2016-03-25 23:57:03

by Till Kamppeter

Subject: Re: [lsb-discuss] Google Summer of Code 2016 - Many new applications

On 03/25/2016 04:49 AM, Evgeny Novikov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I see briefly all proposals and suggest the following.
>
> Ignore definitely trash proposals for which we even can't expect anything good:
> ABHISHEK KUMAR SINGH - AUTOMATIC GUN FIRING USING ULTRASONIC RADAR - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6488763748319232/
> Rihab - GirlySpace - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6439770653720576/
> Abraham Masri - Kedos Operating System - Proposal Draft - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5824313382928384/ (Greg marked this proposal as not valid)
> Wenhui Zhang - LLVM - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5513414914867200/ (Jan-Simon marked it as spam)
> devesh8091 - Penguin - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/4940939340546048/
> Ricky Muhammad - The Linux Foundation - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5458068905132032/ (Greg pointed what to do but the student ignored this)

I agree, all ignored now. Either no or no sufficient content or content
which does not make sense.

> This student suggested two proposals that aren't good and likely the student isn't going to improve them. So I suggest to ignore them if Greg doesn't mind:
> Sandhya - IIO driver - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5372313474170880/
> Sandhya - memory management latency tracing - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5404748865863680/

Final PDF contains exactly the same as the abstract, no info about
school, course type, already acquired knowledge, ... I would ignore
these. Greg, please confirm.

> This student creates 3 different applications for 3 different projects without providing any particular details. I see his applications a bit and this doesn't look like he really wants and can to implement something valuable. So I suggest to just ignore his proposals:
> Ravike14 - GSOC 2016- The Linux Foundation (Driver Backport) - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5414085923438592/
> Ravike14 - GSOC 2016- The Linux Foundation (Driver Backport) - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6630431633965056/
> Ravike14 - GSOC 2016- The Linux Foundation (General kernel work) - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6384381044195328/

For me the now revealed final PDFs from Ravike14 look OK. Kernel guys,
please check.

> Select one of the proposals for the same project if it isn't really required to have two or more students working concurrently/collaboratively:
> Erick 2206 - Diagnose My Ceph Cluster - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5040149662531584/ and penguinRaider - Diagnose my ceph cluster - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6137977797345280/ (at the moment both are accepted)

Chris (MacNaughton and Holcombe), can you check, you told that you had
already a student. Please "WANT TO MENTOR" and star the correct CEPH
applications.

> narendasan - Proposal for work on QEMU API for Rust - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5184290644033536/ and DrewSidman - QEMU API for Rust - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6135625933651968/ (at the moment both are accepted although the second application even doesn't have any proposal just the abstract)

Chris (MacNaughton and Holcombe), same as for the CEPH applications.

> The rest proposals (~9) are either already thoroughly reviewed and accepted or need this ASAP.

I am taking care of the 5 OpenPrinting proposals, please take care of
all the others, mark with IGNORE what you for sure do not want to mentor
and mark with a star what you want to mentor and also click "WANT TO
MENTOR" on the proposal page. Please try to get two mentors per student,
if only one is actually doing the mentoring work, the other is a backup.

Please tell if you are in doubt with something.

Till

2016-03-26 00:17:29

by Greg KH

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 08:56:58PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 03/25/2016 04:49 AM, Evgeny Novikov wrote:
> >This student suggested two proposals that aren't good and likely the student isn't going to improve them. So I suggest to ignore them if Greg doesn't mind:
> >Sandhya - IIO driver - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5372313474170880/
> >Sandhya - memory management latency tracing - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5404748865863680/
> >

> Final PDF contains exactly the same as the abstract, no info about school,
> course type, already acquired knowledge, ... I would ignore these. Greg,
> please confirm.

Yes, please ignore.

2016-03-26 19:49:59

by Luis R. Rodriguez

I just hit "want to mentor" for the backports one by Cristina-Gabriela Moraru.

