timeout 30 seconds
> nl80211: Event message available
> nl80211: Scan trigger
> Scan timeout - try to get results
>
> ^ timeout here
>
> wlan0: Event SCAN_RESULTS (3) received
> nl80211: Received scan results (0 BSSes)
> wlan0: BSS: Start scan result update 3
> wlan0: New scan results available
> wlan0: Selecting BSS from priority group 0
> wlan0: No suitable network found
> wlan0: Setting scan request: 5 sec 0 usec
> wlan0: Checking for other virtual interfaces sharing same radio (phy0) in event_scan_results
> Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=12):
> 68 6f 75 6e 73 63 68 65 6c 6c 2d 31 hounschell-1
> wlan0: Starting AP scan for wildcard SSID
> nl80211: Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=12):
> 68 6f 75 6e 73 63 68 65 6c 6c 2d 31 hounschell-1
> nl80211: Scan SSID - hexdump_ascii(len=0): [NULL]
> nl80211: Scan trigger failed: ret=-16 (Device or resource busy)
>
> ^ new trigger fails
>

> So whatever driver you're using seems to be broken.
>
> johannes

The driver is use has was identified in the original email. So I guess this
is the right place to report this issue? In each of the wpa log files I See
in the beginning, a section like this:

nl80211: Received scan results (4 BSSes)
wlan0: BSS: Start scan result update 1
wlan0: BSS: Add new id 0 BSSID c8:d7:19:7a:ab:1e SSID 'hounschell-1'
wlan0: BSS: Add new id 1 BSSID 20:aa:4b:b2:dd:79 SSID 'hounschell-1'
wlan0: BSS: Add new id 2 BSSID 00:18:f8:ff:72:d5 SSID 'hounschell-1'
wlan0: BSS: Add new id 3 BSSID 00:1a:70:6d:99:50 SSID 'MACDONALD'

Every time the first one listed is the one actually selected and each time
is different and usually NOT the closest. Why? This machine is NOT roaming.
It is a Desktop in a fixed location. The AP is within 15ft of the ASUS USB
adapter and in direct line of sight. There may be more than one problem
here. I think one of the problems is right here. Above 20:aa:4b:b2:dd:79 is
the closest AP. Why is it not first in the list? Why, when it selects one
of the others and it can't figure out it selected the wrong one and
reselect the right one seems like a different problem. After all when it
does select the correct one, all is good but the actual bandwidth.

Mark

2012-12-10 17:38:32

by Mark Hounschell

On 12/10/2012 11:24 AM, Larry Finger wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 06:46 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
>> On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 07:00 -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
>>
>>> Should I file and bug report and/or contact the author?
>>
>> Larry, the issue seems to be that rtl8192cu doesn't scan after having
>> disconnected at least once, and maybe doesn't report any/good signal
>> strength values.
>
> The problem is likely that rtl8192cu goes mute after a disconnect. I'm
> not sure if it happens only with WPA/WPA2 or if all encryption methods
> are affected. I have not yet found the problem, but this and other
> reports have increased the priority.

FYI,

If you look at the logs for the instance when the furthest away AP was
selected (info-furthest-away), At least I, see no disconnections at all.
It selected the furthest AP yet was unusable. Yet no disconnects and
iwconfig showed good.

Mark

2012-12-10 12:00:54

by Mark Hounschell

On 12/10/2012 06:29 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 06:10 -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
>
>> The driver is use has was identified in the original email. So I guess this
>> is the right place to report this issue?
>
> Yeah, I guess Larry should take a look.
>
>> In each of the wpa log files I See
>> in the beginning, a section like this:
>>
>> nl80211: Received scan results (4 BSSes)
>> wlan0: BSS: Start scan result update 1
>> wlan0: BSS: Add new id 0 BSSID c8:d7:19:7a:ab:1e SSID 'hounschell-1'
>> wlan0: BSS: Add new id 1 BSSID 20:aa:4b:b2:dd:79 SSID 'hounschell-1'
>> wlan0: BSS: Add new id 2 BSSID 00:18:f8:ff:72:d5 SSID 'hounschell-1'
>> wlan0: BSS: Add new id 3 BSSID 00:1a:70:6d:99:50 SSID 'MACDONALD'
>>
>> Every time the first one listed is the one actually selected and each time
>> is different and usually NOT the closest.
>
> That's expected, the order is random by the order in which it was found
> in scanning etc. There's no inherent order here.
>
>> It is a Desktop in a fixed location. The AP is within 15ft of the ASUS USB
>> adapter and in direct line of sight. There may be more than one problem
>> here. I think one of the problems is right here. Above 20:aa:4b:b2:dd:79 is
>> the closest AP. Why is it not first in the list?
>
> See above.
>
>> Why, when it selects one
>> of the others and it can't figure out it selected the wrong one and
>> reselect the right one seems like a different problem. After all when it
>> does select the correct one, all is good but the actual bandwidth.
>
> Well so I suspect the driver is also not reporting useful signal
> strength so that wpa_s doesn't know which one to select. And then when
> the connection fails, the driver is refusing scanning so it can't even
> reconnect to a better AP ...
>
> IOW, all driver problems, and I'm not familiar enough with that driver
> to tell you what's going on.

Should I file and bug report and/or contact the author?

Mark

2012-12-10 16:24:15

by Larry Finger

On 12/10/2012 06:46 AM, Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Mon, 2012-12-10 at 07:00 -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
>
>> Should I file and bug report and/or contact the author?
>
> Larry, the issue seems to be that rtl8192cu doesn't scan after having
> disconnected at least once, and maybe doesn't report any/good signal
> strength values.

The problem is likely that rtl8192cu goes mute after a disconnect. I'm not sure
if it happens only with WPA/WPA2 or if all encryption methods are affected. I
have not yet found the problem, but this and other reports have increased the
priority.

Larry

2013-01-03 12:52:47

by Mark Hounschell

On 12/10/2012 12:38 PM, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> On 12/10/2012 11:24 AM, Larry Finger wrote:

>>> Larry, the issue seems to be that rtl8192cu doesn't scan after having
>>> disconnected at least once, and maybe doesn't report any/good signal
>>> strength values.
>>
>> The problem is likely that rtl8192cu goes mute after a disconnect. I'm
>> not sure if it happens only with WPA/WPA2 or if all encryption methods
>> are affected. I have not yet found the problem, but this and other
>> reports have increased the priority.
>>

> FYI,
>
> If you look at the logs for the instance when the furthest away AP was
> selected (info-furthest-away), At least I, see no disconnections at all.
> It selected the furthest AP yet was unusable. Yet no disconnects and
> iwconfig showed good.

I haven't noticed any activity on this. Should I just toss out all my
rtl8192cu devices? If so, can anyone recommend ANY USB wireless-N
devices that actually work as they should in Linux with Linux drivers?

Thanks and Regards
Mark