Luis

2016-03-26 19:43:29

by Alexey Khoroshilov

On 26.03.2016 03:00, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 03/25/2016 08:56 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> I am taking care of the 5 OpenPrinting proposals, please take care of
>> all the others, mark with IGNORE what you for sure do not want to mentor
>> and mark with a star what you want to mentor and also click "WANT TO
>> MENTOR" on the proposal page. Please try to get two mentors per student,
>> if only one is actually doing the mentoring work, the other is a backup.
>>

> Sorry, seems that star and ignore can only be set by org admins. So
> please click "WANT TO MENTOR" if appropriate and tell me if you want
> to set or remove the star or if you want to set or remove an ignore.
>
> Till

We have got 4 good proposals in LSB category that make sense to mark
with STAR:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/4529048004853760/
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6570505653977088/
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/4921876094648320/
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/4646236401434624/

The first one suggests to make improvements in LSB Navigator.
The second proposal is to analyze if data races reported by static
analyzer in the kernel are feasible and to suggest fixes for them.
The others are related to making improvements in LDV static analyzer to
find more bugs in kernel.

We have marked them with "WANT TO MENTOR" flag.

--
Alexey

2016-03-26 14:15:43

by Greg KH

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 09:39:49PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 03/25/2016 09:18 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 09:00:27PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> >>Sorry, seems that star and ignore can only be set by org admins. So please
> >>click "WANT TO MENTOR" if appropriate and tell me if you want to set or
> >>remove the star or if you want to set or remove an ignore.
> >
> >I have clicked 'WANT TO MENTOR" on the one kernel application that I
> >think is worthy.
>
> Which one?

This one:
https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6320691074826240/

> And are then all the other kernel-related applications to be ignored?

I just went through them all again and left comments saying that they
were not even a valid proposal, so yes, I don't see anything I can even
consider for the kernel other than the above proposal.

thanks,

greg k-h

2016-03-26 00:39:53

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/25/2016 09:18 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 09:00:27PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> Sorry, seems that star and ignore can only be set by org admins. So please
>> click "WANT TO MENTOR" if appropriate and tell me if you want to set or
>> remove the star or if you want to set or remove an ignore.
>
> I have clicked 'WANT TO MENTOR" on the one kernel application that I
> think is worthy.

Which one?

And are then all the other kernel-related applications to be ignored?

Till

2016-03-26 00:36:37

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/25/2016 09:17 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 08:56:58PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> On 03/25/2016 04:49 AM, Evgeny Novikov wrote:
>>> This student suggested two proposals that aren't good and likely the student isn't going to improve them. So I suggest to ignore them if Greg doesn't mind:
>>> Sandhya - IIO driver - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5372313474170880/
>>> Sandhya - memory management latency tracing - https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5404748865863680/
>>>

>> Final PDF contains exactly the same as the abstract, no info about school,
>> course type, already acquired knowledge, ... I would ignore these. Greg,
>> please confirm.
>
> Yes, please ignore.

Done.

Till

2016-03-26 18:07:22

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/26/2016 02:04 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> Please mark these as "ignored" because they are really not even valid
> applications:
>
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6700817021140992/
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6384381044195328/
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/5181271886004224/
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6626850369437696/
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/4823798872276992/

Done.

> That should complete all applications in the "kernel" category. There
> are a bunch of CELF and "QEMU with Rust" applications that I know
> nothing about, and there doesn't seem to be a category for. I'm
> assuming someone else is going to review / mentor those.

These project ideas are from Chris Holcombe and Chris MacNaughton. They
have to decide about them.

> If there's anything else I need to do here, becides try to find a
> co-mentor, please let me know.

I am grateful if you could enter as co-mentor, especially if there is
any kernel project now which has only one mentor.

Till

2016-03-26 20:00:26

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/26/2016 04:49 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> I just hit "want to mentor" for the backports one by Cristina-Gabriela Moraru.
>
> Luis

OK. I marked this with a star now.

Till

2016-03-26 19:28:22

by Denis Silakov

I've marked this one as "want to mentor":

26.03.2016 03:00, Till Kamppeter пишет:
> On 03/25/2016 08:56 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>> I am taking care of the 5 OpenPrinting proposals, please take care of
>> all the others, mark with IGNORE what you for sure do not want to mentor
>> and mark with a star what you want to mentor and also click "WANT TO
>> MENTOR" on the proposal page. Please try to get two mentors per student,
>> if only one is actually doing the mentoring work, the other is a backup.
>>

> Sorry, seems that star and ignore can only be set by org admins. So
> please click "WANT TO MENTOR" if appropriate and tell me if you want
> to set or remove the star or if you want to set or remove an ignore.
>
> Till

Denis.

2016-03-26 16:46:45

by Greg KH

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 11:25:32AM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 03/26/2016 11:15 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> >>Which one?
> >
> >This one:
> > https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6320691074826240/
> >
> >>And are then all the other kernel-related applications to be ignored?
> >
> >I just went through them all again and left comments saying that they
> >were not even a valid proposal, so yes, I don't see anything I can even
> >consider for the kernel other than the above proposal.
>
> Thank you very much. I have marked it with a star.
>
> Can you look for a co-mentor and ask him for clicking "WANT TO MENTOR" on
> this, too?

I will look for one this week, but I can't count on finding one :)

> Can you give me a list of all the other proposals which you considered not
> worthwhile (and where we do not need to wait for another mentor's opinion)
> so that I can mark them ignored?

Ok, will go through them now...

2016-03-30 18:34:04

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/28/2016 11:42 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 03:07:18PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
>>> If there's anything else I need to do here, becides try to find a
>>> co-mentor, please let me know.
>>>

>> I am grateful if you could enter as co-mentor, especially if there is any
>> kernel project now which has only one mentor.
>
> I don't understand, we only have one kernel project with one proposed
> mentor (me) right now, are we requiring all projects to have 2 mentors
> now? I've never done it that way in the past...

Generally, a single person can mentor a student, but if something
unforeseen happens to a mentor, there is a backup. The backup mentor
actually does not need to mentor as long as there is all OK with the
primary mentor. He only needs to "WANT TO MENTOR" to later on be able to
do the evaluations if the primary mentor is not able to do so.

Till

2016-03-26 00:00:32

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/25/2016 08:56 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> I am taking care of the 5 OpenPrinting proposals, please take care of
> all the others, mark with IGNORE what you for sure do not want to mentor
> and mark with a star what you want to mentor and also click "WANT TO
> MENTOR" on the proposal page. Please try to get two mentors per student,
> if only one is actually doing the mentoring work, the other is a backup.

Sorry, seems that star and ignore can only be set by org admins. So
please click "WANT TO MENTOR" if appropriate and tell me if you want to
set or remove the star or if you want to set or remove an ignore.

Till

2016-03-26 00:18:06

by Greg KH

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 09:00:27PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> On 03/25/2016 08:56 PM, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> >I am taking care of the 5 OpenPrinting proposals, please take care of
> >all the others, mark with IGNORE what you for sure do not want to mentor
> >and mark with a star what you want to mentor and also click "WANT TO
> >MENTOR" on the proposal page. Please try to get two mentors per student,
> >if only one is actually doing the mentoring work, the other is a backup.
> >

> Sorry, seems that star and ignore can only be set by org admins. So please
> click "WANT TO MENTOR" if appropriate and tell me if you want to set or
> remove the star or if you want to set or remove an ignore.

I have clicked 'WANT TO MENTOR" on the one kernel application that I
think is worthy.

thanks,

greg k-h

2016-03-28 14:42:17

by Greg KH

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 03:07:18PM -0300, Till Kamppeter wrote:
> >If there's anything else I need to do here, becides try to find a
> >co-mentor, please let me know.
> >

> I am grateful if you could enter as co-mentor, especially if there is any
> kernel project now which has only one mentor.

I don't understand, we only have one kernel project with one proposed
mentor (me) right now, are we requiring all projects to have 2 mentors
now? I've never done it that way in the past...

thanks,

greg k-h

2016-03-26 14:25:37

by Till Kamppeter

On 03/26/2016 11:15 AM, Greg KH wrote:
>> Which one?
>
> This one:
> https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/dashboard/organization/6564234674569216/proposal/6320691074826240/
>
>> And are then all the other kernel-related applications to be ignored?
>
> I just went through them all again and left comments saying that they
> were not even a valid proposal, so yes, I don't see anything I can even
> consider for the kernel other than the above proposal.

Thank you very much. I have marked it with a star.

Can you look for a co-mentor and ask him for clicking "WANT TO MENTOR"
on this, too?

Can you give me a list of all the other proposals which you considered
not worthwhile (and where we do not need to wait for another mentor's
opinion) so that I can mark them ignored?

Till

2016-03-26 17:04:13